Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm feeling a like I could use a success pep talk...

Hi, all~~

This is my first posting~I'm new to the site. I'm having my surgery on March 5th at Unity Hospital in Minneapolis, Mn. with Dr. Baker. Tomorrow I have my pre-surgical visit with my doctor, and then I'm off to buy everything liquid!

I've noticed many of us refer to ourselves as "banded"---does that make anybody else feel a little like a pigeon? :smile:

I think I'm here because I may be feeling a little chill in my feet, and I'd love to hear some happy success stories. So if you've read this, and care to drop me a line with your story, I'd love to hear it--and thanks!

Happy happy happy success story here!

I have zero complications, zero trouble and lost 120% of my excess weight - about 100 lb - in about 18 months, and have kept it off for 18 months.

I've just come home from shopping - bought a bikini on sale (its the end of summer here) and some new work clothes, all from normal stores, all on sale. No more very paying $80 for a bloody ugly Tshirt because its all that fits, and I have to wear SOMETHING. No more being overcharged because I'm backed into a corner regarding where I can shop.

Oh, before I went shopping I ran my daughter to school while she rode her bike - a 10km round trip. I even ran past all the workmen on the main road and didnt even feel embarrassed. I love that I'm not even tired after doing that, all in a day's work to me now.

Banding was the best thing I EVER did for myself. People didnt think I was fat enough at a BMI of 35, but the difference between how I feel now and how I felt 3 and a half years ago proves to me that I was plenty fat enough.

And banding was on the news here again this morning with Prof. O'Brien on telly talking about how it cures Type 2 diabetes. So I've had some time again today to appreciate just what it is I've done for my future health.

Jachut:

THANKS so much for your quick reply and wonderful success story....it lifted my spirits immensely. I think I'm in your original ballpark with a BMI of 36, so perhaps I can look forward to similar results. Boy, I hope so! Thanks again for the great details.

Pearson

i do have one regret and that is that i didnt do it sooner. Best thing i have ever done for myself. I lost 44lbs since sept 08. No problems thank god. Do it and dont look back. This summer im going to look great and feel great.

i dont know if this is a success story, but it is doing well for me so far! i was banded on 2/11. When i started the pre op diet i was 291lbs. the day of surgey i was 284 lbs. today, 13 days after surgery, i am 260 lbs. it is going SUPER fast for me. everyday is some more weight loss! dont get cold feet! you will change your life for the better with this!!!

I was a BMI of 41 in July of 2008. I am currently at around 29.5 - a loss of about 100 pounds. I still have 20 or 25 more pounds to go. But I dont think that is going to be an issue.

Unlike the many diets I have tried and had some success with (only to gain back more)- the band truly is a lifestyle adjustment.

I think some cold feet are normal, I think. My cold feet didnt set in until after the surgery. I asked myself --Why did I do this? I could do it on my own. I must be weak.

Now, I wouldn't change it for the world. I will admit I am one of the rare people that has had some port problems. All manageable, but point being - I will still do it a again in a NY Minute!

Good Luck

I guess I'm a success story now. Was 98kgs (BMI of 37+) when I decided to have the surgery, was 95kgs (BMI 35) on the day of surgery 1 month later, and in just over 6 months out from surgery, I've a BMI of 27 and am almost at goal.

Like Jachut I've found a new lease on life. I am fit and strong and am actually enjoying shopping for clothes now. Who would have thought it of me 6 months ago? Lol!

Edited by lellow

Many thanks to all of you for your notes of encouragement. I am feeling much better as the evening wears on. I hope I don't have port problems, but I'll manage what comes. You have been the inspiration I was hoping for. I'll follow your stories, so please keep posting, and thanks again. :)

Hi pearson. I had my surgery on September 19, 2008. I lost 16 pounds on the pre-op diet and 50 pounds since my surgery - 66 pounds total and I feel GREAT!!! My blood pressure meds were recently cut in half and my doctor thinks I will be off of them soon. I have so much more energy and am wearing clothes that I have not worn in a long time!! I haven't had any problems and I am soooooo glad that I had the surgery. I only wish I had done it sooner. I will say it has been work..... but the work is working :) Good luck to you!!! Becky

Becky,

Thank you for your note. I am your age, and I hope I have your success. If you have just a moment more...I think I know what you mean by "it has been work" but could you elaborate for me? Is it something beyond the careful eating and exercise I'm anticipating? Is there something more I should be mentally preparing for? Thanks in advance, and thanks again for responding. My, you are a kind and helpful group! :)

Hi Pearson. When I said it has been work, most of that IS the careful eating and exercise. The pre and post op diets, were for me, not easy. Getting used to living without my buddy, my tranquilizer, my fix all..... food, was not easy. Having to use willpower alone, without having restriction for 3 months after surgery, was not easy. Living with restriction and learing what foods my band can tolerate and which ones it cannot, has not been easy. Getting rid of old bad habits and working to form new good ones, has not been easy. Exercising regularly, for me, has not been easy.

Now..... having said that..... it has been so worth it!!! The band is not a quick easy fix - it does take work - but the rewards are unbelievable. I am excited for you and looking forward to hearing your success story soon. Take good care of yourself. Becky

**LBT is a great place to come. It will help warm up those chilly feet :) There are many nice people here who will answer your questions, address your concerns, share their stories, and listen when you just need to vent. Keep coming here, reading, and asking your questions. I've made some very good friends here.

Becky~

Thanks so much for getting back to me with your honest assessment, and encouragement. You are a great help.

I had my pre-surgical today, and then went out to buy everything I think I'll need for the first 2 weeks.

I do have a question for you and for anyone else who has had the surgery..... how long was it before you were back to mildly functioning and fully functioning? I'm wondering how long to keep my calendar clear.......

Thanks again, Becky!

Becky,

everyone different but in general, the first 3 days after surgery are the worst (most painful), but it's definitely manageable pain - in fact the 'trapped gas' pain is worse than any incision pain - and then you start feeling better pretty quickly after that.

I managed to go for a walk 3 days after surgery, and was back at work and feeling 95% better in two weeks. In fact I reckon I could have come back to work in 1 week when I was feeling 80% better.

The port site hurt for about 4-6 weeks, but not badly, and certainly not badly enough to restrict your activities.

And I started cycling 2 weeks after surgery.

Lellow~

Thanks for you story--it helped. I'll keep looking for your progress updates; I think you'll do well. By the way, Becky is a wonderful gal who has also responded to me. My name here is Pearson, and thanks so much again for taking the time to write!