Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UPDATE: I got my second opinion today...

For those who have been following my drama here is a re-cap of my situation.

Sept. 2008: surgery - I WAS MY SURGEON'S 23RD BAND PATIENT.

Nov. 2008: First fill of 2cc

Jan. 2009: Upper GI

February 2009: Second fill of 1cc

Problems start here: reflux, heartburn, pain when eating.

Feb. 2009: Went to see doctor about above problems. He said just eat Protein, throw the rest of the food away and take Vitamins. Ordered an endoscopy.

March 9, 2009: Had endoscopy. Gastro doctor said band had slipped up or doctor had intentionally placed it high. Said I had a hiatal hernia.

March 19, 2009: Had the second upper GI ordered by doctor.

March 19, 2009: When he saw the results called me in right away for an unfill of 1cc. Very different attitude. Showed me how the esophagus & pouch were swollen. I have felt better.

Now to the second opinion in red:

Doctor said it appeared the band had slipped slightly in the second upper GI film. But he wouldn't do anything about that right now. He said my operative report says I have a #10 band - which is a specific model of band - that holds 4cc. They don't use it much anymore. My surgeon's nurse has told me that I have an AP Standard Lapband that holds 10 cc's. If I have the former, it would explain why only 3cc's caused me to be too tight. You better believe I am going to get to the bottom of exactly what kind of band I have. I am calling tomorrow.

This doctor was very happy with my weight loss and said I have lost a year's worth of weight in 6 months. He said if I were his patient he would be very happy. He did calculations based on what the band is promoted as allowing you to lose each year, etc..and he said I have done great. I have not heard this from my doctor.

He is going to write this all up and send it to me. My doctor suggested I get a second opinion but he had his partner in mind. I was not about to go to another inexperienced doctor. Lots to discuss at my next appt.

Why don't I just change doctors? Because this doctor is an hour away in the city and I have high anxiety driving, especially in the city and my current doctor is 15 minutes away in the next town. But it might come to that.

So....stay tuned for continuing drama in my band experience.....

I was armed with all of my test results, operative report and two CD's of my upper GI's. It is very important that we all do this and review our tests results and keep them on file. Sometimes, they can be a real eye-opener.

Hi. Sorry you're having problems but

1. newbies a lesson here...pick a surgeon with experience and

2. Get an anxiety med and go to the new doctor. Quit being the guinea pig for the old one! :smile:

Good luck!

oh cleo's mom i have been following you & yes you should change dr's.....but get the proper information regarding what band you do actually have.

my discharge papers gave me the warranty & box my band came in - serial number etc.....BIG diff between the APS standard than what you have.

my surgeon is an hr away - and went into private practice from true results 6 months ago; moving another 20mins north of me. geographically undesirable - YES; but he's done thousands of bands & will see me as fast as i can get there if needed.

keep us posted -

Hi Cleo's mom, my name is bob . Im from Greensburg Pa, I am wondering if your Dr. is from Westmoreland hospital?

I started my program there and found out the drs. only did 22 lap surgeries(this was back in October) so I decided to quit program and go to Mgee. Im in my sixth month and am very happy with them. When i told my dr.(Corcoulis)about westmoreland's program she said they do at least 22 surgeries in a week, that they have performed thousands. I knew this is where i wanted to have mine done. If your not from Greensburg(Westmoreland hospital) I apologize for this long story but it just sounded familiar. Good luck

Loserbob - I sent you a private message about this.

Restless- A month before my surgery I posted on this site about my surgeon's having only done 22 prior bandings. Most did not think it was a problem. I agree now that experience is important but no one was telling me that then.

Cleo's Mom,

Those type of experiences you've had at your surgeon's office can directly affect how your band works! I had a similar situation but in the opposite way where the tech thought I had the "smaller" band and put in too little (twice) and thinking all along that I should have restriction until I finally went and had my surgeon put in the next fill and he found out the error she had made. Then he put in more than I needed at the time. The tech also wrote down the wrong amount gave me too much and I needed an emergency unfill.

So my band never worked for me but I do think that these types of mistakes contributed to my not being successful with the band and my eventual removal and now revision to RNY. I hope you're able to keep yours and work out the problems but as you can see there are more and more revising to sleeves and other types of WLS here at LBT who when I was searching in the beginning to figure out why my band wasn't working like everyone else it appeared here no one seemed to have problems unless they PM'd me secretly to let me know. Now things have really changed. Good luck to you and I hope you stay healthy! Nancy.

Cleo's Mom...I'm truly sorry I missed your post! I back stalked and see it was 8/25...which is right before I had my 2nd surgery. Not that I take on too much LOL but I try to always post when someone asks "Is it ok to get an inexperienced surgeon"...

I don't know that your decision would've been different but at least I would have been one voice of discontent. Maybe someone else will learn from this! BUT I'm really sorry about your circumstances. I wish I could've helped you!

Seriously though; really really contemplate staying with him. Aftercare is almost as important as the band itself and you have been his experiment long enough, don't you think? (and no I don't know either of the surgeons involved and have no hidden agenda)

We all deserve great care and you aren't getting it.

Good luck! :smile:

Update part 2: I called my doctor's office and of course his nurse is off for the rest of the week so I asked the other nurse for the catalog reference number and serial number of my band. She called back and told me that I had to call medical records. They told me I have to complete an authorization form, which they are mailing me. And the beat goes on....Someone in that hospital had better know what model band I have in me.