Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I ruined my Lapband progress............

and I don't know what to do. My husband just left for Afghanistan and I had some problems with depression prior to him leaving that I was in a place where the food was not fit for my diet and since being home I have been slacking and I am convinced that my lapband surgery was a failure or more like I failed it and I don't know where to begin now. I will have my 3rd fill next week and I still haven't noticed a differnce in how much I eat. I get full but I am hungry again soon after and when I tell them this they don't seem really bothered by it and just tell me to weight out my food still which I do, I just want to eat more. I feel like it is to late to start again because my stomach is probably a lot larger than it was after the surgery and I feel horrible because I really screwed this up. Does anyone have some advice on how to start again or what I should do. Please no rude comments I feel bad as it is, I just need someone who has been in the same situation or just wants to help someone succeed. Thanks and I hope to hear from some of you soon. Take care.

Im sure you havent ruined your band. I know depression is hard especially in your situation with your hubsand gone and it seems easy to turn to eating. Just remember everything you went thru to get the band.

You can start over. I have read of something called the 5 day pouch test to help kick start if you have fallin off the plan. The website is:

Surgical Weight Loss 5 Day Pouch Test

Also, you may want to think of talking to someone to help get thru this period or find a hobby, I really like swimming.

You will do great and get back on the wagon. You did this for a reason, and you WILL reach your goal, I BELIEVE IT!

Hang in there. It is tough when you are depressed and your natural inclination is to turn to food. You also need to remember that you are not yet completely restricted, so you probably haven't increased the size of your stomach, especially if you are measuring out your food. But I would definitely bring up this concern with your dr when you go in for your next fill.

You probably had a psych eval before your surgery?? Maybe you need to schedule an appointment to talk about what you are going through and see if they can help you get yourself back on track. You just had surgery, are changing your lifestyle and your husband left for Afghanistan - that is a lot for anybody to handle.

You also have support here at LBT. You need to look at this moment as a time to get back on track. Try to make good food choices, watch your portion sizes and get some exercise! You had this surgery for a reason, think back to what pushed you to make this decision, write it down and post it somewhere where you will see it! You need to do this for yourself, don't give up, learn from the mistakes and challenges you have had and make it a new day!

Here is the tough love - go through and throw away the foods that you know you shouldn't be eating. Get them out of the house so they aren't a temptation. Replace them with some healthy choices. Get up off your fanny and start exercising. You will feel better! No excuses.

Get some therapy for your (understandable) depression. I don't eat when sad but realized I was a reward eater. Now I'm a "recovering" reward eater...I have to fight it. Apparently when down you eat, and in life, you'll have ups and downs throughout the years. You need to learn a different way to handle depression, like I needed to find better ways to reward myself. So my suggestion for therapy.

As to the other, you've already gotten good advice. Until you have good restriction the odds of you expanding your pouch overmuch are slim. Feeling bad about that is probably part of your depression, so get you some help, and get back at it. The band is a tool; you can still use it!

You didn't ruin anything. The band was made for people just like you (and me).

I was banded then:

my mother died

my oldest daughter moved out to college then left quickly to care for my dying mother

my middle daughter moved out to college at the age of 15 then 2 weeks after my mom died went to USMC boot camp

then my oldest daughter went to basic for Army

I left my cushy life in Las Vegas to be at my mom's side to care for her because it got too much for my daughter. I lost my home/and lifestyle to make the move.

Now I'm in a trailer w/ an inherited cat. Nursing school is GONE now because I had to ditch the dream to take care of my mother.

I lost my mom and my oldest two daughters, I have one age 14 at home now...single mom.

I stuffed myself w/ junk chips/icecream/pizza and literally ate and puked, ate and puked some more. I ate at a trash can and kept cups in the car so I could puke while driving

Stress? Eat if you want to eat. The band has got your back.

When you are ready to lose weight, you will. But your progress wasn't ruined. The entire weightloss and maintenance IS in itself a process....you will go down down and maybe up....but you are in control. Take time off from dieting if you need to. Stay close to your doctor during this time. You may need an unfill and take time off. Or your doctor may think you need to reach restriction so that you can stop dieting so much and let the band assist more.

Just don't give up!

Edited by lapbandtalker

hey, Army wife here

my husband is in Iraq he left november we have a 3 and half year old boy and im stationed overseas here in Germany right now. You can do this, i know its tough when they leave but you can DO THIS. This is my second deployment. You cam PM me if you need to talk, i am always willing to lend an ear.

Thank you guys so much for the great advice. I am getting my 3rd fill today and will have a talk with them. I am ready to get back on track and get this dang weight off.

Once you reach good restriction it all gets very different. I have trouble with stress eating too. My most recent fill last week (my sixth) finally put me to that point they talk about when I can only eat 4-6 oz of food at a sitting and that it keeps me satisfied for four or more hours if I don't drink for an hour afterward. I had started to doubt that would ever really happen for me, bouncing up and down the same five pounds.

Keep going on your follow ups and pursuing support through group meetings, here if it helps and make sure to get in some exercise. Even a 20 minute walk per day will elevate your ability to deal with the stress and sorrow of your spouse being gone. You can do this. Follow ups and support are vital for you right now.