Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional eating help

I am probably going to have the surgery mid-April and I'm still struggling with the thought of losing my relationship with food. I have dealt with all the issues with my emotional eating in therapy over the past few years. I know my triggers. I know why I do it. I don't want to live this way anymore, but somehow I still feel afraid of losing it. I guess it's been such a big part of my life for so long that the thought of it being gone is scary. I know it's killing me and I know the dependence on food has been a bad thing, but it's still hard to face the fact that it will no longer be an option. Plus I am so afraid of failing! Has anyone else felt this way?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would be very appreciative if you would share them with me.

Hey there... Yes i know exactly what you are talking about. I love food, I love going out to eat and I also eat under emotional stress. Im a single Mom with a 6 year old, I work with a bunch of men that talk to you like your a man, with a very stressfull job. I go to school practically full-time also.

I was banded on 3/11 and have been doing well. Yes, I miss my Quesadias from Chili's,lol but i just keep looking to the future and tell my self how much better I am going to feel and look. I love positive attention and when I lose weight, I use that praise as a form of motivation.

It was the best decision I made, regardless of the pain and the shakes,lol, its worth it!!

Good luck with your journey and make sure you surround yourself with POSITIVE people that will support you.

Hi there,

I've been going through the same issues. I'm in the waiting for insurance stage right now, and I admit that as each day gets closer my anxiety tends to rise a bit. I've talked to the doctor, to the psychologist, to friends.

I've been trying to think of others things to occupy my time when I'm in my bored stages or emotional stages or stressed stages. I'm trying to look into classes to take, a hobby to take up, a kickboxing class to take up. I know that the best thing for me is knowing that I have a place like this to come to and find others that feel the same way I do.

Let's be friends, you can turn to me when you feel you can't go another day.

Good LUCK!!!!

I am a recovering emotional eater. I think the fear is harder to deal with before surgery. What should do now, before surgery, is start working on new things to replace the emotional eating. Starting to work on new habits now, will help you so much later. Even if it means going back to the therapist to work on new ways to deal with the emotions. Every day is a work in progress, a new start. Good luck to you!

I was banded January 19 and was very worried about emotional eating. So far I've been doing OK. I've found other ways to treat myself - I had my very first pedicure Thursday and shopping for clothes both in person and on line is a new passion. And I'm not going to say I haven't cheated. I had a Chai High smoothie from Intajuice this afternoon. But I do live in fear. I know the eating thing is out there, lurking, waiting to strike when my life really goes ka-blooey ... I just hope my alternative coping mechanisms are strong by then.

Thank you so much for your comments and support. It really helps to know I'm not doing this alone.

Michelle, I'm so glad to hear you're happy with your decision. I can only imagine how difficult this must be with such a tough schedule. It's encouraging to know you can do it and succeed.

Laya, you're right I need to figure out a hobby now. Try something different. Let's keep in touch to get through this.

Slim-n-thin, thank you for your thoughts. I think therapy is a good route to go to get through this hectic time.

Footballmom, I know that it's there lurking too and it scares the heck out of me. But I figure I know that the new lifestyle will be hard but living an obese life is hard too. I just gotta prepare for the tough times the way you are. And I gotta figure out a different way to reward myself too!

I appreciate the feedback from everyone and I wish you well on your journeys.

I am on my four day of pre-op diet and i am struggling. I am getting anxious about losing my idol, my confidant, my best friend-food! I am afraid that if I can't stick to the pre-op diet, how will i stick to eating right after banded? I am a self pay and you would think that would be motivation enough. I think i am self sabotaging. I am going to work with my counselor and my 12 step group but most imortantly, i am going to try to remember to pray my way through each time i am feeling driven to eat. THanks for letting me share. My surgery date is 4/3 and the diet is for my liver. I was not given an amount that needed to be lost before the surgery. I am so excited but so afraid of the change.

I couldn't have said it better. It is scary to lose that comfort. I've relied on it for so long. I am a self-pay too and I'm scared it won't be enough. The reason to abstain and to not use food is to take care of myself. I am gonna have to let myself be uncomfortable and feel all the feelings I've been stuffing down with food. That is pretty terrifying just to think of that way.

I feel just the way you do - so excited and yet so scared. I know we can do this - we have to for our health.

I have the same concerns. I just stay focused on what I will be gaining, not what I am giving up. Because...despite all the comfort I took in food, that is what got me into this predicament in the first place.

Shaun

what a great life long question you pose.

something odd happened to me when i got my surgery date. i stopped eating. just like that. that day. at 2pm. it was as a switch went off in my head.

psychologically, i suffer from the "i'm either ON a diet or i'm OFF a diet" syndrome. very bad mentality for those occasional slip ups. have enough of them and you're OFF more than you are on.

currently, i am on day 12 pre op with surgery april 1st and i haven't had a single bite of food. the will power is astonishing. not sustainable which is why i'm having this done, but astonishing nonetheless.

the gradual process of eating again will be taken seriously and with extreme caution. this might be the one chance i get to reintroduce myself to food in a whole new way.

i think this is a process for a reason. i'm akming it mine!

here's to doing it right. finally.

I couldn't have said it better. It is scary to lose that comfort. I've relied on it for so long. I am a self-pay too and I'm scared it won't be enough. The reason to abstain and to not use food is to take care of myself. I am gonna have to let myself be uncomfortable and feel all the feelings I've been stuffing down with food. That is pretty terrifying just to think of that way.

I feel just the way you do - so excited and yet so scared. I know we can do this - we have to for our health.

Oh this is so me also. I am not booked yet but going to get Sleeve soon I hope. I am self pay also so doing homework.

I sure hope for some help to not care to eat like now home all weekend and that's all I do. Eat when sad, happy , whatever

I am probably going to have the surgery mid-April and I'm still struggling with the thought of losing my relationship with food. I have dealt with all the issues with my emotional eating in therapy over the past few years. I know my triggers. I know why I do it. I don't want to live this way anymore, but somehow I still feel afraid of losing it. I guess it's been such a big part of my life for so long that the thought of it being gone is scary. I know it's killing me and I know the dependence on food has been a bad thing, but it's still hard to face the fact that it will no longer be an option. Plus I am so afraid of failing! Has anyone else felt this way?

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would be very appreciative if you would share them with me.

Yes..i have been there... I was told that once i get to the proper restriction i would not be able to eat that many carbs.. which i love mac & cheese, breads etc... for the first 6mths i was like ahhhhh i can still eat it.. but now hell no!! the most i can tolerate is like 1-spoon of mac and cheese and no breads at all... you will get there where you will feel like you have lost your best friend but this friend i don't mind being without....

Thank you for all your comments. It is very helpful to know I'm not alone in this and to see ones who have this same issue who are making this a success.

I'm still scared and probably always will be but I'm ready to work hard to get thru it.

Take care!