Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: Do you still drink the protein shakes?

Do you still drink the protein shakes?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you still drink the protein shakes?

• Ew. No. I gave those up as soon as possible.
    • Rarely.
    • Sometimes I have one in place of meals.
    • I have one or two everyday.

Just curious, why do you think you may need to pick them up again? I stopped using them as a Meal Replacement as soon as I was on solids. My doctor does not want me to use soft or liquid foods as part of my meal. Solid Protein helps keep our pouch full longer. I did use them early-on as a between meal Protein supplement but I only use them after fills now (I have to do two days liquid and two days mushies after a fill).

PS:

Oops, sorry. I jumped into this thread from the "new posts" lists and answered before I realized it was directed to a specific group. :w00t:

Edited by Jodi_620

Sorry .. . I jumped in from the new posts too . . . but I DO drink them daily . . . because I can't eat enough to get 70-80 grams of Protein in a day. The doctor is fine with that . . . I'm 14 months out . .. and when I up my Protein and my Water . . .things work better for me. Just my routine. I do not use them as Meal Replacements.

Chris

I drink them about 5 days a week. I don't use them as a Meal Replacement (although sometimes I do have it for Breakfast if I am running late and can't take 30 minutes to eat oatmeal or yogurt).

I use them to up my Protein intake. I noticed quite a bit of Hair loss from about 8 - 12 months out. Once I started drinking the Protein Shake daily (after a workout or as an afternoon "snack") and taking Biotin, my hair stopped shedding as much.

I figure I'll continue to have them on days I work out to up my protein.

I drink an Unjury shake or a bottle of Isopure nearly every day. I can't eat in the morning so that is what I have for breakfast. When I make the shakes I use skim milk and add a serving of frozen fruit like blueberries, cherries, pineapple or banana to up my fruit intake and make the shake taste better. I also add Calcium powder so I don't have to chew the calcium pills. (yuck) I lose weight better when I do the Protein Shakes. The other two meals I eat solid Protein and veggies.

I haven't drank a Protein shake since a few weeks post-op. I do drink a bottle of Isopure after fills when I have to be on liquids for a day (I do liquids for one day, then soft foods the next). Other than that, I get my Protein from solid foods. chicken, tuna, fish, turkey. 4oz. of chicken breast (without the skin) gives you 34 grams of protein right there. My humble opinion, if you drink too much of your protein, it slides right through and leaves you hungry. I do eat a Protein Bar once a day:

R-Kane Tiny Meal Bars

Expensive but worth it, and it helps with my sweet/chocolate cravings. It's one of the Protein Bars with the highest amount of protein and lowest amount of carbs/sugars/fat. My hospital (weight loss center) actually sells them, so I don't pay the shipping. I easily get 80 to 100 grams of protein a day.

Try eating healthy carbs. I eat about 100 gms of those a day. Fruits and veggies, whole grains. I eat a piece of toast with breakfast every morning, it's whole grain light (I top it with sugar free fruit preserves.) Both my dietitian and exercise physiologist have told me that I need carbs to burn weight, plus the brain uses them (I need that help, lol).

To add some calorie free flavor to your meals, try Walden Farms products. I don't like all of them, but the ranch dressing and the chocolate Syrup are great. I put the chocolate syrup in my coffee, lol . . . it's just a great way to keep the diet going without being boring.

Walden Farms Calorie Free Foods are calorie free, fat free, sugar free, carbohydrate free and gluten free. Enjoy over 50 delicious calorie free foods

Try eating low-starch vegetables - baby carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, cauliflower, celery, tomatoes, mushrooms, pea pods, there's lots more - maybe do a Google search for them. These are "free" foods, I can nibble on them when I get hungry. Yeah, you get tired of feeling like a rabbit, lol . . . but then there are lots good foods you can eat with them too. At lunch, I eat a small salad with tomatoes and cucumbers. It helps fill me up. I sometimes add tuna to the salad, 4 oz. of tuna will give me 28 grams of protein (I use a tablespoon of Miracle Whip Light to top it off). Of course, make sure you're not a bandster where lettuce gets stuck! :smile:

Do you work with a dietitian RSG? One who's experienced with Lap-band patients? It might really help get your metabolism going again if you change up your diet.

I hope some of this has helped . . . I wish you the very best of luck! Cheers and applause to you for hanging in there, and not giving up! That's hard work, give yourself a big pat on the back for that:thumbup:

(((warm hugs)))

I drink an unjury shake or a bottle of Isopure nearly every day. I can't eat in the morning so that is what I have for breakfast. When I make the shakes I use skim milk and add a serving of frozen fruit like blueberries, cherries, pineapple or banana to up my fruit intake and make the shake taste better. I also add Calcium powder so I don't have to chew the calcium pills. (yuck) I lose weight better when I do the Protein shakes. The other two meals I eat solid Protein and veggies.

A Protein Shake or drink for breakfast does sound like a good idea - I haven't used them, but it sounds good if you're on the go. My band is very tight in the morning too. :smile:

StLouisGal, Have you tried the GNC chewable Calcium pills? The one I use is cherry-flavored, and I actually look forward to chewing it up, it's like a piece of candy, lol. They also make chocolate chews, and those are like candy. I loved them, until I read the first four ingredients - Corn Syrup, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, palm kernel oil. No wonder they tasted good, lol. I gave them to my husband, and stick to the cherry ones now. Just a suggestion! :cursing:

I'll have to check that out. Bariatric Choice is coming out with a calcium citrate chew but they won't be here until the first of April. I'll stop at GNC on my way home.

Wow, Thanks Rhapsody,

I don't have a dieticien. The one my Dr. sent me too as a completely rude bonehead who I wanted to hit, and I get along with pretty much everybody. The whole time I was in there I was thinking "you will NEVER see me again."

I'm gonna print this out. Thanks again. Maybe I should find another dietician.

And no worries, Jodi and Christasha. Your always welcome to join in on the conversations.

I haven't drank a Protein shake since a few weeks post-op. I do drink a bottle of Isopure after fills when I have to be on liquids for a day (I do liquids for one day' date=' then soft foods the next). Other than that, I get my Protein from solid foods. chicken, tuna, fish, turkey. 4oz. of chicken breast (without the skin) gives you 34 grams of protein right there. My humble opinion, if you drink too much of your protein, it slides right through and leaves you hungry. I do eat a Protein Bar once a day:

R-Kane Tiny Meal Bars

Expensive but worth it, and it helps with my sweet/chocolate cravings. It's one of the Protein Bars with the highest amount of protein and lowest amount of carbs/sugars/fat. My hospital (weight loss center) actually sells them, so I don't pay the shipping. I easily get 80 to 100 grams of protein a day.

Try eating healthy carbs. I eat about 100 gms of those a day. Fruits and veggies, whole grains. I eat a piece of toast with breakfast every morning, it's whole grain light (I top it with sugar free fruit preserves.) Both my dietitian and exercise physiologist have told me that I need carbs to burn weight, plus the brain uses them (I need that help, lol).

To add some calorie free flavor to your meals, try Walden Farms products. I don't like all of them, but the ranch dressing and the chocolate Syrup are great. I put the chocolate syrup in my coffee, lol . . . it's just a great way to keep the diet going without being boring.

Walden Farms Calorie Free Foods are calorie free, fat free, sugar free, carbohydrate free and gluten free. Enjoy over 50 delicious calorie free foods

Try eating low-starch vegetables - baby carrots, cucumbers, lettuce, cauliflower, celery, tomatoes, mushrooms, pea pods, there's lots more - maybe do a Google search for them. These are "free" foods, I can nibble on them when I get hungry. Yeah, you get tired of feeling like a rabbit, lol . . . but then there are lots good foods you can eat with them too. At lunch, I eat a small salad with tomatoes and cucumbers. It helps fill me up. I sometimes add tuna to the salad, 4 oz. of tuna will give me 28 grams of protein (I use a tablespoon of Miracle Whip Light to top it off). Of course, make sure you're not a bandster where lettuce gets stuck! :smile:

Do you work with a dietitian RSG? One who's experienced with Lap-band patients? It might really help get your metabolism going again if you change up your diet.

I hope some of this has helped . . . I wish you the very best of luck! Cheers and applause to you for hanging in there, and not giving up! That's hard work, give yourself a big pat on the back for that:thumbup:

(((warm hugs)))

I do still, but it's more of a morning get going thing and to help to get all the daily Protein needs. I drink it while getting ready for work and to take my daily Vitamins. I also add some Fiber to it.

I do not use it as a meal replacement. I make them to be a bit over 100 calories, then I will have some Cereal and a banana in a few hours.

Don't hate on the shakes ppl, I like them!

Wow, Thanks Rhapsody,

I don't have a dieticien. The one my Dr. sent me too as a completely rude bonehead who I wanted to hit, and I get along with pretty much everybody. The whole time I was in there I was thinking "you will NEVER see me again."

I'm gonna print this out. Thanks again. Maybe I should find another dietician.

And no worries, Jodi and Christasha. Your always welcome to join in on the conversations.

You're welcome RSG! That's too bad your first dietitian didn't work for you. Maybe your doctor could suggest another? I believe trying to go it alone is never a good idea. Seeking help is strength & smart thinking - you first sought help with your weight loss by getting a lap-band, now continue with someone who can help you eat smart. It's like alcoholics that seek help with AA - they are the ones most likely to succeed in conquering their disorder. I couldn't have come this far without my dietitian - she's a great fountain of information. I wish you the very best, and stay with us here and let us know how you are doing! :cool2:

I agree too Jodi & Christasha - everyone is welcome here. :wink:

And I hope I didn't sound like I was hatin' on the Protein shakes LilMissDiva! :smile: If it works and you like it, perfect! They just don't work for me, I'm hungry like 10 minutes later.:cursing: I really hate the day after a fill - drinking liquids for 24 hours drives me nuts. I do like StLouisGal's idea though, she made a very good point - those shakes would be perfect in the morning for people who have that tight band problem!

just keep swimming! :thumbup:

I am newly banded too, 10 Feb 2009, but I have been on Protein Shakes since 22 Dec 2008. I use them for a breakfast meal replacement. Put some ice in the Magic Bullet and get it really fine, like snow, add a scoop of unflavored Protein Powder, a cup of milk and a sugar free Instant Breakfast, blend it all up and run out the door. I drink it on my comute and I am not hungry till about noon. I will keep doing that till I get really tired of them, which is not going to be soon. It is like starting your day with a chocolate milk shake! Yum! A man who has lost over 100 in a year told me he gets the Banana Protein and the Chocolate protein and mixes them for breakfast. He says they are very very good. I am going to GNC this weekend to get that.

And I hope I didn't sound like I was hatin' on the Protein shakes LilMissDiva! :thumbup: If it works and you like it' date=' perfect! They just don't work for me, I'm hungry like 10 minutes later.:tt2: I really hate the day after a fill - drinking liquids for 24 hours drives me nuts. I do like StLouisGal's idea though, she made a very good point - those shakes would be perfect in the morning for people who have that tight band problem!

just keep swimming! :tongue:[/quote']

Haha! I didn't mean you personally, sorry if you thought so! I was just saying it in general, tongue in cheek... maybe I should have followed up with :lol: or a :wink2:.

Alas, I am tight in the am and I drink it up quick, but I too am hungry only an hour or two later.

Uh, Ms. Diva. Is that itty bitty skinny face with the curly hair YOU!?! You look fantastic!

You all do.

Okay, it looks like the Protein shakes are winning out, or at least some form of Protein. I think I will try the bars.

Yeah that crazy chick is me. Thanks! My face at least is thin :))