Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Fill and Doc thinks something may be wrong.

Six days ago I went for my 2nd fill. I got my first fill of 3cc on a Type C Realize Band. (Doctor said I was his first person with this type band) The first fill gave me no restriction at all but I kinda expected that would be the case after reading the forums.

When the doc seen I had not lost any weight he looked at my chart and said that with a band as big as mine (13cc I think) he needed to be doing bigger fills.

He asked me to lay back for the fill and he proceeded to poke around a little and then pushed down. I could tell he was having a hard time. He pulled out the empty needle and said that he bent the needle, and he said he thought that he missed entirely.

He then came back with another needle with 1 cc in it to try again. During the fill he told me to take a deep breath in and then exhale. When I exhaled I felt the fill go down. I told him that and he said that I wasn't supposed to feel that. I told him that on my first fill I did, but perhaps it was my imagaination. Do you feel the liquid go down your tube when you get a fill?

The doctor at this point seemed troubled and said that I needed to go for an X-ray that my port may have trouble because he couldn't pull any Fluid back.

My appointment is for tomorrow and he should have some information for me. Since my second fill I've had good restriction so something happened. I don't know if I have 3cc's, 6cc's or 7cc's, but I guess the bottom line is I have restriction.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks so much

I've read other posts where people said they could feel the saline going in. I didn't but hey, we're all different! And I've had more than one person tell me that the physicians' assistants have less trouble doing a fill than the surgeon. I've only had one fill and the PA did it (second one tomorrow), and she was so good I never felt anything at all. Since you have comfortable restriction but can eat and drink comfortably, I'm inclined to think maybe your doc missed??? At any rate, good luck tomorrow and let us know what you find out.

My doctor had trouble accessing my port on several occasions, the first few times he bent the needle. We determined that my port was slightly turned but not enough to have it re-done. Now that I have been re-banded hopefully the port is positioned better and I wont have to go through that.

Good luck on your appointment!

I have the realize band too and I have had two fills and I felt felt the saline go in both times and my doctor said It is possible you could feel it. My friend also has the lapband and she said she feels it when she gets a fill.

Thanks to all those who read and responded.

I went for my follow up yesterday. The doctor seems to think that the hose has a kink in it. He also thinks that we can add Fluid, but not take any out because of the kink.

The question I have about this is:

If the line is kinked, then why can you add and not subract, wouldn't a kink cause it to not work either way?

When I did my first fill with the NP she put a pillow under my back and had me lift my head. I heard a 'clicking' noise when she had the needle in the port. Do you hear a 'clicking' noise when you get a fill? On my second fill, done by the doctor, I didn't hear the clicking noise, and I wasn't arched back that same way.

Does anyone think I would benefit from doing my next fill with Floro?

Thanks for all your help!

Well a fill is adding positive pressure, just like turning on a Water hose that is kinked, the pressure will open it up enough to get Fluid through.

Now if you pull Fluid out, it is going to create suction which will not push the kink open, but might even make it worse.

EVENTUALLY, almost everyone needs an unfill. And what if you needed an emergency unfill? I think if this is a fresh band that they should be fixing it for free with another surgery. This situation would not be acceptable to me.

Good explaination. That is help.

I'm a cash pay person and I do have free care and support. The doctor did acknowledge that it would have to be fixed, he said that if I ever get too tight we would have to do emergency op. He said that if we address this when I have lost more weight the operation will be easier for him and less risk for me.

Mercifully no one is saying I should share any of the cost for this.

Ok, call me a bit of a skeptic, but I think I would want a copy of where the doctor say's now that it will eventually have to be fixed at their cost. Just in case down the road he leaves the company he is working for and you need to prove that it was a known problem from the time when it was covered.

Cover thy own ass, especially when the almighty dollar is concerned.

i always feel the saline going in. also make sure your fills r done under extra all the time otherwise u can get a leak. i know from personal experience.

I almost always feel the saline go in and out and I have had at least 20 fills. It's a bizarre feeling!

My 2nd fill they couldn't acces my port and it turned out that my port flipped. So, it could be that --and don't freak out because sometimes ports just shift a little, but he may be able to access it next time.

If you feel restriction, that is the important part --then you know its not a leak.

I just had my first fill yesterday (3 cc) and I felt the liquid go in... it was wierd but I personally felt it... The nurse had no problems getting into my port ( thank God)

Best of luck

Chris

I feel a gurgling type sensation when I have a fill. I feel my stoma tighten and then he backs off until I can swallow Water. It does feel wierd.