Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

White Cell Count.....?

Soooo...long story short: My white cell count came up high, and has gone up. I have NO OTHER SYMPTOMS (fever, pain, puke, etc...) They checked my band via CT SCAN, and found no inflamation and no infection there. All organs are doing what they are supposed to be doing. Anyone else have this issue?

When were you banded? Do you know how high your white count is?

I was banded in Oct. 07, and my cell count is at 16 *I believe* I have heard that a fill will help this, and I get that done tomorrow. Any advice?

Did you have a foley catheter during your hospital stay? you could have a UTI which would not show up on a CT scan of your band. Did your surgeon order a urinalysis? I never heard that a fill could lower your white blood cell count.

no catheter that I know of....I just hope they do my fill tomorrow with the count high. I'm gonna have to cry my way thru it LOL I NEEEED this fill, it's my first one EVER in over a year.

Do you know how long your white count has been up? Does your doctor seem concerned? The first things that pop into my mind with an elevated white count are: infection, illness, or trauma. Your body makes more with cells to fight off/ heal your body. If you had the flu your white count would go up, or if you just had surgery (clearly not the case). There are other things too, but this is what pops into my head. Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by Smartiegirl
forgot a word!

The doc doesn't seem all that concerned. I haven't been sick recently, and I don't have any signs of infection. I have HEARD that high stress levels and smoking can cause the count to go up, and I have both! I smoke 2 cigs/day, and have been WAY stressed lately. I am gonna tell the doc that I'll quit smoking, and then he can retest me. At any rate, I'm gonna try not to STRESS about it, because then my count will go up :rolleyes:) Thank you for all of your help! I will keep you informed! I just hope the doc will still fill my band tomorrow :lol:(

Did you ever find out any more info about this issue? I am having the same issue. I was banded 3 years ago and for some unknown reason (not sure if its band related or not), my WBC count is high. It was 14,400 on August 13th, 12,000 on August 18th and 13,700 on September 10th. Like you, I have no obvious signs of infection. My dr is wanting me to see a hematologist. I'm kinda freaking out but also wondering if this is even high enough to warrant going to a hematologist. Just wondering what you experience turned out to be???

Hey! Nothing has come up with my white cell count. I see a hematologist/oncologist regularly, and he's stumped. He seems to think that my body doesn't really *enjoy* having the "foreign object" in it :crying:) He's basically just keeping an eye on it. I hope yours also turns out to be nothing! GOOD LUCK! :unsure:

Oh...alllll kinds...ranging from cholesterol to the ovary to BRCA...everything came back great except for the BRCA--I did test positive for that.