Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Solid Food Guidelines - please help

Ok, here's the thing....

I was given the following advice on what to eat, and this only, : dont snack, no liquid calories, dont drink with meals, and a basic low fat eating guide (2-veg, 1-fruit, 3-carb, 1-protein, 0-dairy and 3-fat serves daily). I will have no help from a nutritionist unless I go and find one myself, which I probably can't do because their wont be one around here (I live in a very remote area of Australia).

What do you guys make of this? By your posts it seems that you have a much greater focus on getting your Protein and avoiding carbs. I would prefer to have a low sugar, low GI (carbs), moderate protein, low preservative and artifical sweetners, moderate healthy fats, some low fat/low sugar dairy, and fruit & veg juices sort of plan. I have a Protein Powder with aminos, basic multi-vit, silicea, and plan to also include some essential enzymes and Probiotics.

Does this sound reasonable? Anything you think I need to be aware of would be most helpful. Thankyou ;-)

I'm in Australia too and the dietary guidelines I've read about here seem a little different to me too Loopylou. I think we must have a lot more focus on fruit and veg here in Australia and the high Protein diet is a little less common. I've got a friend who was banded about 2 months ago and she's been told pretty much what you describe.

I think basically our Australian way of eating is healthy and that you'd do pretty well to eat what you consider a normal diet in much smaller proportions - ie. a small piece of Protein, a small serve of starch and half the plate vegetables for a main meal, a salad with some protein for lunch and good quality Cereal and fruit for Breakfast, with fruit as Snacks.

You shouldn't drink 1/2 hour before and after meals. Some say an hour after. My nutritionist says to eat 3oz Protein and 1oz veggie or fruit per meal. No snacks-- yeah right. I usually have a high protein snack around 3 or 4pm. Holds me over to dinner. Protein Shakes are fine, but you need to watch your calories. You should only be around 800-1000 a day. With shakes you're just ingesting calories and they don't fill you up. meat and cheese w/ a few crackers is a much better choice. Protein is definetly the clencher. This will cause you to lose the wieght much quicker and be much fuller. I would avoid fruit juices--empty calories. Good luck!

Thanks for your response Heather, but 800cals? Please tell me you are not serious!? I will not be having a fill for 3-6 months due to complications with surgery and atm I can eat almost anything, how can I possibly stick to 800? Especially when I couldn't stick to 2000 pre band??

800 is low, 1200-1500 calories is closer to the range according to all my research, and my nutrishionist backs that up. Of course, your milage may vary. You need to make sure you are getting in enough calories so you don't shut down your metabolism. many poeple report that once they kick their intate to around 1200 range that their loss is faster. I know this is the case for me.

zero dairy? Really? How do you get your Calcium?

even before I got my first fill I had restriction, so it may be that you will have some moderate restriction. Sorry about your complications and hoping you have a speedy recovery.

I am allowed small amounts of skim milk in tea and coffee, but other than that milk and yoghurt are consider 'liquid calories' and cheese too high in fat, nothing was mentioned about low-fat cheese. I think they assume I would know to take a calcuim tablet but they never said so. Is Protein really so important? I have been vegan before and never had problem with my hair falling out - I would have thought that was lack of nutrients not lack of protein.

Protein does not have to consist of meat. There is protein in plenty of foods. eggs, milk, bread, Protein Bars, Beans etc. Just try to get in 60 grams a day. I have no problem w/ 800 calories a day. I do 200 at each meal and have 2 70-100 calorie Snacks a day. Your body is not like it is before. You don't need the calories like a full size stomach person. I was told that your body will use up the excess fat it has already stored. Once you are at your wieght to stay I can see upping to 1200 or so. But, you would be suprized how full you can get on 800 calories with the right food choices. If you need 1200 a day, I'm sure you would be okay. But for me, I'm going to follow my doctor and nutritionists orders. It's working so far, and I'm sure what you choose will work for you. Just listen to your body-- everyone is different.