Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6cc in band and no restriction?

After my first fill, 4 cc, I had better restriction then for about 3 weeks then I knew it was time for another fill. I could eat a house! LOL. My dr did 2 cc's this past time and I am still hungry in-between meals. I can still eat a foot-long Subway grinder and want more! The fill went fine and there are no problems with my band. I have a 14 cc band. Do you think that might be the problem? The 14 cc band might be too large so I might need more fills to get to my "sweet spot"? I go to see my dr again on Wednesday and I am going to let him know that this last fill (this past Monday) did nothing for me. I havent lost or gained ANYTHING in 3 weeks because thats how long it's been since I have needed a good fill! I am getting so frustrated because I am trying so hard. Anyone have any advice on this?

I have 4.5cc in my band - I think it's an 11cc band - and similarly can still eat a lot of food. I do have the experience of things being 'stuck' or difficult to get down if I don't chew well enough - but the quantity is still the issue. Any advice would be most appreciated. S

A rule of thumb my doctor uses is if you eat 1/4 of good solid Protein (ie chicken) and 1/4 cup of a solid veg (ie cooked broccoli) and you're hungry in three hours, you probably need a fill.

Also, if you're not losing weight, and you're eating a healthy diet w/o slider and junk foods, you may need a fill.

Edited by kiz

I had 7.6 cc in a 10cc band until 5 days ago. My weight started to plateau in November and so I had a fill, skipped December and another fill in January and still no weight loss. My weight actually started going up. I was getting a lump in my throat, swollen glands, bloating and was hungry and grazing especially after dinner. I was also cranky and on edge all of the time. I didn't have issues with pbing or sliming except 1 or 2 times a month. My doctor thought I maybe I was too tight and removed 3 full cc from my band.

The next morning I woke up feeling so much better,with more energy, and I am not hungry or looking for food. The weight has started moving in the right direction. I think I missed my sweet spot being in a hurry to get to higher fill number chasing the elusive "restriction".

Don't be in such a rush to find "restriction" to stop you from eating, you need measure and weigh your food portions and don't put any extra on your plate, then walk away from the table. You are responsible for what you put in your mouth, the band is a tool to help dim your hunger so you are satisfied with smaller portions of food. You are looking to feel satisfied with the amount you ate not full or stuffed.

I now know what that sweet spot feels like and it is just as much a HEAD or mind thing as it is physically not being hungry and it took removing 3CC from my band to get to it.

I was told NO bread, Pasta, rice with the band. They tend to ball up and get stuck and don't promote weight loss.

I will say sorry now, but when I read about people eating a whole footlong sub, and then the statement- "trying so hard" I laugh. Not to be mean, but how hard what that? I battle every day not to eat fast food. I am a fast food addict. Oh I get broccoli Soup from McDonalds and Subway- but I woudn't even TRY a sub.

I know someone will get offended with my post, but I really am trying to help you see that you still have to change your eating habits with the band. Why are you eating that much bread? If you have to go to subway, get double meat and cheese with veggies, roll it up and eat it. Bread is air and disappears quickly. Protein takes longer to digest and will keep you fuller longer.

A lot of people think the band will work just because of Portion Control. That is NOT the case. I have learned it is a tool to help me diet (eat healthier). You have to change your state of mind about eating or the band will not work for you.

Good luck!!!

I will say sorry now, but when I read about people eating a whole footlong sub, and then the statement- "trying so hard" I laugh. Not to be mean, but how hard what that? I battle every day not to eat fast food. I am a fast food addict. Oh I get broccoli Soup from McDonalds and Subway- but I woudn't even TRY a sub.

I know someone will get offended with my post, but I really am trying to help you see that you still have to change your eating habits with the band. Why are you eating that much bread? If you have to go to subway, get double meat and cheese with veggies, roll it up and eat it. Bread is air and disappears quickly. Protein takes longer to digest and will keep you fuller longer.

A lot of people think the band will work just because of Portion Control. That is NOT the case. I have learned it is a tool to help me diet (eat healthier). You have to change your state of mind about eating or the band will not work for you.

Good luck!!!

Am I eating McDonalds everyday, NO? Am I eating Subway everdayday? NO. I am giving you a portion size that I can eat. And do I eat all the bread, NO. Maybe I should be more specific. Do you know my workout routine, NO? If you have a problem with the way I am eating them maybe just dont reply to my post. My dr says that breads are fine as long as well chewed and in moderation (I eat bread about 1-2 times a week). So know your facts before "laughing" that I am trying "so hard" to loose weight. I have been in my dr's program for 8 months now so I have the "state of mind" for the band. :tt2:

I'm sure your band isn't "too large" for you; surely you trust your surgeon to place what fits! I have 5.5 ccs in my 14 cc band and just since the last fill on 1/30 have I finally discovered that if I eat too much I get "stuck" etc. For me, making those dratted healthy choices and controlling what I eat is getting much easier because I am not hungry all the time. I have been so marvelously successful on diet after diet...losing up to as much as 45 pounds and then gaining back 65 over and over. Diets don't work for me; they don't work for many of us. SO I look at the band as a lifestyle change and try to choose healthy but don't feel like doggy poo when I choose something more "outside the range". A week ago I got a Whataburger Patty Melt (here for a limited time! LOL) and could only eat 1/4 of it. I was ecstatic! And I was full for 5 hours. I haven't had, nor even wanted, another patty melt, but I'm glad I got the one I did, and I'm glad it made me full for so long. THAT is restriction, for me.

So I think yes you probably need another fill; everyone is different. No a foot long subway isn't a great choice; neither was my patty melt. But this is life and as long as we choose the right way more often than not, i think we'll be fine! Restriction makes it WAY easier to choose the right way, until you get too much...then you turn to sliders. Good luck; talk to your doc, and hang in there!

I am sorry if you were upset at my advice. I am also sorry you are so hungry that you can eat that much and still want to eat more. I have been there many times, but cut myself off, even though I was still hungry, because I knew I needed to. What I was trying to say, is that until you do get that restriction, you have to try to restrict yourself. I know it is hard, and that is why we needed the band in the first place, but I have also read many people who have good band restriction but still eat carbs and sugars and not enough Protein. My worry for you is that when you do get restriction you will still eat those comfort foods (who doesn't love Subway?). I say this out of concern- and sometimes it doesn't come out right. Sorry again. I will make sure when I mess up (cause I am sure it will happen) I let you know and you can rip on me about it. But hey- I actually want that- it keeps me in line:wink2: I don't post anything without hoping for a little tough love. I know not everyone is that way...

I'm sure your band isn't "too large" for you; surely you trust your surgeon to place what fits! I have 5.5 ccs in my 14 cc band and just since the last fill on 1/30 have I finally discovered that if I eat too much I get "stuck" etc. For me, making those dratted healthy choices and controlling what I eat is getting much easier because I am not hungry all the time. I have been so marvelously successful on diet after diet...losing up to as much as 45 pounds and then gaining back 65 over and over. Diets don't work for me; they don't work for many of us. SO I look at the band as a lifestyle change and try to choose healthy but don't feel like doggy poo when I choose something more "outside the range". A week ago I got a Whataburger Patty Melt (here for a limited time! LOL) and could only eat 1/4 of it. I was ecstatic! And I was full for 5 hours. I haven't had, nor even wanted, another patty melt, but I'm glad I got the one I did, and I'm glad it made me full for so long. THAT is restriction, for me.

So I think yes you probably need another fill; everyone is different. No a foot long subway isn't a great choice; neither was my patty melt. But this is life and as long as we choose the right way more often than not, i think we'll be fine! Restriction makes it WAY easier to choose the right way, until you get too much...then you turn to sliders. Good luck; talk to your doc, and hang in there!

I think splurging in this instance what the right choice for you, because it showed you you can't eat as much as you used to. I had some pie at a social event (my first sweet 8 weeks after surgery) and had to cut myself off because I didn't get full (and this was AFTER dinner). It wasn't until later I realized banana cream pie is a slider food. I won't make THAT mistake again. Of course, dispite me telling my friends what I could eat, many things in large portions were thrust my way. It is REALLY hard to walk away from partially eaten food and let the rest go to waste. I have only had one fill and almost no restriction- can't wait to get to where you are...Of course, I make sure to only put a certain amount on my plate when I am in charge, and if I am not full when it is gone, I suffer through it. Suffering sucks, but my baby girl helps me remember why I am doing this in the first place:cool2:

I have to agree with you!

I believe I have been so successful because I followed my doc's diet plan early on and through bandster hell until my fill level started controlling my portions and restricting me from certain foods (breads, rice, pasta's).

The only time I deviated early on and through band hell was when I ate sugar free pudding after a fill (was only supposed to have liquids). It got stuck and I suffered for 4 days with an irritated band and had to have some Fluid removed...

Since then, I have been at a good fill level and I make healthy food choices.

My band wont allow bread at my current fill level. However...I would have NEVER eaten a sub sandwich with the bread even if I could! What I would have done if I just couldn't control the urge would be order the sandwich without the bread...That is a much smarter, healthier choice as a bandster.

Good luck!!!

I need help-seriously. I have a 9cc band and I am filled to 9 cc's and I have no restriction. Yes your probably thinking a leak but doctor checked and there was no leak so what gives. I am going to lose it as this depresses me so much.

I need help-seriously. I have a 9cc band and I am filled to 9 cc's and I have no restriction. Yes your probably thinking a leak but doctor checked and there was no leak so what gives. I am going to lose it as this depresses me so much.

I've often wondered what the differences were in restriction on a 9cc band versus a 12cc band. How much does a 9cc band shut down the opening versus the 12cc band (for example). Is it possible that a 9cc band doesn't shut down the opening as much as a larger band? I dunno...but you might want to find out. I have 8.5cc in a 12cc band and have restriction.

Why do you think you don't have restriction? Tell us a bit more about your eating habits through the day (what do you eat at a meal, how much do you eat, how long does it take you to eat, etc.).

You should eat about 1 cup of food in a 20-30 minute period and it should be about 2-3 oz of Protein, 1/4-1/2 cup of vegies and 1/4 cup of carbs. You should not drink with your meals as it slides the food through (or, if you take a gulp, will cause you to slime).

I have restriction and by the time I finish that amount of food (sometimes sooner), I know I'm full. My belly doesn't tell me so. My head does. On the few times I didn't listen to my head, that next bite made me uncomfortable for 10 minutes or so until some of the food from my pouch moved down. I usually drink a low carb, low cal Protein shake between meals and mid-evening to boost my Protein and keep me from craving.

After my first fill, 4 cc, I had better restriction then for about 3 weeks then I knew it was time for another fill. I could eat a house! LOL. My dr did 2 cc's this past time and I am still hungry in-between meals. I can still eat a foot-long Subway grinder and want more! The fill went fine and there are no problems with my band. I have a 14 cc band. Do you think that might be the problem? The 14 cc band might be too large so I might need more fills to get to my "sweet spot"? I go to see my dr again on Wednesday and I am going to let him know that this last fill (this past Monday) did nothing for me. I havent lost or gained ANYTHING in 3 weeks because thats how long it's been since I have needed a good fill! I am getting so frustrated because I am trying so hard. Anyone have any advice on this?

I have a 12cc band and didn't reach even temporary restriction from swelling until I had 7cc in it. At 8.5cc I finally had restriction. We're all different so where we reach restriction will vary.

Like you, until I had restriction, I could eat anything I wanted. Not that I necessarily did and I'm guessing you didn't either...just that I *could*.

My doc's rule of thumb for fills was if I was hungry and/or *could* eat to excess, then get a fill. Sounds like you need a fill. Hang in there, you'll get to that 'sweet spot'.

Am I eating McDonalds everyday, NO? Am I eating Subway everdayday? NO. I am giving you a portion size that I can eat.
I think the point being made was that some of us could not begin to tell you the portion size we can eat. Why? Because we haven't tested it. We stop when we've eaten the "prescribed" portion size. Hungry or no.

It sounds as though your doctor gives you lots of latitude, food-wise--and that can either be really good, or not so good. Do you find that you are more satisfied when you stick to a portion of solid Protein and a portion of veggies? Are there things that DO stick with you better?

It's terribly frustrating, but your ticker shows a really great loss so far. Even without restriction, you're obviously doing something very right.

Is your doctor willing to work with you to accelerate restriction?

I need help-seriously. I have a 9cc band and I am filled to 9 cc's and I have no restriction.
This isn't uncommon. If your doctor hasn't already, have him research the MAXIMUM capacity; many need to have more added to their bands than the size specifies. Don't give up!

I have had my band for 6 months. Realize band, 14cc's.

So far, I have had 3 fills and am up to 6 cc's and I feel nothing in terms of restriction. I often don't know I have the band unless something gets stuck. I went almost three months without losing weight but am now going down again. I read all the above threads and am in agreement--portion size is the key but what also is crucial and wasn't mentioned is logging all your food. You can do this with pen and paper but I have found the free softwares on the internet to be wonderful. If you don't record ALL the food you put into your mouth, you will often overeat because most people underestimate the amount of calories they eat in a meal.

I have tried various software--Livestrong, Sparkpeople, the Realize band software and am now using an app for my iPhone called Lose It! I record every meal and all my exercise and the software end up telling me how many calories I have eaten vs. calories expended in excercise and then I can get a nutrition guide listing how many carbs, Proteins, etc....I absolutely could not have success without logging all my food. I feel this is the most important thing we can do because it keeps us accountable for portions, calories, Proteins, etc...but also lets us see when we are starting to eat more and perhaps can guide us as to when we need a fill.