Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I keep this a secret?

Lindas0809 - I am going through St. Agnes Hospital. I have been going through the initial meetings, and Dr visits. I have my what I beleive to be last appt May 4th, if all of my testing is completed and back to them by then, they will submit all to the Ins co for approval. So I am hoping June as well.

Best of luck at Hopkins, do they have a nice program? I have been happy with St. Agnes's.:crying:

I am so glad that you asked this question. I have been wondering the same thing. I am still in the approval process, waiting to see if the gods of blue cross/blue shield will cover. So far I have only told my husband and he thinks it's dumb and stupid and I should just eat less. Well. HELLO...! I've tried that a milllion times, along with everything else under the sun. I can't do any impact exercise due to severe arthritis, but do use my stationary bike. I have read all the replies and since I am generally a "no secrets" type of person, I prob will tell, but maybe not right away. Not saying anything until I find out if it's a "go" or not. Thanks for the insight, friends.

Secrets... baby I keep em to myself. I have my own secret world of WLS I just keep them wondering.

I just flat out started telling everyone because it's too complicated to beat around the bush. Also, its misleading to others if you try to pretend you did it on your own. I was really disgusted with Star Jones after she lied about it. Way to made people feel like sh*t by leading them to believe they don't have as much willpower as you.

I have not kept my surgery a secret...my niece did give me crap about doing it at first but then she came around. Everyone from work to family have been super supportive. I do not regret telling anyone.

I agree with the others. Just do what you feel is right for you. The only person that I told was my husband-that works for me, but might not be the right things for someone else to do

Hello, I'm a hair stylist as well, and all the girls I work with are great friends and I have told everyone. Told them, they have been very supportive, but have also expressed their concern for my safety. I have even told some of my clients, your right, they see you every six weeks or so they are going to notice. If you don;t feel good about telling others you are being banded, you could tell them you are just controlling your portion size because it is true.

I would think it would depend on how close you are to your fellow co-workers.

Good luck with your journey and if you ever have any questions just ask. I think it would be great to chat with a fellow stylist. Also where in Missouri are you and where will you be having surgery?

I was banded this past Friday. I made the decision to tell only family and friends. The people I work with think I am on a medically supervised diet similar to Lindora. If I could offer any advice it would be to take a week off after the surgery if you are not telling your employer. I went back to work the following Monday after my surgery and was very bothered by my bra rubbing on my stitches and a slight pain from the incision sites. Since I did not tell anyone at work about the surgery I was left to deal with being uncomfortable in silence.

My family and friends are very supportive. Several people including my husband thought it was an unnecessary decision. Loosing weight should be something I am capable of doing myself with out surgery. However once I explained why I thought the band would work for me they grew to accept my decision too. I could not have entered into this journey without the support of I have received. I know I am truly blessed.

My friend once told me that I would be surprised how many people are in my corner if I only opend up and said what I was doing. She was right once I decieded to open up to those I love. It became clear how much I was supported and loved back.

Good luck on your journey! I hope you get all the support you need to get you through this new chapter in your life.

The older I get the less inclined I am to keep secrets. I really don't care who knows or what they think about it. As far as not telling husbands how much your weight is -- I am over that too. I married my first husband at 19 and would have died before I told him how much I weighed. I married my second and current husband at 38 and he was standing right next to me at the doctors when I got weighed. As I approach forty (in a couple of weeks) my attitude is take me as I am, baby!:thumbup:

Edited by TSB
typo