Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill today 5 cc's is that normal?

I was in there today for my first fill and asked him how much this time. I was shocked to hear 5 cc's. I asked if that was normal and he said that they are doing bigger fills because of the realize band. After I had it done I felt a bit funny drinking Water and eating crackers, and now i'm still feeling a bit blah. Nothing has come up, but i'm also dealing with a sore throat and umm stomach issues so not sure if that's making it all worse.

Just wondering if anyone else had their first fill so high?

Nm found out about sliming and pb. On the slime note I have been having serious saliva issues after I got home. It was so gross I was swallowing and spitting it out whenever i was near a trash can. Still having issues. Gross!

Edited by Kharadriisa

My first fills were big as well . . . and to me it was a blessing because I got to my sweet spot on my second fill. I was able to lose almost all of my weight on that second fill by having good hunger control.

As long as you tolerate the fills OK and you are not pb'ing or experiencing problems like reflux, it is better to hit your sweet spot early on as opposed to doing .5-1 cc's at a time and not getting to your sweet spot until more than 6 months out post banding.

Also remember that the Realize bands are not usually pre-billed but other varieties do have a little fill once they are fitted in place. In this case, you would need a little bigger fill to get you in line with the other band varieties.

My first fill was 4cc and there was .6cc in the band left from the doctor testing it when he placed it. I was fine in the office but within a half hour, I couldn't swallow Water or my own spit. Had to go right back and have 1cc removed. It felt like there was this huge chunk of ice in my chest that melted even while the NP was removing that little bit of saline! I've since had .5cc put back in and go for another fill on Tuesday morning. And I'm hoping for somewhere around 1cc, which would take me to 5.1 hopefully without it being too much. 5ccs was a big enough fill that I can imagine it was a bit of a shock to your system. If the excess saliva continues or if you have any other problems, call the doctor!

I had 4.4 cc on my first fill. After the fill, I didn't have any problem keeping all type of the food down. As a matter of fact, I was able to eat more than before the fill. So today I went and got a second and the PA was only giving me 0.5 cc. I was really disappointed as I was expecting at least 2 cc. Anyway, shouldn't you stay on liquid diet for one or two days after your fill? I am asking because I see that you are trying on crackers already. I think maybe that was part of the cause of your sliming. It's always a good idea to give your doctor a call and asking him about the sliming issue.

Edited by EmmaWang

I had 5.5 on first fill. It changed the way I would eat..ruined my playhouse. The weight was sliding off, now, 2 lbs a week and food will come back up for a second vote some days. Mornings are difficult to do anything but a Protein shake...but, i love the band and waiting now for sweet spot so the weight begins to fade again. -46

I had 4.4 cc on my first fill. After the fill, I didn't have any problem keeping all type of the food down. As a matter of fact, I was able to eat more than before the fill. So today I went and got a second and the PA was only giving me 0.5 cc. I was really disappointed as I was expecting at least 2 cc. Anyway, shouldn't you stay on liquid diet for one or two days after your fill? I am asking because I see that you are trying on crackers already. I think maybe that was part of the cause of your sliming. It's always a good idea to give your doctor a call and asking him about the sliming issue.

The doctor made me eat the crackers to see if I could tolerate it. Normally not a big cracker eater :lol: I was told to take it easy to chew like mad and make sure not to eat too much. Didn't say anything about Protein shake. I ate 3 pieces of 99% fat free slices of turkey and had no problem. Still feeling full from it which is great.

HELP - Had the lapband 2 years ago and now see a new surgeon due to insurance changes.

I have had 4 fills and 2 removals within 3 months! The fills were between .5 - 2.cc's. I have a band that is 10cc but only holds 5 cc's total (at least that's what this new surgeon is telling me). My problem is very strange. I asked her to please "start over" since we couldn't get the dosage to a comfortable level. So 5 days ago she put 2.75 cc and I was able to eat way too much. I went today and she did an upper GI in the office and it shows some restriction but she was only able to pull out .5 cc. The upper GI w/dye showed no leak??? So she just put in another 2. cc and the upper GI again showed more of a restriction, but I can still eat a ton of food.

Any idea of what may be happening here?

The doctor made me eat the crackers to see if I could tolerate it. Normally not a big cracker eater :smile2: I was told to take it easy to chew like mad and make sure not to eat too much. Didn't say anything about Protein shake. I ate 3 pieces of 99% fat free slices of turkey and had no problem. Still feeling full from it which is great.

Hi, how are you feeling today? Still sliming? If you still are, I think it is probably a good idea for you to stay on liquid tomorrow. I know that every doctor is different. However, with an aggressive fill for 5 cc, your pouch area could be irritated and it needs time to recover. As for me, I am still on liquid today (my doctor requires two days liquid and two days soft food following the fill), so I have been hungry throughout the day. I miss the solid food so much.

Haven't been able to post updates :/ Had to goto the er Sunday morning cause I was having trouble breathing and lovely wheezing. Have bronchitis :/ It's midnight and i'm still up coughing. I have barely eaten since my fill :/ It's not too tight I just don't have much of an appetite. Hopefully it'll get better once I knock this out of my system.

I think I was having the saliva issue cause of my sore throat. I remember doing that alot and how much it hurt going down. Been spitting it out as much as I can, but it's random. Happened this morning, but i didn't eat anything until 1 30 pm. So not sure what that was about.

Hopefully the antibiotics will have kicked in when I get up in about 6 hours :/

I have a 10 cc band and my first fill was five cc's. Second was 1 cc but I had thrown up recently before the fill (the nurse said I could have a fill anyway - BIG mistake) and couldn't swallow my own spit after. Next day I had 1.25cc removed, and today (6 days later) I had 1cc put back in. So now I'm at 5.75cc and pray that this will be a good restriction level. With 5 cc in my band I had almost no restriction, and could eat everything in pretty large quantities.

I went for my first fill today. She said she always starts with a standard 5cc and then had me drink some Water. It felt a little funny so she removed some. This process seemed to work and I'm left with 4.2cc.

I'll be on liquids until Friday.