Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Hopeless

I feel like the lapband has failed me, or I'm the failure. Not sure which. Haven't posted in a while, but this is ridiculous. They told us not to put all our eggs in one basket and to not look at this like the 'last resort' but who are we kidding... when we go under the knife to lose weight, that is the last resort. DUH.

I've spent the morning crying and feel I have no where to turn. I'm just so frustrated!

I joined WW but that made me do nothing but THINK ABOUT food 24/7. I lost about 9 pounds in 4 months with them. Wow!

I'm sorry, I just thought maybe someone out there had something to share, some bit of wisdom. So sorry.

My doctor had me on the high Protein shakes, Soups, etc. V. low carb sort of diet, which is how I lost most of the weight, but I am wondering if that didn't screw up my system and set me up to fail if i ate anything remotely off the low carb plan.

I'm dizzy with all this... so at a loss.

sorry.:sneaky:

Hi:

You probably haven't felt restriction yet, or you may be eating around the restriction. If you're not restricted yet, please see your doctor (or a different one) and get your band so that it is adjusted to the proper level. If you're eating around the band, please get some psychological help. If you've gone through the surgery you must be serious about wanting to lose the weight, now you need to get more help. I know I wouldn't be succesful if I didn't have restriction.

Best wishes to you.

Sue

Hi there, I read how desperate you are, but I am also confused...your signature, if I read it right, shows you have lost quite a bit of weight. 291/245/165

That is wonderful. Have you gained the weight back?

I also agree with Sue, do you need a fill? Is your Dr. helping with your problem? If so change drs. I did! My surgeon did a great job, but I wasn't getting the support I felt I needed, so I found a different dr and couldn't be happier.

Good luck, Joanie :sneaky:)

I looked back through some of your old posts and see that you have lost, just very slowly, and that you have PCOS. If you truly are working out and eating right and not losing, then I would think you'd 1. need a good physical to see if you have thyroid issues 2. see if you need medication to help with your PCOS, and then armed with that info 3. meet with a GOOD nutritionist.

I don't think it matters at all whether you failed the band or vice versa. You just need some intervention.

And honestly, at least you DID lose 9 pounds with WW. So, you can lose. Just a little tweaking might get that 9 pounds to 16 which is 1 pound a week (the low end of average lap band weekly loss). Call your doc, and then your nutritionist.

And FYI I don't think eating "low carb" can screw up your sytem. It's more likely that having PCOS you are more insulin resistant and lose better (as do many many people) with a low carb, low fat, high Protein diet. Why not try that again if it worked for you before? Either way a nutritionist can help you.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

Hi there, I read how desperate you are, but I am also confused...your signature, if I read it right, shows you have lost quite a bit of weight. 291/245/165

That is wonderful. Have you gained the weight back?

I also agree with Sue, do you need a fill? Is your Dr. helping with your problem? If so change drs. I did! My surgeon did a great job, but I wasn't getting the support I felt I needed, so I found a different dr and couldn't be happier.

Good luck, Joanie :sneaky:)

Joanie... I see a couple of you have mentioned that you switched doctors for support. Are we allowed to do this?

I read a letter to the editor recently in our area of a women who has been refused service by any other Lap Band doctor in our area. She said that was frustrated and did not think her doctor was very supportive. (I couldn't help but wonder if she had my doctor)

What did you do to switch?

thanks

I looked back through some of your old posts and see that you have lost, just very slowly, and that you have PCOS. If you truly are working out and eating right and not losing, then I would think you'd 1. need a good physical to see if you have thyroid issues 2. see if you need medication to help with your PCOS, and then armed with that info 3. meet with a GOOD nutritionist.

I don't think it matters at all whether you failed the band or vice versa. You just need some intervention.

And honestly, at least you DID lose 9 pounds with WW. So, you can lose. Just a little tweaking might get that 9 pounds to 16 which is 1 pound a week (the low end of average lap band weekly loss). Call your doc, and then your nutritionist.

And FYI I don't think eating "low carb" can screw up your sytem. It's more likely that having PCOS you are more insulin resistant and lose better (as do many many people) with a low carb, low fat, high Protein diet. Why not try that again if it worked for you before? Either way a nutritionist can help you.

I have been treated for the PCOS but it gave me some strange side effects like electrical shock like feelings up my arms and legs. Once medication was stopped, it disappeared. I do expect to lose slow, but the 9 pounds was lost in about 2 1/2 months... then I stayed on for about 2 more months just plateauing. I have not gained back the weight.

I think you are right about the PCOS... low carb is definately better. Sadly right now I am craving carbs like no tomorrow... white knuckling it but boy it is not easy!

ty ty ty for your responses.. it means a lot to this stranger... :sneaky:

I didn't have any problem changing drs., but I may not live where ever you're from. It may be different there.

Give it a try, ask on here if anyone knows of a good dr in your area....you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. ( or should I have said lose ...haha) Joanie :sneaky:)

Judith, have you journaled what you are eating and how much? Beyond the wonderfully sage advice already offered, it might show you a pattern that you didn't realize before.