Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I soooo cold all the time?

I was banded in October 2005 weighing in at 305 lbs...I now weigh 120 lbs...I do realize that I have lost 185 pounds but I was not always that big and was not cold natured before I gained the weight...everyone laughs because I am contantly covered up with jackets and shawls but being cold all the time is starting to get old...living in South Texas, we don't have hard winters and during the summer I fight with the family about what temp to keep the A/C on because I am always cold...my circulation has been checked and my thyroid has too..so if anyone might have any suggestions, please let me know!:smile:

I feel for you as im 4 weeks post op & since pre op stage ive been cold too.. esp my fingers & toes, like ice, I have to jump in the bath daily as well as having a shower just to warm up.. & sometimes wear gloves in bed with thermals & up to 3 hot Water bottles..Im hoping it was going to sort itself out along the journey & roll on summer

Congratulations on losing and maintaining so well!!!

I suspect that although you were not always 305 pounds, your body spent a good deal of time with excess weight insulating it. Now you have removed all of that insulation. I think that most thin people that I have known have had a tendancy to be colder in the winter and not so sweaty in the summer.

I know that I can't wait for winter to be over...I am FFFRRREEEZING!! And I am equally looking forward to a summer where I am not so embarassed with sweat (fingers crossed)

A symptom of low thyroid is difficulty maintaining a normal body temp. You could always get that checked. I am now taking thyroid meds and I am much warmer than I used to be.

Have your Iron levels checked. I am very cold all the time. My iron levels are low. I have gone from 397 to 217. I have tried to do the iron pills, but I pb them. I have tried iron rich foods, but I just can't get enough. I am currently trying adult chewable Multi Vitamins with iron. I have not noticed a difference in the 3 days. I take 3 a day. ZI know most of the pills are just making expensive pee, but I need the iron. Hopefully this helps.

I've seen other threads like this, it does seem to be prevalent with LapBanders.

I FREEZE all the time too. sleep with my electric blanket on high and can't bare to be outside when it's cold out.

For the first time since I was a kid, I can't WAIT for summer. DH is already primed to battle over the thermostat. LOL

I am HOT and sweaty all the flippin' time that I can't wait to be cold!! And who knows about peri-menopause?! We are at that age--damn it!

Just a side thought--Meds. I take an anti-depressant that has a side effect of sweating. Just thinkin' that maybe you're not taking something anymore that made you hot/warm but you didn't know at the time. Just a thought.

Join the club, since i have lost my weight I freeze all the time too. I live in Texas and last summer was the most comfortable i have been in YEARS !!!

I am always cold due to mainly my weight loss.

Fortunately I live in Southern CA but there are days when 60 degrees is very cold.

Two weeks ago I was in Idaho Falls Idaho and the temp was 7 degrees and the next day it warmed up to 23 degrees. Needless to say I wanted to wear my heavy jacket indoors.

Not having to take diabetic medicine or pain pill for back and knee pains and not having to use a CPAP machine anymore makes being cold a little more tolerable.

The main benefit is that I can now have a blanky again to provide comfort.

I also suffer from being cold all the time. My Iron levels are low and I'm not real good about taking my daily Iron, but I know if I were I would feel better.

I would get your iron level checked if it's not your thyroid

Im cold now too - think it has a lot to do with missing my stuffing now hee hee...Ill take being cold over chunky any day! Im always in sweaters - use heated blanket, turn my heating pad on my bed to heat it up before I get in it lol

I've always been cold natured, through thick and thin, but as I'm losing weight, it's getting ridiculous of how cold I am. In the winter, I have to keep the finance turned up, but I make up for it in the summer when I also keep my ac turned up too. I figure, overall, it balances out.

And a note to CanandianBanster, my husband and I lived in Canada for a few years. First off, I have to say we loved it there and have such fond memories of the wonderful friends we made. However, it seemed that the day spring came, regardless of how cold the temperature was on the thermometer, all the Canadians came out wearing their shorts and tees, and I'd still be bundled up in my coat. Your countrymen are rugged, or maybe I'm just a wimp. :smile:

lol - I am a wimp too! I love it here - but AS SOON as my children are grown - I will NOT be here when it is cold out! I will only be here in the summers and will live somewhere warm in the winter. My husband says I am the whitest Mexican he knows lol because I can not tolerate cold at all!

You absolutely can't beat the summer weather in Canada. Sounds like the best of both worlds would be summers in Canada and winters in Mexico or joining the snow birds in Florida. Maybe you'll be able to pick up a little tan then, lol.

Geez I was cold when I was heavier and it just seems like Im getting colder and colder...I guess we're losing all our insulation.

But on a side note have your Iron checked and a complete blood count low iron or red blood cells can make you cold as well....you said you had your circulation check...arterial and peripheral though? Sometimes you can have probs with one and not the other......most likely though your body just needs time to adapt to less insulation. I hope you get warm :smile: