Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandster Hell: 3-8wks postop. Hungry with No Restriction.

Hey guys

The hunger has returned, and I can pretty much eat whatever I like. I am feeling very scared about this - so I did a bit of a search on this site and I found an awesome thread about it that is really helpful and encouraging (except some b*tchy replies! ha ha ) But I thought I'd share it with you as I feel a lot better after reading it. xx

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f178/am-i-right-angry-frustrated-92399/

Thanks Lingling...Interesting reading and definitely shows that bandster hell is very common. I understand your worries and concerns about hunger returning...I am there myself!...but I know that when we are able to have fills, however many it may take, we WILL succeed! Just know you are not alone and I understand what you are going through.

I am so hungry sometimes that I worry my surgery is not gonna work in the long run, but then I sign on and read these posts and get encouragement from people like you who are going through the same thing and I feel better. I know it is just a matter of time and we will be okay.

I have been writing down all the stuff I eat in a day and I know when I look at it that its a lot less than prior to surgery, so I take comfort in that fact. I ate a baked potato for dinner tonight (not the skin) and it really filled me up. I am so happy when I am full. I hate being hungry.

hey guys. I'm 2 weeks post opp. The staples aren't even out yet. I can eat whatever the heck I want. I have NO restriction. I'm scared that I can eat whatever I want. The dietician working with my doc said I could eat it if it didn't come up...ummm nothing is coming up. I knew about the 6 week waiting period but even having that knowledge didn't prepare me for the disappointment I feel right now. I paid this huge amount of money and did this surgery because I can't do it on my own. Telling myself to have patience, that it will happen doesn't make that piece of cake look any less inviting or my will power any stronger than it has been at any point in my life. aack.

Hey there everyone,

ling ling and moonbeam, are you able to eat the same portion sizes as before?

Lisa (banded on the 9th) is also able to eat pretty much everything she could eat before the surgery (she's had osso bucco and turkish pide with no problems though she hasn't tried steak or fresh bread). However, as scooby says, she finds she is not able to eat the same size portions as before. We went to the movies yesterday and she ordered a turkish pide filled with healthy stuff. When it came, she found she wasn't able to finish it (she ate 3/4 of it). Normally, we would eat an appetizer, then something like a pide plus a dessert. So, we're both feeling that she is doing ok 'cause even though she's eating everything, she can't eat as much of everything as she used to!

Will check out the link lingling has given - I love those threads that come complete with bitchy comments!

Hey guys thanks for the support. I realised tonight that although I can eat anything I want - the sizes are so very small in comparrison to what I used to eat. Today I had 2/3 of a chicken breast and a yoghurt and then went out to dinner and had 1/2 a peice of battered fish and about 6 chips and a 1/3 of a piece of choc cake (was my bro's birthday) and I am SO UNBELIEVEABLY FULL i want to pop and I feel disgusting. Where as before I would have eaten 2 sandwiches today, picked at something in the fridge this afternoon, had a full meal and dinner and probably a big chunk of cake. So it is still working in some respects, I just need to put it into context of pre- and post diet rather than this week and last week perhaps.

x

Ahh, Bandster Hell...I can hardly wait! I read the thread link, but not all the replies. I'm guessing they got some flack for not knowing this was going to happen. I'll be honest and say that I wasn't on here one day before I knew what bandster hell was...and I'm not sure how you could understand what a fill is and not realize that there will be a period without one, plus knowing you need several, that it won't be perfect for awhile.

I'd never berate someone for not knowing this, but I'll tell you that I'm amazed, not by how many are frustrated by bandster hell (I know I will be), but by how many are totally surprised by bandster hell. I've always said I'll be happy if I have good restriction by the fall/holidays and if it's sooner, then great. I've spent some time reminding DH about this (only person I've told) so he understands I might even be gaining weight at points. I think it's important to set realistic expectations so you're not dissapointed.

It's so hard to wait all this time, finally get your 'tool', and then have another long wait before it's really working. That's why having this group to go through this with is so important. We've got each other to vent to and give support. I wish they handed out a dose of patience with the band.

In our support group meeting we had a surgeon he sadi at this time we should eat our band protion and it still hungry have a little more. The thing to remember is that we need to take our 20-30 mins to eat the band portion, I 'm having trouble wiht this I still eat to fast and in front of the TV.

Now thwe reality it's tough I can get buy wiht the smaller portion but I'm hungry again quickly and I want to graze. Like Scooby says I'm eating less and moving more so I hope that will keep be ahead of the curve.

Well ok... I am eating less of everything (she grudgingly acknowledges) :-) I stepped on the scale today figuring with the eating I'm doing I've probably gained some weight back. I have not lost anything since i started to eat real food again, but I have not gained either. I totally agree with BG, patience is definitely needed and I would have paid extra if you could buy it.

I would have paid even more for a headband...for head hunger...I'll take a pink one please.

I'll take a double shot of patience and XL-extra strength hunger headband!

Thanks for sharing that info Lingling. What perfect timing. I was banded on April 10th, just moved to pureed foods, and started to notice that I can eat a lot more than I was able to right after the op. I was starting to get a little worried until I came across this thread. I have a two-year-old son and the desire to see him grow up is what motivates me to stick to my diet regardless of the lack of restriction. At least now I know that what I've been feeling is common and that there is a name for it. I have lost 25 pounds so far and don't want to regress so I made the decision to drink as much Water as I want to rather than to eat more during this period.

Tomorrow is my 1 week post op, and today I was really hungry most of the day. Last night at 2am I woke up from how hungry I was. I felt like I ate plenty today, as for the first 5 days I had pretty much Water and chicken broth and was fine. I think it might be dehydration. I find it so hard to drink the 64 oz of Water. I feel so weak that exercising seems out of the question too.

Its so frustrating to be so hungry so early on :unsure:

i'm so afraid to stretch my pouch or pop a stitch, that i only eat really soft food or liquids; although, i'm really trying to eventually work out the Protein shakes and be eating three meals a day and still maintain the less than 1000 cals/80+grams protein/less than 30 grams carbs per day. the thing that SUCKS is that i weigh myself everday and have seen the number not change for like three days. that's why i've decided that i'm NOT going to weigh myself until i see my doctor for my fill appointment. i think we should all weigh ourselves less b/c it's that damn scale that makes ME feel like poopie. :unsure:)

*sometimes i realllllllly wanna eat my signature meal: two cheese enchiladas, a chile rellano, and rice and Beans with lots and lots of chips and queso. oooooh god! i used to eat that like twice a week. sometimes i feel like driving to my favorite restaurants and just sitting outside in my car and crying. hAhA!

Jessica- I was craving Mexican food so badly yesterday. I went on the food nutrition thread here to see if they had any healthy ideas. Mexican & pizza are my downfalls. I love love love them. I will not deprive myself of them (when I can eat) I just have to figure out a healthier way of preparing or ordering them.

Jessica- I was craving Mexican food so badly yesterday. I went on the food nutrition thread here to see if they had any healthy ideas. Mexican & pizza are my downfalls. I love love love them. I will not deprive myself of them (when I can eat) I just have to figure out a healthier way of preparing or ordering them.

i was actually looking into it, and tamales and refried Beans are not tooooooo terrible. :blink:):drool: