Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For struggling new bandsters

I keep reading about the same thing here over and over again so I wanted to put my two cents worth in for all of you new bandsters

that it is perfectly normal to not lose weight during the first 6 weeks. You have NO fill...the band is desigend to work it's best with fills! It is also normal to not lose during the liquid phase since you are not taking in hardly any calories. You know that old addage that our bodies will conserve whatever we put into it if it thinks we are starving it and that is what is most likely happening during the liquid phase. It is also normal to see a gain when you go from liquids or mushies to solids so do not panic...Do not fret or get discouraged. Most of us here were where you are at one time or another. Once you are healed and getting your fills things will change I promise. One thing I have learend during my 17 months with my band is there are going to be times when I do not lose on the scale but I'm losing inches. I'm also gaining my life back so when the scale doesnt move, think of all of the possitive things in your life that have changed since you got your band. For some of us it has been getting off blood pressure meds, for others it is getting off insulin, for others it has been more energy,for others it is no more sleep apnea and for others it is No back or joint pain. My list is endless of all of the possitvie things that have happened since my band You get my drift, I'm sure. Do not let the scale dictate your success or failure with the band. The band is a lifelong tool, this is a lifelong journey it is going to take some time but the key is patience. The key is to also follow the rules to a degree. Do not go and get a fill that is so tight you can not take in solids and think it is smart cause you will lose wieght that way.You have all made the first step to a happier healthier life. I can not stress enough the importance of patience. The band is not a miracle or magic wand, the pounds are not going to fall off. If you have the right mindset, one day at a time, the good with the bad, you will succeed. Patience Patience Patience!!!

P.S. Did any of your Dr.'s tell you that the first 6 weeks is not about weight loss but about healing? Any weight loss during the pre fill stage is a bonus? THey should have if the ydidnt ..this was my Dr.'s biggest stressing point to me before he sent me home after surgery. How many of you got the Inamed Handbook after your surgery? This is very helpful to all of us not just the newbies but to us who have been banded for awhile. Here is the link you can go to and print it from your computer

http://www.inamed.com/pdf/health/94829F_LB_Patient_Book.pdf

I hope my two cents worth helped you in some way :rolleyes:

Best of luck to all of you

Oops, one more piece of advice I can offer to all of you

DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF EVERYDAY!

It becomes an obsession. A sure way to sabotoge yourself and dictate your moods. I weigh once a week. There is a weekly scale challenge here on LBT where alot of us weigh only once a week. Join it..it does help :rolleyes:

Thank you so very much for the input, information and education for some of us....

I am sure more of us know what you have informative us of, but we are new at this and sometimes just posting and having you old pros put our minds at ease helps us. I would not consider myself, or any other new bandster "struggling"....just curious with confirmation desired in our new lifestyle.

We come here looking for help....thanks for all your help!

I would not consider myself, or any other new bandster "struggling".

I changed the heading of my thread, sorry if I offended you Margo, it was not my intention. I did not mean it in the way it came across

:rolleyes:Thank you LaMadam,

You have been reading my mind. Since having been banded (7/27) i have been so upbeat. celebrating this decision. i never felt better. then within the last week i began to have a certain feeling creep on me. it was very suttle at first. then i had to episode of food sticking, yea i slipped and didnt chew and rushed my food. i got so scared. i kept wondering what have i done. how would i know if i made my band slip? are signs? called my doctor and asked about eating but forgot to ask about this. is was explained to me, like you said, this a healing stage ( i must admit - difficult) i have no restrictions but to be cautious. i am anxious because i long for my first fill. i have had thoughts of pushing myself. but now what you have written i do begin to feel better. i realized how hard i was being on myself i even found that i fell into eating because of emotion. oh it was still within the limits of good food but it was for the wrong reasons. i havent done that in years. but i did recognize it and will be more aware next time.

LaMadam i cant thank you enough. By giving me, anyway, this insight it helps to reinforce what i need to stay focused on. Day by day, with the focus on a healthy future. I dont want it to be any other way. However getting thru some of those moments can be a struggle. Your words are a lifeline.

Micki

Thank you for your words. Other newbie's might not be struggling but I sure am.

I felt like I was very informed going in to surgery. I had read and researched and studied for a year before having surgery. But living with the band now is completley different then what I "thought" living with the band would be like.

Just yesterday I ate a piece of chicken and a few minutes later up it came. I had taken little bites, I had chewed it well and I had eaten it slow. I did everything that I had read about and studied but the reality is that my band had a mind of its own and no amount of me studying could prepare me for that :rolleyes:.

For me every day is a struggle as I learn how to live with my band. What I can and can't eat. why my port randomly hurts for no reason. why the scale hasn't moved in over a month.... those kind of things. But I'm happy that I did it and I hope one day that's it's not a struggle and that me and my band can have a long happy life and grow old together. :)

So again thank you for your words and I'll try not to freak out that the scale hasn't moved in a MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I go for my second fill on Wednesday!) :D

Thank you so much. I hope you don't mind, but I cut & pasted your entire post and sent to my daughter & daughter-in-law. I also printed a copy for me. My band date was 6/7, daughter's 6/23 and DIL was 8/4. This really hit home for me. I really enjoy this site and the freedom to speak about ANY topic.

Thanks again,

Dixie - Dallas

I keep reading about the same thing here over and over again so I wanted to put my two cents worth in for all of you new bandsters

that it is perfectly normal to not lose weight during the first 6 weeks. You have NO fill...the band is desigend to work it's best with fills! It is also normal to not lose during the liquid phase since you are not taking in hardly any

P.S. I'm down 28 lbs today! I'm one of those who weigh every day - it's a hard habit to break!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, I was told the same thing by my dietician that it doesn't matter about the calories for the first few weeks as we are healing and all. I haven't been banded yet but I too am a compulsive scale freak, something I will have to get over :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the good advice. I thought I understood it all before my surgery, but I still find myself doubting what I am doing some days. I think it is just a BIG lifestyle change and takes patience like you said.

I did get the Inamed patient book from my Dr., I think I have wore it out I have read it so many times. And, I am 11 days post-op and haven't weighed myself once....only because I don't have a scale and have resisted going to buy one.

Thanks again, I know for me I need constant reassurance that I am doing this right. I think like many others here I just want to know I am doing it right, this is such a big thing to me. Plus, I was banded in Mexico and so there are no follow-up visits for me, so no Dr. to reassure me I am doing ok.

Thanks for the great advice. I had my first post op appointment on August 17th. The doc & nurses all said I was doing fabulous. Now I have reached a plateau. Nothing lost, nothing gained. I know I am eating right, exercising, and drinking enough fluids....just dont have a fill. I wont get a fill until September 14th. Your advice helped reassure me, that I am doing the right thing. Thanks.

ok ok I'll stop complaining. I am just in such a hurry. I am also obsessed with the scale. I need to focus focus focus on the more important stuff such as feeling better, happier. iking myself better, enjoying compliments from DH, etc.

Thanks for the kind reprimand and words of wisdom.

I'm a newbie, and haven't had a fill yet, but will on Thursday. I love being reminded of the rules and feel fortunate to have the kind of people on the board who are willing to say the hard things, in a firm and caring way, so we don't lose our way and our focus. Thank you. Cindy

I changed the heading of my thread, sorry if I offended you Margo, it was not my intention. I did not mean it in the way it came across

Oh, please, La madam, no offensive taken......but, thanks for changing the heading! AND THANKS FOR ALL YOUR WONDERFUL WISDOM.....