Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before a fill, do you fast?

I have heard that some people fast prior to a fill. Then go on liquid diets after for 24-48 hours. My doc says 24 hours post fill, soft diet. I just wonder if I would have better restriction if I go in without a full tummy. They have never given me any instruction on what to eat or not eat before a fill. Thanks for your advice.:thumbup:

I hadn't gotten instructions for foods prior to a fill either. My first fill I ate Breakfast and lunch as "normal" and then went in for my fill. It was uncomfortable and I didn't like the feeling. What I tried on my last fills was eating light in the am and light or just Water for several hours prior to my fill. That seemed to work out well. Then of course I went on the Liquid/Full Liquid/Soft and then regular foods.

I go for fill #2 tomorrow. My first fill, and tomorrow, are scheduled first thing in the morning. I didn't have breakfast until after the fill because I wasn't sure what to expect. I don't know that not having anything affected how much restriction I ended up with after #1. The fill was too much and I didn't even make it to work before I called and said I was coming back for a small unfill because I couldn't even swallow spit.....

I always ate normal in the morning since my fills have always been around 2pm. I stopped eating about 2 hours prior to fills. After my fill I would drink some Water and if all was good I would slowly eat a Protein Bar. I did this to make sure I am not too tight since where I get my fills is over an hour from where I live. I would then eat soft foods for the rest of the day moving to regular foods the next day. :thumbup:

We are not required to fast at all. However, I usually don't eat the morning of the fill so I know that my stomach is empty. I don't want food sitting in my pouch causing me to get less of a fill because the Water does not flow with food in the way. I prefer fills on an empty pouch.

I have heard that some people fast prior to a fill. Then go on liquid diets after for 24-48 hours. My doc says 24 hours post fill, soft diet. I just wonder if I would have better restriction if I go in without a full tummy. They have never given me any instruction on what to eat or not eat before a fill. Thanks for your advice.:thumbup:

We are supposed to be on liquids for 48 hours prior and 48 hours post fill. He really would like it to be Clear Liquids...BUT, I do full liquids and ran that by him and that was okay. I usually eat a little yogurt the morning of a fill and drink Water...but my fills usually arent until 4pm. I think an empty stomach would be the best. That's just me though!:)

My instructions were nothing solid after midnight the day prior to fill. I just had my fourth fill a few days ago @ 3:30 p.m. and had coffee and Water only through the day until that time.

Post fill clear warm liquids for 24 hours then full warm liquids for another 24 hours then on to mushies for another 24 hours then solid foods as tolerated.

This usually jump starts me in my weight loss so that is motivating me to stick with it. So nice to lose a few pounds quickly.

My fills have always been in the morning, and the doctor asked that I not eat anything after midnight and liquids fo 24 hurs after. Made it sound like stuff might come up if my stomach was full when they added restriction.

I go for fill #2 tomorrow. My first fill, and tomorrow, are scheduled first thing in the morning. I didn't have breakfast until after the fill because I wasn't sure what to expect. I don't know that not having anything affected how much restriction I ended up with after #1. The fill was too much and I didn't even make it to work before I called and said I was coming back for a small unfill because I couldn't even swallow spit.....

I had my first fill today and it felt tight and strange and then he made me drink Water before leaving...did yours do that?

Julie, it does feel weird at first. It goes away in a little while, though. As for the Water, I think we all have to do that. The reason is if you can't finish the glass of water, then your band in too tight. They do not want you to leave with your band too tight because it means you can't take in water or nutrition at all. And even after that, there are people who wake up the next morning and can't swallow anything. For me, I couldn't even swallow my own spit. Bad, bad, bad. They had to do a small unfill immediately.

Bloody Nora! I'm glad you have told me that - if I have trouble swallowing spit tomorrow I would have gone into panic mode and probably to the hospital!

Thanks