Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need products and advice

Hello. I'm new to the forum and looking for a few things. They may already be here somewhere and I'm just missing them. I'm looking for products that you all use to make having the band easier (like a blender, scale or even food items) and also advice now that you have the band that you would tell someone who is scared and not banded yet.

Thank you in advance. :smile2:

Hi. I was just banded 3 weeks ago and had the wonderful opportunity to meet a patient of my surgeon who gave me a lot of tips.

To reduce bruising: Take arnica montana pellets (I had no bruising at incisions.)

To blend food: The magic bullet (Its available online and at bed, bath and beyond. (Its small and works quite well!)

To reduce gas: Besides walking, which works best, try Gas-X strips.

For protein: I use Iso Pure Protein powder. I like the chocolate and vanilla powder. It comes in many flavors and is available at GNC and The Vitamin Shoppe. (At GNC, you can return flavors you don't like, which is good because they come in large canisters.)

** You should also get a compression garment to wear around your belly. It helps with pain and makes you feel more secure. I was able to get it at the hospital so ask your doctor!

I guess that's all I have for now. If you have a support group near you I suggest you go. I'm going to one tonight for WLS.

Take care and good luck!

hi i was banded january 13th 09. had to do six months dietian classes took me 11 months my list consist of

free fluids (clear)

water

crystal light

fruit20

sugar free popsicles

fat free/low salt broth

herbal tea (artifical sweetner)that was first 2weeks after surgery

fluids with calories

carnation instant Breakfast drink or mix no sugar added

ensure

boost

atkins ready to drink

isopure in a bottle

advantage carb control slimfast

dont forget your Vitamins for morning& noght i take Flinstones chewables & viactiv chews twice a day.an i got a blender at jc pennys for $19.99 for a 17 piece set. aldi sell one foe $14.99 the magic bullet is to expensive for me.hope this help.

Blender- get the magic bullet. It is small fits in small bag. It is around 50.00 but the size makes up for it. I like it b/c it travels well from work to home and vacation. I use it now in the kitchen to mix and crush other stuff.

I have a regular blender at home but I bought "the chopper" at Walmart, it is only $4 and it is small like a mini food processor and it is perfect for chopping up 1/2-1 cup of food.

I walked alot before surgery and still walk, started one week after surgery. For me it was easier for me to get back to normal life.

I would also suggest making sure you have a lot variety in your post op diet because it gets real boring really fast. Make a list of Clear liquids and full liquids you can have and be stocked up for after surgery. You are probably not going to want to go out shopping the first week or two after surgery so it is nice to have it in the house.

Post-op: Gas-X and a heating pad for gas pains -- two best things you can do for yourself! If you cook at all, don't buy chicken broth in a box. Boil a chicken to death in a pot where you cover the chicken with Water, add seasonsings like salt and pepper, a bay leaf, an onion cut in quarters (don't even bother to peel it), carrots. Strain everything out of the resulting broth and you will have really tasty stock and let's face it, if you have to be on liquids at least make them yummy! I like the Slimfast Low Carb (20 grams of Protein and only 2 grams of carbs) because it has more protein and less carbs than any of their other varieties (including "high protein", which I haven't figured out yet). I didn't use a blender but once (but I already had one as part of my food processor). Another good broth/stock is if you have to cook for the rest of your family, cook a pot roast. Go ahead and put onions, carrots and potatoes in with the roast. When all is cooked, take the broth and blenderize a large can of tomatoes (here's where I used my blender) and mix the puree with the broth. That will give you a soup-y taste stock which will be so much more enjoyable than beef broth in a can or box!

Hi am pretty new here too. I bought a cute little hamilton beach blender and the blender cup is an actual cup with a drinking spout and all. The even better part is it chops up whole ice cubes and it only cost me $13 at Walmart. As for Protein Powder I buy Body Fortress strawberry, chocolate or Cookies and cream also from walmart $14 for a 2lb jar. I am still learning myself but those are a couple of items I can definately advise on. Best of Luck to you on this journey :smile2:

The Magic Bullet is great: small, compact, comes with the blending cups, and it's small size makes it easier to control portions. (it's also much easier to clean than a blender). However, I have a blender, too.

After your surgery and after you start having fills, you may find that the regular Vitamins are hard to swallow. I get the chewable Calcium Citrate and Multi Vitamins from Barriatric Advantage. They are like the bullet; expensive but well worth the price. Also, the flavors of the Barriatric Advantage items are easier for me to take. They have cinammon, chocolate, wild cherry, and mint. I got the cinammon Cal Citrate with D, and the mixed flavor multi Vitamins. They are located at www.bariatricadvantage.com.

Also, walk Water walk Water walk water walk. That's a great mantra to use!

Good luck with your surgery! It's definitely well worth it!

You should probably have some Colace or another type of stool softener.

Also, I'd be lost without my little measuring glasses.

The compression garment is an absolute must! Although it irritated my skin after a while...so now I wear it over an undershirt when I need to wear it.

My new toy is a cusinart immersion (stick blender), I love it, it's heavy duty and an easy clean, it makes great Protein Drinks, purees and will get me through the mushy stage and takes up little to no room on my counter or drawers (2 pieces)

I was looking at the magic bullet but I didn't want 17 pieces that is overkill for

me.

Good luck!!!

Amazon cost was 39.95 but I have othet brands at a cheaper price.

Hello. I'm new to the forum and looking for a few things. They may already be here somewhere and I'm just missing them. I'm looking for products that you all use to make having the band easier (like a blender, scale or even food items) and also advice now that you have the band that you would tell someone who is scared and not banded yet.

Thank you in advance. :wink:

Chef Jay's Protein Puffs

I'm 3 weeks postop and these are items I found helpful:

1. JCPenney's version of the Magic Bullet, much cheaper and worked like a charm. I also didn't have to rewash after every "meal" as it comes with several "glasses." If you get it on sale it can be anywhere from $20-39.

2. A strainer - $2 - while on liquids I could have Soup broth, but not the veggies, meat. I'm not a canned broth fan so would make a can of pot roast Soup for instance, strain the chunky stuff out for my hubby and enjoy the liquid only.

3. Miralax for Constipation.< /p>

4. Just bought a Taylor food scale from Target - it has a glass base. It has a tare feature so you weigh only the food, not the plate. I think it was $39-49 - I've bought cheapies before but this one will be the last one I need to buy for ages. It is really worth the extra money.

Hope this helps!

Edited by bambam

The compression garment is an absolute must! Although it irritated my skin after a while...so now I wear it over an undershirt when I need to wear it.

Hi Kage &/or anyone else,

What compression garment do you use? I have both the Spanx and Kymora ones, but neither feels quite 'right'. Kymora is too tight (feels like a chastity belt!) and the Spanx is a bit too loose, not much support. I'm thinking maybe a smaller size in the Spanx, but wondered if there were any others out there that everyones using and liking.

Thanks!