Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure if I should get my 1st fill in 4 days..please help!

Hey Colorado, I probably would rethink the unfill before vacation. Your best bet is to just don't get a new fill before going. If you unfill, you may take longer to get back to where you were before. If you aren't too tight to begin with, you can eat most things as long as you eat it slowly and don't eat too much. I got small fills and never got sick until I became too tight after my hysterectomy in December. Before then, I ate most things I wanted, I just ate about 1/3 of it. Just remember, when you do decide to get fills, be conservative. Good Luck!

Thanks again for all the GREAT feedback. OMG, so now I am totally confused as to what to do..:biggrin: (as if I weren't to start with).

If I do get my fill tomorrow, they start out very small, so that's good. If I have too much restriction I can always get it taken out right?

However, if I do get a fill and can still eat what I want just less, that's my ultimate goal.

OK, so at this moment, I'm still going for my fill...status could change..lol

Now regarding my vacation. Once I hit my "sweet spot" (or at least comfortable eating what I want without any issues) then I should not get unfilled for the vacation right? And the reasoning behind this is that if I'm getting good restriction, and not having any "stuck" problems, then it doesn't matter where I'm at (on vacation or at home) I can still eat what I want and will not "start over" to where I was at pre-fill, is that correct? If so, it makes sense.

I just cannot shake this STUPID feeling that if I "mess with the works" when I'm doing fine (not losing quickly but doing OK) that somehow I won't be able to eat normal foods. I'm just being paranoid right? If I have no problems now, I will not have them after being filled..is this true?

Seriously, sometimes I hate being an indecisive woman :rolleyes: Thanks for the advice, I could use more apparently..lol

If I have no problems now, I will not have them after being filled..is this true?

Unfortunately no, that is not necessarily true. From what I've read, some people find that things they formerly had no trouble eating become problems after a fill. As far as that goes though, I've also read where, even without a fill, some people experience fluctuations in what they can eat. Some people's stomas are sensitive to stress, hormonal changes, etc. But I think if you proceed conservatively you will do all right. And I definitely would not get unfilled before a vacation. But I also would not get a fill for several weeks before hand either.

So I didn't get my fill and I'm SO glad I didn't!!! I've had adequate restriction since surgery and I feel good. I actually had one incident of sliming/throwing up because of a "not so greatly" chewed Triscuit..I learned my lesson!!

I upped my exercise and have lost 2 lbs..(only 3oz away from 20lbs..UGH)

Thanks for all the great info, I know I made the best decision for me!!:w00t:

Good for you! The best thing we can do for ourselves is to make informed decisions regarding our care, and that's what you did! And don't worry, you'll be past the 20 pound mark in no time. :w00t:

Misty,

Thanks for the great advice and encouragement..I REALLY appreciate it! And of course, this morning I am only 1.5 oz away from 20lbs...I'm almost there..:)

I decided to make "little" goals instead of the ultimate, which I hope is more attainable. After I lose the 20 (that number is haunting me :w00t:) my next mini goal is 25, which I'm hoping to hit by St. Patrick's Day, then my April Fool's day goal which I'm certain I can swing! Anyway, thanks so much all, you rock!

I was banded 1/22, prior to my 1st fill ( 4 weeks post) , I was HUNGRY, wanting to snack between meals and forcing myself to eat less at each meal ( no sense of restriction). Had my 1st fill last week and realize that it was probably not enough. There is no sensation of restriction, so I guess everyone is different. I get another at 8 weeks post, so maybe that will do the trick. Take care and hope that the hunger doesn't get you, it's good to see that we can all meet at our destinations by taking very different routes!:smile:

I was banded 1/22, prior to my 1st fill ( 4 weeks post) , I was HUNGRY, wanting to snack between meals and forcing myself to eat less at each meal ( no sense of restriction). Had my 1st fill last week and realize that it was probably not enough. There is no sensation of restriction, so I guess everyone is different. I get another at 8 weeks post, so maybe that will do the trick. Take care and hope that the hunger doesn't get you, it's good to see that we can all meet at our destinations by taking very different routes!:smile:

Isn't that the truth! I cannot believe you have to wait another 8 weeks until you can get another fill, especially since you're not feeling any restriction. I might contact my Dr. and see if he/she's willing to be more aggressive. I've been very lucky as I have no appetite at all for the most part. I drink my Protein Shake, eat lunch, walk and don't eat too much dinner. The only time I get hunger pains is when I ate an early lunch and no dinner, then I rely on will power. But in general I have no hunger at all (knocks on wood). Best of luck to all, and thanks again!

GREAT advice, thank you to everyone who replied, I REALLY appreciate it. That being said, my husband and I have discussed all the comments and other things. We are going to Disney World in May, and I want to be unfilled before we go. The last thing I need to worry about is being too restricted while constantly on the go (at least my thought..any advice on this?). So, I am going to get the smallest fill possible on Tuesday and see how my body reacts. I really want to lose as much weight as I can before we go (May 24th) and I think by getting filled (a little at a time) I will lose faster.

I'm also curious to see if my body reacts well and quickly to this fill. I keep going back and forth on this and have until Tuesday to officially decide...although right now the decision is to get the fill...ugh..sorry to be so indecisive..but I am a woman...LOL :smile:

Hi! I got banded on January 6th, 2009. I still haven't had a fill and will only get getting on on March 9th. However, I have just returned from a 1 week trip to Walt Disney World, and although I have not lost any weight, I have not gained any either....we walked sooo much...at least 3-5 miles every day, which is alot for me. And we were on the Deluxe dining plan (I had already paid for it 1 year ago!). We ate alot...but since we walked so much, there was no damage done. There were plenty of choices to eat for bandsters. They also have alot of low calory food options, and can even make special meals if you have specific requirement. I have also read that if you show them your Lapband card, they will allow you to eat from the kid's menu if you want.

Hi! I got banded on January 6th, 2009. I still haven't had a fill and will only get getting on on March 9th. However, I have just returned from a 1 week trip to Walt Disney World, and although I have not lost any weight, I have not gained any either....we walked sooo much...at least 3-5 miles every day, which is alot for me. And we were on the Deluxe dining plan (I had already paid for it 1 year ago!). We ate alot...but since we walked so much, there was no damage done. There were plenty of choices to eat for bandsters. They also have alot of low calory food options, and can even make special meals if you have specific requirement. I have also read that if you show them your Lapband card, they will allow you to eat from the kid's menu if you want.

GREAT idea! I'm off to call my doctor and get the card. OMG, kids meals are even huge @ WDW! I've been to WDW many times and am WELL aware how amazing the dining plans are (although I've never sprung for the deluxe dining plan..very jealous:tongue_smilie:). We have a 1br villa with a full kitchen that I'm hoping will help with my dining options. I know what you mean about walking there, it's GREAT to get in our cardio while on vacation :smile: Thanks for the post!