Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 2 days! Day surgery???

Ok, I am going in in two days, and am having this as day surgery. Anyone else do it this way? What can I expect? I am not worried about my "life" after banding, but I am scared to death of the next 2 to 4 weeks! Wish me luck!:lol:

I had my surgery done on an outpatient basis (day surgery). I was not even the first one on the table that morning, and I was at my house by 2:00 PM. I had my surgery done on a Friday and was back at work by Tuesday......there's some discomfort, but I wouldn't really say it was "painful". Others may disagree, though.

I had pain! Maybe it is because I also had hiatal hernia repair along with Lap Band. I also had breathing issues and esophagal pain related to the hiatal hernia repair which added to my misery. Mine was day surgery/outpatient surgery as well. I had my surgery on a Friday and went back to work 1/2 days the following Thursday and Friday and full time the following Monday. The first three days were pretty painful but the pain meds certainly helped. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and my surgeon told stories of patients having surgery on Friday and back to normal life by Monday and I read similar stories here so I guess I went into this thinking it was going to be a breeze for me too. I don't want to discourage you though, it all has been so very worth it.

Move around as much as possible as soon as possible. Have some loose clothing that won't irritate your incisions. Prepare a place where you can sleep propped up if necessary (I could not comfortably lie flat for more than a week). Plan on being out of work for at least a week, if you are fortunate enough to feel better sooner, then fine...but be prepared.

Good Luck!!!

I had day-surgery too. I went in at 9 am and was home by 3 or so I think? I actually felt better up and moving around rather than sitting. I have a pretty high pain tolerance I think but even still I think this was pretty easy. I had my gall bladder out a couple of years ago and I remember being more tired and sore after that.

I went back to work the next Monday so like 5 days after surgery. I still was a little sore to bend and you can't lift anything but that was fine.

I would recommend getting up and walking around asap! It helps tons with the shoulder gas pains.

Good luck!

~A

Edited by Ale78
spelling and typing errors! ARG!

That first day home I was really sore when I tried to sit up out of bed. I finally figured out the best way to do it and by the 2nd day I was fine. I'm a stubborn gal, so that might have made me tough it a bit more.

My friend had her lap band surgery as an outpatient basis (day surgery). She has little pain in the first two days but with pain medicines her discomfort was over and she became fine after a week. Dr. Nilesh Patel who was her surgeon helped her to lead a healthier fuller life. Laparoscopic Lap Band procedure has the advantage of fewer incisions and quicker recovery times, as well as decreased chances of complications during and after surgery. She is healthy and fine now and is busy with her daily activities.

Have realistic expectations and don’t worry within a week you will be fine and will be back to your normal life. One thing you will have to abide by the new diet plan and eat accordingly and it is advice not to stretch the small stomach pouch. All the best for the new life.

I would like a ticker thing, how do I get one?

Ok, start by clicking on my ticker. This will take you to tickerfactory. Once there, click "create your own ticker" and fill in all the info you want to keep track of. Once you get to the end, you should see 2 white boxes. "Copy" the code in the "bb code" box. Now exit that site and go back to lapbandtalk. On the homepage, in the upper left corner, under the pictures of the people, there is a tab that says "user cp". Click it. On the left side of the page, look until you see the "edit signature" feature. Click it. In the big white box, "paste" the bb code you copied earlier. Now go down a bit and click the little orange rectangle that says "save signature". Voila'! You should now have a ticker!!