Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize band..

I actually saw it around one of those little diagrams they have in the office you know the little stomachs? Well when I went to the appointment last week I looked over and I saw another one with the "realize" band and I tell ya our bands are alot wider! Which makes sense to lessening the chance of slippage although it still can happen, but it was nice to see what it looks like and no it was not in a triangler like most are claiming...

I actually saw it around one of those little diagrams they have in the office you know the little stomachs? Well when I went to the appointment last week I looked over and I saw another one with the "realize" band and I tell ya our bands are alot wider! Which makes sense to lessening the chance of slippage although it still can happen, but it was nice to see what it looks like and no it was not in a triangler like most are claiming...

My Dr had both bands in his office for me to see the difference, hold and "play with" I found it really nice to be able to hold the band in my own hand and know what was going in my body.

Yes Realize is wider and also not as rigid as the lap-band band that I saw. I am very comfortable with my decision.

Oh yes I am definately happy with the band and seeing it in person well just added to the fact that I indeed made the right decision!! You have lost alot faster than I but at the same time I am very content with my loss so far SLOW but it's a loss right?!?!?!

Oh yes I am definately happy with the band and seeing it in person well just added to the fact that I indeed made the right decision!! You have lost alot faster than I but at the same time I am very content with my loss so far SLOW but it's a loss right?!?!?!

I lost 24lbs during my insurance mandated 6mnth Dr supervised diet. I'm down about 13lbs and today is day 21 for me....so While I'm not dropping 20-30lbs like some ppl I'm happy with my results. I would rather be a little slower so that my body has a chance to keep up (or atleast that is what I'm hoping for).

Oh I see, well I don't feel deprived I do know that like I have said and told on myself many times I have failed and cheated what ever you want to call it but yet still stayed on track if you will, and yes slow and steady wins the race I keep thinking. I am so happy with it becasue I would have never lost 60lb in a year gained maybe but not lost!!!!!

Oh I see, well I don't feel deprived I do know that like I have said and told on myself many times I have failed and cheated what ever you want to call it but yet still stayed on track if you will, and yes slow and steady wins the race I keep thinking. I am so happy with it becasue I would have never lost 60lb in a year gained maybe but not lost!!!!!

Slinderella, where did you have your surgery? I went to Topeka - St Francis Hosp, Dr. Berntsen. I live in Independence, MO, and there are options in KCMO area, but as a Medicare patient, I found the Tallgrass surgeons to have better coverage. I am delighted with my choice of surgeon and my Realize band. I have good restriction after the 3rd fill (total of 6cc), but I am able to eat anything I have tried - bread, salad, Pasta, etc. Because of that it might be easier to eat foods that are not the best choice for good nutrition, but I concentrate on Protein and vegies/fruit, and small amounts of whole grains. I have occasionally been a little "stuck" when I have eaten too fast, but have not pb'd on anything. My losses have been slower than some, but consistent, and I am very happy with the outcome so far. I am finding as time goes by food has not been the primary focus of my life(!). I do think about it, but not in the old way - rather just planning how I will be able to eat what I need to eat to stay on the program. We are on vacation now - visiting with family in Korea - and I am finding that eating out in a foreign country can be a challenge for a banded person! But I've lost 3 pounds since arriving here last week! Lots more physical activity...

Good luck to all new banded people. Make good choices and move!

Hello Joann I had my surgery in Overland Park actually at the Weight loss Surgical Center. I am very pleased with the care I have had there, at first I was confused as to why I was not able to get restriction the nurse was going slow with my fills now I know why and am happy he did. I am at 8.7ccs and cannot eat breads and such which is good becasue I would eat it if I could. Now I can say I look at eating much different like you I have to plan what I am going to be able to eat even when going out. Mostly though we are stay at home eaters my hubby is from mexico and well he likes home cooked food but on occasion we do go out and there again I plan...good luck!

Hey Joann! My name is Jackie and I too had my surgery done at Tallgrass with Dr. Berntsen! I just got banded 2 days ago. Still pretty sore and this gas pain is not fun! hoping I will be feeling ok to go back to work on Monday. I am supposed to start my FULL liquid phase today. I am nervous about it, but I am looking forward to having the taste of "food" in my mouth again! So glad to find someone that had the same surgeon as me. You are the first so far!

Hey Joann! My name is Jackie and I too had my surgery done at Tallgrass with Dr. Berntsen! I just got banded 2 days ago. Still pretty sore and this gas pain is not fun! hoping I will be feeling ok to go back to work on Monday. I am supposed to start my FULL liquid phase today. I am nervous about it, but I am looking forward to having the taste of "food" in my mouth again! So glad to find someone that had the same surgeon as me. You are the first so far!

Hi Jackie,

Great to hear from you. I've talked to one other person who had Dr. Berntsen - she lives in Manhattan, KS. I haven't heard from her for a while. I really do like Dr. B - she's a no-nonsense kind of woman, but though she is busy, takes time with her patients. I like her staff, as well. They are on top of things. I hope your experience is as pleasant as mine has been. Just be sure you are following the dietary rules for the next few weeks - it's time for healing, not weight loss (unless you are very lucky!). I recall losing during the liquid stages, then went to mushies and the losing slowed waayy down. I did lose a little, though, and I did have some restriction as I went to regular food. I have 6cc now and have pretty good restriction. I'll probably visit Dr. B in May for a little tweak.

Good luck - stay in touch!

Thanks for posting the difference in the bands. My Doctor is giving me the option and I just don't know what to do. Now after reading your post about what it looks like, I definitely want the Realize Band being that you said it was wider. That will definitely have less slippage. And the other replies also seemed to indicate that you get to eating food sooner then the other. My daughter had the regular band over a year ago and she has had no problems at all. But being that I am older I realize I will have a different experience and have been worried about slippage etc.

Choosing the REalize band thanks to everyone's input. Good luck!