Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux Question

So, I usually take my meds about 30min b4 going to bed...a couple of times this last week I have had some reflux symptoms....no big deal I thought thats the only time it happens I'm gonna try to start taking my meds as soon as I get home in the afternoon ( I forget) but a couple of times this last week I have woken up about 3 or 4 am with pressure in my stomach and it feels like my throat is being pulled down into my stomach. Has anyone else had this prob? I thought it might be reflux associated so I called my doc to see if he would call me in a few nexium to see if maybe my stomach was just irritated bc I havent had a fill since jan I have 7.5 in a 14cc band (I was banded January 2008) He was like you need to come in tomorrow morning for an unfill....I was like no way..anyhow I convinced the nurse to let me try some otc prilosec and if it happens again I will come in for an unfill...my doc said Im probably too tight but why now over 2 months after my last fill???...my thought is this last fill really kicked in I can eat ok and Im losing wt and I wasnt having probs until this last week...why do we have to go straight to an unfill? Im not throwing up why cant we try more conservative measures FIRST and then if it doesnt work have a SMALL unfill I was really upset..I really really dont want to have an unfill but will if I have to...any suggestions.Or is anyone else having probs with reflux?

I went in for a fill on Wednesday and had horrible reflux, no sleep for two nights, coughing up acid, burning etc. called my doc and he had me come in for a slight unfill because he said it was probably too tight. Told me to take some otc pepcid and see how that worked. I too take my meds before bedtime and have started taking them at least an hour before bed. I'm sleeping with a wedge to elevate my upper body and it is helping but I find if I have anything at all in the evening, such as liquids it will come back up. This has freaked me out especially since I've had no reflux for the past year since the surgery and I was prone to it before. Keep up with the acid reducer and try propping your upper body up a little till your band relaxes a little. Hope this helps.

Yeah see I can see a slight unfill if I just had a fill like you did but my fill was like january 5th so I just wasnt willing to do an unfill just yet.....good luck to ya!

Hi I totally hear you about not wanting to get an unfill. I have been struggling to keep away my acid reflux (which I never had before being banded). I notice that if I am tight enough to have good restriction, then the acid reflux comes along with it. Today, I decided to take my meds in the afternoon and not eat anything after 6pm (having my last drink now). I'm also on Prilosec.

Thanks everybody...I took Prilosec as soon as I got home today and then I took all my meds 2 hours later which was about 6ish soooooo....tonight is the test hope it goes well!!!

I went in for a fill on Wednesday and had horrible reflux, no sleep for two nights, coughing up acid, burning etc. called my doc and he had me come in for a slight unfill because he said it was probably too tight. Told me to take some otc pepcid and see how that worked. I too take my meds before bedtime and have started taking them at least an hour before bed. I'm sleeping with a wedge to elevate my upper body and it is helping but I find if I have anything at all in the evening, such as liquids it will come back up. This has freaked me out especially since I've had no reflux for the past year since the surgery and I was prone to it before. Keep up with the acid reducer and try propping your upper body up a little till your band relaxes a little. Hope this helps.

Thanks Lizzyann--since I have the same problem and the same doctor I know I can take otc pepsid--thanks for saving me the appointment!! (He's a good guy isn't he?)

no probs last night!!!!

I started having reflux several months ago. Finally, it was so bad, I could hardly eat anything or drink anything. I did the prilosec, zantax, tums, you name it. Stopped eating later at night, etc. Finally was so miserable I made an appointment with my regular doc. Then I decided, because I was suffereing, that I should call the band doc. He got me right in and took ALL of my fill out. 8cc's in a 10cc band. I felt terrific. He said that the reflux had probably caused swelling and inflamation. I didn't think it was my band because I hadn't had a fill in over a year!!!!

He is somewhat concerned there might be a slip but if no problems over this next week, I can probably start filling up again. So, I share this with you because it could be serious and you should do what the band doc suggests. Oh, and the first few times I used the prilosec, I was perfect,..then it just got worse and worse and nothing nelped.

Take care of yourself!!

Thanks Sula, I promised my doc that if it happened again even just one time that I would come in for a slight unfil but since I stopped taking my meds b4 bed Im not have ANY problems at all...Thanks for your advice though I will def keep an eye on it!!

I just started having reflux the past two months. I am not too tight (I was at 7.4 cc's too tight, now at 7.0 cc's with good restriction) I bought Prilosec OTC and the box says to only take for 14 days and then stop. At about day 16 the reflux returned. Can I keep taking the Prilosec? I know quite a few people (not banded) who take it regularly.

Jane I would talk with your doc. But I too know a lot of ppl that take Prilosec regularly.....but again talk to your doc make sure nothings going on with your band!!