Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emergency surgery to remove the band at five months

Hi, M!

I thought you might chime in on this one! :(

I DO understand that many, many people have had great success with their surgery in MX, and that often the price is the deciding factor as to whether or not they are able to HAVE the surgery at all. I guess it just comes down to one's comfort level. And, I guess one factor that should be a consideration when choosing your surgeon in MX is whether or not you can find a LOCAL provider that will assist you if there is an emergency. Some local Drs won't touch you if your surgery was done elswhere, so I would have to suggest that as a PART of the process of finding a surgeon in MX, you should locate and get a committment from a LOCAL provider that they will service both your fills, and will treat you if a problem comes up.

Other elements to the MX question would be the dramatically increasing drug violence (particularly along the borders) and what seems to be the increasing number of kidnappings of Americans, who are then held for ransom.

Just all things to at least CONSIDER when choosing a surgeon. My thoughts also apply to those who travel large distances within our own borders to have surgery.....I think it's simply a BETTER idea to have your surgery close to home....if at all possible. :thumbup:

What you describe is a risk we all take. If you go down the street for surgery to Dr. Jones and then Dr. Jones dies, moves, or retires... who will do your own follow up care? It is not a matter of going to Mexico and there is no follow up care, it is a matter of going to ANY doctor and hoping he is still in practice for the life of your band.

Comfort level is an issue, MX isn't for everyone. Too many people get their education on countries outside the US from yellow journalism and individual cases. Those people are too stupid to leave the US and they should stay in the US. If people aren't willing to educate themselves about the world around them they should stay in the US or not have surgery at all.

I agree with you about the violence in Mexico. It is a serious problem and this is why I push location so hard. Not all of Mexico is a horror and not every border city is of concern. This is exactly why my list of good doctors in MX is shrinking. Location is very much an issue. But you know what? The problem is in the US now too. There are places I won't go to in the US and there are places I won't go to in Mexico.

This is another reason I love the concept of sleeves over banding. The weight loss is better, it's faster, there are FAR fewer long term potential complications, and no aftercare. If for some reason you do need aftercare you are not stuck with band surgeons only. You can go to any general surgeon, GI surgeon, or bariatric surgeon. Not just band surgeons.

I chiming in on this one as I've noticed that many people have to travel far or choose to travel far to have surgeries. I'm speaking of all WLSs not just LB. It might be me but there is comfort with knowing my surgeon and his team are only 45 minutes away from me. With my daughter's RNY and my LB (now gone bye bye) and my revision (hopefully in my future) and the few times we've had emergency situations that could only have been dealt with a team familiar with WLS I could or would not choose a surgeon much further away than that. This of course has limited the type of surgery revision I choose but I suppose I'd rather them be close than have to worry when something goes wrong and who would treat me in that situation. Nancy:smile:

You are looking at bypass and for that reason you will need a great deal of aftercare so you do need someone close by. Bypass carries a great deal of potential risk and I tend to agree with you. But for sleeves, I'd go where the stats are the best and it is affordable.

When it comes to banding... that's hard. Some states have a LOT of doctors that will do the aftercare and some don't. Arizona is great, we have quite a few doctors that will do aftercare for banding.

Again.. sleeves rock. No aftercare. ;o)

Wasa, I know the sleeve would be a bad choice for me so I was looking at DS or RNY. Is it true that the sleeve is the first part of a DS? Does that make sense? It seems to me that I've read that on some other sites. There are so many revision combos out there it can get overwhelming at times. I wouldn't want to be too far from a DS surgeon and that's where I gave up on that proceedure. I think my insurance would have covered it though. Thanks Nancy.:(

I am educating myself while waiting to see the Surgeon on the 10th and hopefully get my surgery date for the band. Based on what I am reading about complications, I am leaning towards ~ if I have any complications with the band, that I might want to get sleeved, condition permitting.

But I am also trying now to see the band as a medical device/prosthetic that can, and does, go wrong. I still want to take my chances with it, to start out. I have met too many RNY patients who had a heck of a time from the procedure...

Wasa, I know the sleeve would be a bad choice for me so I was looking at DS or RNY. Is it true that the sleeve is the first part of a DS? Does that make sense? It seems to me that I've read that on some other sites. There are so many revision combos out there it can get overwhelming at times. I wouldn't want to be too far from a DS surgeon and that's where I gave up on that proceedure. I think my insurance would have covered it though. Thanks Nancy.:(

No surgery type is right for everyone. Some are good to go with restriction only, some need malabsorptive too. There is not a thing in the world wrong with either one. It is your job to see what YOU need.

We all have different issues. Me... I just like to eat. I'm a grazer, I like high fat, high carb foods and lots of it. For me restriction alone is most effective. I suck at taking Vitamins and such... I'd probably die of malnutrition with bypass because I know me and I would never take the required Vitamins. I found the surgery type right for me. You need to do the same, you need to find what is right for you.

Yes and no... the sleeve is the first part of DS. With DS the sleeve is typically made larger, with a stand alone procedure the sleeve is made smaller. I can eat 2oz of solid Protein, if I had DS my sleeve would hold double what I can eat.

I am educating myself while waiting to see the Surgeon on the 10th and hopefully get my surgery date for the band. Based on what I am reading about complications, I am leaning towards ~ if I have any complications with the band, that I might want to get sleeved, condition permitting.

But I am also trying now to see the band as a medical device/prosthetic that can, and does, go wrong. I still want to take my chances with it, to start out. I have met too many RNY patients who had a heck of a time from the procedure...

It's not really wise to go into surgery thinking if this doesn't work, you'll revise to something else.

Revisions carry a GREAT deal more risk than working on a virgin stomach. Example, leaks carry a 3x greater risk as a revision vs. 1st choice surgery.

The key is to find the right surgery type for you the FIRST time. Not to choose the easy surgery the first time and hope for the best.