Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Boddy Bugg Users

Mornin' All!

Just checking in...I LOVE my BodyBugg! I have never been able to tell when I was really burning calories and how many, but now I don't have to guess.

I have been hitting the 1000 calorie deficit with regularity since I got the bugg - I don't upload my calories burned until the end of the day, and that helps me to stay strong with my eating, because there isn't much time left to burn extra calories. Unless I want to stay up all night with the rowing machine LOL

So far, I think I'm doing okay - I've been avoiding the scale, since that's one of my obsessions. I'll weigh in this weekend and see how I'm doing, but I did update my ticker and I'm down 2 since I renewed my commitment.

I have my session with the Bodybugg trainer tonight, so I'll report in tomorrow and let y'all know how bad I got beat up...I've been really good about logging EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth, so I'm sure I'll get a spanking about some of the stuff I've eaten.

Hang in there, everybody - knowledge IS power!

Why is the HRM more accurate?

I was under the impression that they are all about 90%??

Of course in the end it just helps me see where I'm at according to it, and what I have to do for a calorie deficit to lose weight may have to be adjusted.

Why is the HRM more accurate?

I was under the impression that they are all about 90%??

Of course in the end it just helps me see where I'm at according to it, and what I have to do for a calorie deficit to lose weight may have to be adjusted.

I had been readingup on a message board for personal trainers and they were saying that even the best HRM were woefully wrong, overestimating calories burned. The HRM just measures your heart rate and takes no other measurements to calculate calories burned.

I had been readingup on a message board for personal trainers and they were saying that even the best HRM were woefully wrong, overestimating calories burned. The HRM just measures your heart rate and takes no other measurements to calculate calories burned.

Actually the better HRM let you input some other variables into their formulas like your height and weight and age.

The BodyBugg works by measuring your skin temperature (among other things), so it can be thrown off by the external temperature. If you work out when it's hot out, for example, it will under-count your calories. A heart rate monitor is more accurate than that because it measures the actual heart rate instead of a lot of indirect measures.

Btw, in the clinical study that showed 92% accuracy for the BodyBugg, the BB was used *in conjunction with a heart rate monitor* so there is no clinical evidence that a BB is 92% accurate alone.

The one caveat is that the cheap HRMs aren't that accurate. But a BB is around $250 and the $250 HRMs kick its butt!

Actually the better HRM let you input some other variables into their formulas like your height and weight and age.

The BodyBugg works by measuring your skin temperature (among other things), so it can be thrown off by the external temperature. If you work out when it's hot out, for example, it will under-count your calories. A heart rate monitor is more accurate than that because it measures the actual heart rate instead of a lot of indirect measures.

Btw, in the clinical study that showed 92% accuracy for the BodyBugg, the BB was used *in conjunction with a heart rate monitor* so there is no clinical evidence that a BB is 92% accurate alone.

The one caveat is that the cheap HRMs aren't that accurate. But a BB is around $250 and the $250 HRMs kick its butt!

Good point. I dont wear the body bug though, I wear the Gowear Fit and it was around 170.00 for me, so cheaper than some of the fancy HRM. I have been thinking about getting a HRM since all the once at the gym are ridiculous, where did you get yours and what brand? Do you like it?

Mornin' all!

Had my session with the Bodybugg trainer last night and it was quite informative. She took me through all the features of the bugg and the web site and I learned a lot.

She told me that a LOT of people underestimate their food intake by 25 - 50% - WOW! I can understand it though, cause I'm sure I did the same thing. One of the interesting things I learned was that my walking actually burns more calories than my rowing workout because when I walk, I'm supporting my entire body weight and that makes the calorie burn per minute higher. Of course, this assumes you are really striding along, not a gentle stroll.

Based on the bugg results, I'm doing okay - not quite at the 2 lb per week calorie deficit that I wanted (deficit of 800 cal per day average instead of 1000 which is the goal) so I'm going to adjust my food intake to get me closer. I will not starve myself - that's just not going to work for me - and I may add in some additional exercise as the days get longer.

I am thoroughly enjoying my bugg, and would recommend it to anyone who wants that kind of feedback. I'm sure there are other options (as mentioned in this thread) but for me the bugg is working fine.

YMMV...

I wear the Gowear Fit and it was around 170.00 for me, so cheaper than some of the fancy HRM.

But not cheaper than a Garmin Forerunner. I really covet one of those. :confused:

I ended up getting the Reebok one because it was on sale at Buy.com. It's regularly around $110, but I paid $30 for it. I'll let you know how I like it when it shows up.

I got my BB on sale in January for $179 and only just got it up and running a week ago. I already see a difference - I'm working out more, eating better...I'm very happy with it. I think its a different type of tool that works for me

I bought the bodybugg for myself for christmas. I was using it consistently, then the novelty wore off. I'll be back to bodybugging on monday. :thumbup:

Edited by blaze21

These doodads are expensive! I just realized that the Gofit and Bodybugg require monthly subscription fees on top of the hardware.

I was told I should get a HRM but I think for now I will hold off since these all appear to be $100+

I am really considering getting one... (gowear) Wondering if you all got the digital display watch when you got it?

Lc

Hi Everyone,

I just saw that the BodyBugg is going to be onsale at costco.com this weekend for Black Friday. Here is the ad, lots of other ads for many other retailers there to entice you also. :thumbup:

Costco Black Friday Ad 2009 - costco Black Friday Deals

I want one but dont have the money right now :( though i had fun looking through all thoses ads of what i would buy if i was rich heheheh :Yawn:

Im getting my BB from Costco! Of all ofthe items on my Black Friday "to buy" list this is the one I'm most excited about. I have never seen a deal on it like this, and I have been watching (and waiting).

Im hoping it can help me over these last 25lbs.

I am really considering getting one... (gowear) Wondering if you all got the digital display watch when you got it?

Lc

back to this question.. hehe.. Anyone not get the display? I thought about just getting the armband and then the wireless connecter thing..