Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Out, Sleeve In! It's done.

Thank you to everyone for their support.

I took a 6 hour flight to CA on 3/31 and arrived in San Diego at 11:30 "their time". The driver, Ernesto, was waiting for me at the baggage area and put my luggage in the van and drove me, and another passenger, to Mexacali. This drive was about 2 hours long.

I was taken directly to the hospital where they were waiting for me and had blood work, urinalysis, EKG, chest x-ray, and then an esophagram to evaluate and completely unfil my band. The last stop was meeting with the coordinator to get pre and post-op instructions and to pay the balance for the surgery.

I was told I could have anything I wanted to eat (was on a 30 gram/day carb diet for the week prior to surgery) and driven to the Lucerna Resort which is beautiful. As I worked the night before, I elected to have the sandwich and Protein Bar I brought with me, showered, and fell asleep. I took the antibiotic they gave me before I went to sleep but did not take the ativan.

At 7 AM on 4/1, I was picked up and taken to my room in the hospital. I was seen by a medical internist who reviewed my tests (all good), an assistant surgeon (who was sleeved the day after me), an anesthesiologist, and finally, by the surgeon, Dr. Aceves. All questions were answered and I was the second sleeve of the day.

I got dramamine and versed to take 30 minutes prior to the OR and that knocked me out. LOL. My IV was inserted in the OR and I had spinal and general anesthesia. The spinal dramatically decreases the amount of general needed. Since I don't do well with general (severe nausea), I elected for the spinal too and had NO problems in the recovery room.

All I remember about the recovery room was being asked if I had pain... nope, and being told I was going back to my room. I got some IV pain medication at @ 4 AM and then had sublingual (under the tongue) toradol @ 1 PM. For me, this surgery was a lot less painful than the band.

At noon, I had to drink small sips of Water. An hour after that I drank apple juice with a blue dye in it. This is the second test (first done in OR) for leaks. I have a drain near where the port was and the hope is that no blue color comes through to the bag. I passed. After that, I was brought hot tea, tang OJ, and apple juice. My IV was taken out this evening.

Tomorrow morning, I go for the last leak test and will have to drink a radiograffin substance. If I pass that test (and I have no doubt I will), the drain gets removed at noon. I will leave the hospital at 5:45 AM on Saturday to make my flight in San Diego for home. I have nothing but positive things to say about this experience. As a registered nurse I was very watchful and am impressed with the care, cleanliness, and professionalism I observed.

Thank you to everyone for their support.

I took a 6 hour flight to CA on 3/31 and arrived in San Diego at 11:30 "their time". The driver, Ernesto, was waiting for me at the baggage area and put my luggage in the van and drove me, and another passenger, to Mexacali. This drive was about 2 hours long.

I was taken directly to the hospital where they were waiting for me and had blood work, urinalysis, EKG, chest x-ray, and then an esophagram to evaluate and completely unfil my band. The last stop was meeting with the coordinator to get pre and post-op instructions and to pay the balance for the surgery.

I was told I could have anything I wanted to eat (was on a 30 gram/day carb diet for the week prior to surgery) and driven to the Lucerna Resort which is beautiful. As I worked the night before, I elected to have the sandwich and Protein bar I brought with me, showered, and fell asleep. I took the antibiotic they gave me before I went to sleep but did not take the ativan.

At 7 AM on 4/1, I was picked up and taken to my room in the hospital. I was seen by a medical internist who reviewed my tests (all good), an assistant surgeon (who was sleeved the day after me), an anesthesiologist, and finally, by the surgeon, Dr. Aceves. All questions were answered and I was the second sleeve of the day.

I got dramamine and versed to take 30 minutes prior to the OR and that knocked me out. LOL. My IV was inserted in the OR and I had spinal and general anesthesia. The spinal dramatically decreases the amount of general needed. Since I don't do well with general (severe nausea), I elected for the spinal too and had NO problems in the recovery room.

All I remember about the recovery room was being asked if I had pain... nope, and being told I was going back to my room. I got some IV pain medication at @ 4 AM and then had sublingual (under the tongue) toradol @ 1 PM. For me, this surgery was a lot less painful than the band.

At noon, I had to drink small sips of Water. An hour after that I drank apple juice with a blue dye in it. This is the second test (first done in OR) for leaks. I have a drain near where the port was and the hope is that no blue color comes through to the bag. I passed. After that, I was brought hot tea, tang OJ, and apple juice. My IV was taken out this evening.

Tomorrow morning, I go for the last leak test and will have to drink a radiograffin substance. If I pass that test (and I have no doubt I will), the drain gets removed at noon. I will leave the hospital at 5:45 AM on Saturday to make my flight in San Diego for home. I have nothing but positive things to say about this experience. As a registered nurse I was very watchful and am impressed with the care, cleanliness, and professionalism I observed.

Elisabeth.. having talked to you about an hour ago you sound GREAT!

Welcome... welcome to having your life back!

hello Iam glad everything went well:smile:. I will be having sugery with Dr A as well, so your story really helped me, i enjoyed reading about your surgery. I will be having surgery the in May and I cant wait,:confused: since my surgery is not that far from yours, we should keep in touch with each other progress.

I just did the last test to make sure there were no leaks and passed. The penrose drain will be coming out in a few hours and I've been walking a lot. I'm packing for the return trip and will be leaving Mexico at 5:45 AM. Dr. Aceves gives you copies of ALL the tests/results you had and writes a brief note so you can give it to your primary physician. They also give you a 2 week supply of Nexium and some sublingual pain medication in case you need it. I've only needed pain medication a total of 3 times since I arrived.

Ilovejames, you'll be in good hands with Dr. Aceves and his team. I'll definitely post to keep you updated.

Congratulations! Thanks for the details of your experience. It's really helpful. Glad you're feeling well. Do you know if all sleeve patients are on Nexum? Is it a permanent thing?

Congratulations! Thanks for the details of your experience. It's really helpful. Glad you're feeling well. Do you know if all sleeve patients are on Nexum? Is it a permanent thing?

Noooooo, it's not permanent. Your stomach continues to produce enough acid for a whole stomach in the beginning. The Nexium is to prevent problems.

Once you are sleeved, if you have reflux it's a weird kinda "hungry" feeling. It's not true hunger, but food makes that feeling go away so we perceive it as hunger. Nexium prevents it from happening to begin with. Dr. A requests we take it for six months but truth be told, some need it for a few days, some need it for six months. In my case the band did a job on my stomach/esophagus and I still take it this far out. But I have a lot of damage due to banding so I am unique.

I'm responding because when I talked to Elisabeth earlier today she was packing up her computer and wasn't sure she'd have access to her computer until late Sat eve when she gets home. I'm assuming she'll be pretty tired and not respond until Sun AM.

Do you know if all sleeve patients are on Nexum? Is it a permanent thing?

Most are put on a PPI. It can be Nexum, but Prilosec is really popular because it's OTC.

My surgeon puts everyone on for a month and then different people come off at different times. I came off it around 4 months out but then I ended up going back on it.

Eventually your stomach learns to only make enough acid for its new size and you don't need an acid-reducer.

I am glad to hear that it didn't sound very painful for you Elizabeth. I so wish I could have had my surgery at the same time as you and Susan!

I will be anxious to hear how you're feeling over the next couple of weeks, since I have no idea how much time I will need off work.

Please keep us all posted!

Thanks to everyone. I left Mexico at 5:45 AM yesterday and made it home at 9:45 PM... a LONG trip. The worst part was sitting on the plane so long but I felt much better when I got off and walked the entire length of the airport to the baggage area. My advice is to keep moving.

Sleeping in my own med was heaven! The hospital gives you a 2 week supply of dissolvable nexium and 8 sublingual pain pills. I took nothing for pain today (post-op day 4). For the first time in years, I laid flat on my back on one pillow and had no heart burn and no regurgitation. The most discomfort is on my left side where the drain was and where they took the port out. It's not unusual to be able to sleep on your left side for several weeks.

My suture lines are all healing nicely and the sutures are dissolvable. Continued drainage from the penrose drain is to be expected for up to 10 days or so. I shower and wash with soap, pat dry, and fold a gauze pad over the wound and paper tape it in place. It doesn't drain through.

I'm sore and tired and still am trying to move the gas out of my body. Yesterday, my back hurt and now that's gone. Today, it's my left shoulder and when I get up and move, the pain lessens.

As for work, I am already correcting dissertation proposals from my students (my P/T job). I will return to work in the hospital on Wed. No heavy lifting is allowed for 4-6 weeks post-op and no swimming or soaking in a tub is allowed until after 15 days (don't want bacteria entering the drain site).

I guess that's the update for now.

I bet you are so glad to be home and have all this behind you. Keep a stiff upperlip as you go through your liquid phase, it goes faster than you think.

Good Luck to you!

Hi all,

I just lost my band a few weeks ago and underwent a partial gastrectomy. It is a very modified sleeve but the surgeon suggested if I start gaining weight I may want to complete the sleeve..My question is, how much does the sleeve cost in a mexican hospital. I am private pay and dont think I can afford another 18K. I am not sure that I need it yet since I am still losing weight but that may just be from my healing stage from the partial gastrectomy. Any info would be helpful.

Ruthi

Hi all,

I just lost my band a few weeks ago and underwent a partial gastrectomy. It is a very modified sleeve but the surgeon suggested if I start gaining weight I may want to complete the sleeve..My question is, how much does the sleeve cost in a mexican hospital. I am private pay and dont think I can afford another 18K. I am not sure that I need it yet since I am still losing weight but that may just be from my healing stage from the partial gastrectomy. Any info would be helpful.

Ruthi

I don't know, I know for a revision it's $12,500 with my doc but that is having to remove the band as well. I'm assuming $9,500?

Why didn't they just do your sleeve while you were already under? Why make you go through another procedure if you don't mind my asking?

May I ask why you had a partial gastrectomy? Erosion? Something where damage was done to your stomach?