Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

list of food you can't eat post-op??

I am just curious, does anyone have a list of foods they try to avoid after the band (to avoid discomfort)? let me know thanks =]

bread... thats about it.. i eat ALL meats, dont have a problem, but not going to know if i will when i get my first fill ? , so for now im enjoying all my foods

I had my lapband done February 24th. I pushed the envelope and ate a cheese stick on the fly. I took tiny half inch bites and maserated it to mush before swallowing. Well, it did no good. That cheese stick sat in my tummy like a gum wad for nearly two hours of misery. I wll not be doing any more cheese sticks anytime soon.

It really depends on the person. I can do breads, but in the afternoon. pineapple is the only thing that has come back up, and it was in the am. I still have to eat mushies in the am. I like that though. But by night- I COULD eat anything. I don't though. I avoid stuff that is bad for me.

chicken gives me a problem if it is overcooked. bread gives me a problem, yet I eat about 3/4 of a chicken biscuit most mornings for Breakfast. Whole wheat Pasta is no problem for me. I can have rice that isn't sticky. I ate jambalaya last night!! Yummy!!

Oh, and stringy beef isn't too great. It is a hit or miss whether or not I can eat it. The moment I feel it give me problems, I stop eating it.

Edited by crzytchr

Bread(unless toasted, sometimes), Pasta, haven't tried rice yet(never was a big rice eater pre-band). I don't eat most foods anyway because I'm a very picky eater.

Here's my list of foods I HAVE to avoid because it hurts to eat them: NOTHING

That's right. And I'm restricted. I choose to avoid certain things because they don't fill me up as well...or because they just have too much fat or calories, but I CAN eat anything. My surgeon told me this was his goal, filling me very slowly, and once again the man was right!

I have had one fill and don't have much restriction. I've tried quite a lot of foods and nothings disagreed with me yet.

I'm glad I can eat cheese sticks--I usually have a piece of string cheese for my midmorning snack.< /p>

I haven't tried hamburger or ground beef at all yet, we'll see how that goes.

I was banded on 2/20. I have not had any food problems yet, but I have not tried a lot of foods either. I am doing my puree/soft foods. Last night I had a small piece of hamburger steak and just chewed it until i couldnt chew anymore and wall was good.

I can eat everything except for dry meat. I often use a "sauce" with my meat. I use things like gravy, salad dressing or tsatzigi (sp?), which is a greek yogurt with cucumber and garlic.

Everything else in moderation. I have to use caution with bread and Pasta more than other foods-I have to remind myself small bites and eat slowly!

Thanks everyone for the info! I have heard that you must stay away from shrimp after being banded, is this true? If it is then does that mean that I also have to stay away from crawfish? I am from Louisiana...this would be a big sacrifice for me! so if anyone has ever tried eating shrimp or crawfish and have had problems please let me know. my favorite is crawfish so if I could give up shrimp and stick with crawfish I wouldn't have any complaints, but obviously I am willing to give up both if need be.

StephOnee I don't know where you're getting your info but I think you should disregard it! :confused: NOTHING is totally off limits...except some surgeons say no carbonation, some say no caffeine (appetite stimulant)

Depending on how restricted you are you personally may have issues with some foods, so maybe you got that from someone who couldn't eat shrimp.

However...while most people have some food that they have an issue with (white bread is a big offender unless it's toasted, for example) there isn't anything you must stay away from, except what your surgeon tells you to avoid(ie mine said no chewing gum, no carbonation)

Once banded you will STILL be able to eat!

Depending on how restricted you are, your esophagus, your swallow strength etc....some things may or may not give you trouble. And realize that if something gives you trouble one time, wait a month or two and try it again. Often the "issue" resolves.

Please realize too that some people may avoid certain foods because, for whatever reason, it's easier for them that way.

Thanks everyone for the info! I have heard that you must stay away from shrimp after being banded, is this true? If it is then does that mean that I also have to stay away from crawfish? I am from Louisiana...this would be a big sacrifice for me! so if anyone has ever tried eating shrimp or crawfish and have had problems please let me know. my favorite is crawfish so if I could give up shrimp and stick with crawfish I wouldn't have any complaints, but obviously I am willing to give up both if need be.

I am also from Louisiana and I have eaten both shrimp and crawfish, although I won't have crawfish very much due to the cost!:confused: I do make sure that I chew it well though. Neither one gave me any problems. I had seafood gumbo last week and crawfish stew the week before.

I am very happy to hear your response monkeyy! It is refreshing to hear that nothing is completely off limits, I guess I will just have to try my beloved shrimp and crawfish out after I get banded, and i'll let y'all know lol! crzytchr that's awesome that you are also from La, what part are you from and what was the name of your Dr.?

StephOnee I was like you but the NP at my doc's office finally got it through my head that while some people have issues...not all have all issues. She said my doc's pts. have most problems with white bread (untoasted) and stringy red meat (well who wants stringy meat anyway) BUt so far luckily I can eat anything! So keep the faith! And remember if you DO find something you can't eat, give it a few months and try again. We have to live with this....