Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone had surgery by Dr. Alberto Aceves?

Hi Cindy,

I had my surgery by him on April 30th...he was wonderful. I have had no complications and feel he's a good surgeon.

Have not had my first fill yet...still have restriction and have lost 25 lbs thus far. I think God is allowing me to adjust to this amount of weight loss before I move on to the next 25 lbs...been dealing with the whole 'head hunger' deal and probably eating too much Fritos and ice cream...ahem!!!

I was taken aback by the hospital - kinda had a 1950's feel to it - but it was clean and the staff was great.

I would love to get my fills from him but don't relish the thought of flying to San Diego, then the 2 hour drive to his office.

You will like him...he has much experience and pulls no puches - tells you this is a tool...and of course, he's right.

Good luck, and keep me posted.

Paula

04/30/2005

215/190/155

Paula,

I am considering Dr. Huacuz or Dr. Aceves. I have heard nothing but great things about Dr. Aceves and his staff. Dr. Huacuz is less expensive and since I am self pay, I may not have a choice. My heart wants to go to Mexicali with Dr. Aceves, but my pocket book says I should have surgery done with Dr. Huacuz in TJ. I am still checking and researching and trying to get as much info as possible.

Thanks so much for your response!! Good luck to you and keep think'in skinny!! Sound like your doing great!!

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

I can't offer any information on either Dr., I went to Monterrey but my two cents worth is do lots of research, contact as many patients directly as you can find, and don't use the costs only as the basis for your decision. I think that it is very important that you feel very comfortable with the surgeon you choose. I delayed my surgery for a month and did more research by contacting the surgeons patients directly. I didn't ask for contact names from the Dr.'s offices I used LBT and the Yahoo boards to locate people who had used the surgeons I was looking into.

Best wishes,

Barbara

Thanks you Barbara for responding. I appreciate your input. I too will be taking my time researching and taking the advice from people who have done their homework like yourself. Who was your surgeon from Monterrey? I will check out his website. What is LBT & how do you access Yahoo boards?

Best of luck to you with your weight loss!!

Cindy

I used Dr. Artuto Rodriguez in Monterrey. Here is his website link http://www.thebariatric.com. As far as locating patients on the forums LBT is Lap Band Talk the one we are currently one. This has been the absolute best forum I could find.

I also used yahoo.com I just searched for Lap Band Forums and also found a few patients in the Yahoo WLS (Weight Loss Surgery) forums.

my pocket book says I should have surgery done with Dr. Huacuz in TJ.

If going to Mexico for surgery, cheaper is not always better.

It is very competitive in TJ. So if it is a couple of thousand dollars less with another doctor, you need to ask yourself why. A couple thousand dollars extra to have a more experienced Dr. in TJ is well worth it in my opinion. I could of had mine done in TJ for alot less but I feel I went with the best Dr. in TJ. The extra I spent was well worth his expertise, and how many bands he had placed. Just my 2 cents.

I had my surgery on July 1 with Rodolfo Sanchez in Monterrey; it was a very good experience. I'd done a lot of research, called Inamed, e-mailed his patients... The hospital is wonderful too and you can stay in his guest house before and after, where they take very good care of you. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions..

I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Aceves. He is kind and a great surgeon. I researched him for about 6 months and tried to find out anything bad that I could about him. Wasn't able to find anything (and I looked hard!). I called several of his patients and they raved and raved him.

But the thing that sold me was his nurse coordinator Nina. She is amazing. She was so patient and kind and answered a bazillion questions for me the months prior to me having surgery (and after my surgery!).

I've been banded for two and half months now and really don't have any reason to be in contact with their office any more since I go to a Dr. here in the states for my fills. But just yesterday I got an email from Nina out of the blue saying that she was thinking of me during this hard time (my mom has cancer) and wanted to know how I was doing. I've never had anybody in the medical field give me that kind of follow up and personal care.

I also have her and Dr. Aceves phone numbers in case anything ever goes wrong with instructions to call any time night or day if I"m having a problem.

I can't express how much the means to me. I've never felt alone or scared during this whole process. Any time I have a question I just email or call Nina and she gets back to me ASAP. They are both amazing.

Ok I'll stop but I seriously love them and am so happy that I went with Dr. Aceves for my band.

Good luck and please feel free to email me if you have any questions or just want to know more about Dr. Aceves.

Oh also Dr. Aceves has a yahoo group if you are interested. Good luck!

Guest oohsal

is he in mexico,how hard is it to get a doctor to folow you in the states oohsal

You should try Betancourt Medical. They are very experienced in this surgery. You can go to their website or call and talk to Violet or Melissa. They are really nice and are also banded. betancourtmedical.com I just had a fill there and people are very nice and take very good care of you even for a fill!!

Hey, I just found this thread. I don't come over here very often. (Maybe I should!) :-) I had my surgery with Dr. Aceves on March 1st. So far I have lost 74lbs!! I started at 280 and I am now at 206. I have a website which details my experience with Dr. Aceves and also has photo's of my journey to Mexicali. It is at http://www.tracyslapband.com You can click on "Mexico Experience" to read about my journey. Nina is truly awesome and so is Dr. Aceves. I wish you luck with whoever you choose!

Tracy

I had my surgery with Dr. Aceves a year ago this month and can not say enough wonderful things about him and his staff. His coordinator takes care of everything for you, picks you up at the airport, gets you checked in to the hospital...she is great. I feel like I got better care there than I would have in a US hospital. Dr. Aceves has the best bed side manner!! He is so nice and never makes you feel stupid the way some US docters will. I have been back for 2 fills with Dr. Aceves, he does them free for the first year, all you pay is for the Fluro which is $100. I have a Dr. set up down here in Florida incase I have probelms, but he charges $700 for a fill, so it is less expensive to go back to Dr. Aceves even with the air fare. I also just feel better having Dr. Aceves do my fills. I was a slow starter, I did not have any restriction untill my 2nd fill, but have been loosing well since then. I am down 50lbs at the year mark and have 50 more to go. I hope you seriously look into Dr. Aceves, he is great!!!

is he in Mexico,how hard is it to get a doctor to folow you in the states oohsal

This is the million dollar question that MUST be answered BEORE you go to Mx (or anywhere out of the county) for WLS.

I love my Mx doc, had a good experience, a great band placement, no regrets, would do it again, and my sister will be seeing the same doc, very soon, we hope. BUT I do have a US band doc who will see me for problems if needed and who will do my fills despite the fact I was banded in Mx. I had this all lined up before I scheduled with my Mx doc.

Dr Kuri is still available to me by phone or e-mail and as long as I travel to Mx, he can and will see me. But it's important to have someone handy close to home. This is the "Golden Rule" for Mexican bandsters, especially if you live nowhere close to the border.