Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did you pay in Mexico?

I am new here. I don't have the band yet. I am still checking into my options. I can't find a doctor near me to do the surgery. I live in UT. My BMI is 31. But I have been struggling with my weight for 10 years and nothing is working. It is like no matter how much I eat, I am not full. Just to maintain my current weight is a struggle, believe it or not. I think that mexico may be my only option to get the surgery, because of my low bmi. But I really think this surgery could work for me and help me reach my goals. I am considering Dr. Ortiz, but I am not sure. I have never been to Mexico. They said the surgery is $9,500. It sounds like Ortiz is a good doctor, but if I knew how much everyone else paid, I might feel better about spending the money. It is alot of $ for me. I am also nervous about the pain right after the surgery. What is it like right after? I have a little boy and couldn't stand much down time. Also, does anyone know a doctor in UT or surrounding states who will accept a MX banded patient for fills etc? Any comments, support, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello Heather, Welcome to LBT

I used Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey Mx I believe his cost now is about 9K, and I use Dr. McKeen for my fills.

Dr. McKeen flies cash pateints to his Utah office because the cost is 14,5 total vrs. 20K in Calif. (hospital costs) www.southbaybariatrics.com is his Calif. web-sight.

I've heard mention of Dr. Green in Utah doing fills.

I have a 4 year old boy, who was 2 when I got my band. I handled surgery very well and was back to work in 4 days. We are all very different.

Good luck, I'll see if I can get more info for you.

I had surgery with Dr. Ortiz in 2004 and paid 8995.00 but I know his fee has gone up to 9500.00

My pain was very very minimal, I only took liquid tylenol for pain and I immediately got up and walked the halls after surgery every hour to start moving the gas around which I beleive helps with pain since alot of your pain is gas pain. I actually took a cab to downtown TJ and walked aropund and went shopping the day after surgery. I was amazed at how good I felt. I have not heard of too many Ortiz patiens who have horrible after pain. Maybe it is his technique who knows but he is definately good at what he does.

best of luck to you on your decision, I do not regret mine one single bit Tj was a good experience for me as well as Dr. Ortiz

Vera, so McKeen still has an office in UT? I was looking on the internet (did not ph call his office), but it appeared that he no longer worked in UT. Also, do you know what city in UT McKeen and Green work from? Thanks for the help. Heather

I copied this from Ruthie

I found a dr. in Payson Utah that will do fills on Mexican patients. He uses flouro and his price was $250. $100 in cash for the Dr. and then $150 for the hosptial. I had a great experience and will be using him when I'm back in Utah.
If you're interested Dr. Green's contact information is 801/465-7089. they are in Mountain View Hospital in Payson. When you call you'll get the radiology department and they'll schedule it for you. One of the ladies that does the scheduling had lap band done a year ago.

Go ahead and E-mail Dr. McKeen office www.southbaybariatrics.com. I believe he does the surgery in Payson as well.

Hi Heather! I just had my band put in by Dr.Ortiz on 8/19 and I think I made a great choice. They were all extremely friendly and I had very little pain all things considered. My scars look great and its only 2 weeks out. I have a 2 year old son and a 3 year old daughter so I haven't exactly been lying around since coming home. I also went back to work 4 days after surgery and it was fine. The worst for me was the first 3 days post op, but regular motrin worked well. I still can not pick up my kids because they weigh too much. But it really has not been bad at all! And I'd do it again.

Guest GABRIEL

I Am Leaving In The Morning For Mexico With Dr.sanchez Having Surgery On Friday Morning, Little Nervous!!! Any Suggestions?

Grebriel, Your in great hands with Dr. Sanchez and his staff. Travel lite, they usually have propel and Jello at the guest house and Alma can get you almost anything you may need.

Tell them Vera's sending kisses. They're very loveing people.

So I guess from what you all have said, the going rate for MX is about $9,000. It is such a shame that my ins won't pay for this. Sometimes I feel like gaining the extra 50 pounds so that I can be considered "morbid" so they will pay the bill and so I won't have to go to MX if I go forward with this.

I called Dr. Green's office and was actually able to talk to Dr. Green. He said that he has about 80 patients that have had the lap band surgery in mexico. He said that at first, he was skeptical about people going to mexico for surgery, but now that he has seen so many patients that had the surgery in mexico, he is actually very impressed with the mexican surgeons. He said that they do a good job - very neat and clean he said, and his patients report nice facilities. I asked him if he were sending his daughter to MX, who would he have her go to. He said there is a Dr. Cury in TJ, a Dr. Diaz in Montery (sp?), and a Dr. Sanchez in Puerte Vierte (sp?). He said he has seen alot of these doctors' patients and their work has been good. I asked him if he has seen patients who went to Dr. Ortiz and he said yes and that Ortiz was very good. I can't tell you how exciting it is to hear an american doctor singing praises about the doctors in Mexico. Dr. Green says that he does not do the surgery, but if I get the surgery done in MX, he will take care of me from there on out. He is in Payson and that is only an hour drive from my home. Now I really want to do it. Decisions.....

I paid $8,000 with Dr. Sanchez but of course had the additional price of the airplane ticket, about $400 from Oklahoma City. I was really happy with Dr. Sanchez and the wonderful hospital in Monterrey. Please feel free to IM me or e-mail me if you want to ask me anything.

I asked him if he has seen patients who went to Dr. Ortiz and he said yes and that Ortiz was very good.

Where others may not agree with me..I think Ortiz is great! I'm very happy with him and the aftercare I have recieved from him, he has gone beyond my expectations that is for sure..its great to hear U.S docs singing praise for the MX docs and some are finally taking the MX patients on as patients as their own.

My surgery was done by Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey. I paid $11000, but have heard recent quotes of about $8500. I drive down to TJ to see Dr. Kuri for my fills, because I live in Southern California, and that is easier for me than flying back to see Dr. Rumbaut. Both of them are really excellent surgeons, and both of them have their own bands installed, so they *know* what we are going through. Dr. Kuri has a couple of different pricing plans based on 2 hospitals you can choose from. I've not been to the hospitals, only the radiology office. The hospital in Monterrey was beautiful, and I had my own very large private room with a pull out couch for the person who came with me.