Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Banding - Where to go?

Hi all, Been looking to get banded in July this year. I am self funded as I don't want to have to wait a year or two on the NHS, I have saved £2000 so far, but it's killing me to do so. I dont think im going to be able to get the 7k they're asking for in most UK places, but i'd rather have it here for the aftercare. I also dont know if the NHS have to give you aftercare or not?I am looking at finance options and Belgium, can anyone offer advice?????

Thanks

P.:rolleyes2:

Hi There,

I am Tracey and I live in London. I am doing the research too with regards to Lap Bands maybe we can share information and support each other.

I also don't have the dosh right now as I having been living abroad but put a good case to my mum(well loads of sobbing I cant do this anymore) . I have a fairly young mum and she has never had a weight problem and looks better than me body wise and she's sixty something.

I am really confused i booked an appt with with the hospital group and read the bad press here and maybe wil cancel the appointment. Where do you live etc etc lets sort this mess out together!

hi money, have you actually tried to approach the NHS?, i had mine done with them & it took me 5 months from start to finish, i figured if its going to take you time to save up for the money, then what do you have to lose if you try NHS way?

it would save you alot of money & you get all the fills & after care free..

good luck in what you chose

I should have said, i went to my GP, at the moment, there is a postcode lottery on funding in scotland on the NHS, the only place that banding is being funded is in Aberdeen, and it could take months to sort it. This has been going on for over a year, it's stupid and it's affecting people's lives. I am going to ask that they do free aftercare if I pay for the surgery myself and for access to a Bariatric Dietician to help ease the costs there.

I'll see how I get on.....

By the way you look amazing, How you finding the band?:huh2:

If your thinking of Belgium or on a tight budget look at the thread "has anyone heard of Dr Chris De Bruyne", after care is in UK or belgium or you could look at an aftercare package only such as the wlsgroup, there are lots of options.

I had mine done on nhs in may last year. I only waited 6 months from being refered to being banneded.

when I need a fill I just ring the hospitial where had band and they fit me in. and are realy helpful

good luck Ann x

I think the NHS really need to take a long hard look at their policies, there are not many who have this op done on the NHS but there are plenty of people being treated for obesity related illnesses they could probably save so much money every year. I went to my GP who is actually a member of a group lobbying for more banding to be done, however, he does not think I am a good candidate as I have lost weight with the help of slimming pills in the past, he asked the dumb question of how did I manage to put the weight back on and that I should do it again and when I get to a realistic weight join a gym if only it was that simple! I have decided that I am going to have an easyband fitted with Healthierweight in Manchester, the only disappointment is that I think it will take me a while to save the fee. Good luck in whatever you decide to do x

I did belgium, approx 12 months ago. It cost me 3k plus acoomodation so in total 3.5k, the after care has been great.

Look into it, its half the price of the UK and the same if not better care.

Did you have your's done by Chris De Burne, alot of people on here seem to have used him in Belgium. I had hoped to have an easyband fitted as there is no port & I'm scared of needles also worried about the aftercare but it's a huge saving its going to cost me nearly £7k to have the easyband.

Did you have your's done by Chris De Burne, alot of people on here seem to have used him in Belgium. I had hoped to have an easyband fitted as there is no port & I'm scared of needles also worried about the aftercare but it's a huge saving its going to cost me nearly £7k to have the easyband.

Mine was with Chris aswell, dont worry about needles really the fills are painless just close your eyes :smile:

His website is here:

Welcome to Obesity Assists's site