Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What you eat on an average day?

Hey Guys,

Was reading a post on the Post-Op forum about what people eat on an average day and I found it very useful to know what to expect! I am one week post - op and always curious about my future. Because the majority of responses were from America is was hard to relate to what they were eating eg 'refried beans'!!! If anyone feels like sharing what they eat that would be great to get some new ideas!

Today I had: (on a Fluid diet)

Breakfast: 3/4 cup pureed pea and ham Soup

Lunch: Necturine fruit smoothie (small)

Dinner: 3/4 cup field mushroom Soup (Campbell's)

3 glasses diet cordial

Hope you guys can make use of this thread :thumbup: :)

Em x

HI, I am in New Zealand and it appears we had our surgery same day and I was 125kg:biggrin:

I pretty much had been eating what you have but would add then Iwould maybe have a Protein smoothie or ready made Protein Drink in the evening.

I am drinking about 1.5 litre of Water and also half cup prune juice.< /p>

I carry the water everywhere I go.

I am on the second week which is thicker but smooth, next week is mushy and 4th week soft food.

some days find I am hungry and dr suggested I eat 6 small amounts per day, 1/2 cup portions but along as I was also including protein.

Had first check up and everything seems to be going ok:thumbup:

I wish I could tell you what I eat is the "right" diet but realistically this is what I eat. I am a year post op so am on solids.

Today I ate:

Breakfast-tea with splenda and lite milk

Lunch- Velish pumpkin Soup

Snack-Watermelon

Dinner-chicken fillet (small) and some grilled eggplant and capsicum.

Snack-Watermelon (kinda addicted at the moment!!)

I am by NO MEANS perfect at this and slip all the time but just remember you are human-the band assists not cures any bad eating habits. You need to deal with the mental struggle of overeating more than anything I have found but its an interesting life!:)

Good Luck!!!

Hey Tiare, my doc said the same about 6 small meals but i thought because in 2 weeks i will have to have 3 small meals i would start off now! I had some issues with Protein so made some home made soups! I keep forgetting the bottle of Water, we have had 45 degree temps since i was out of hospital and really should be looking after myself! I dont have a check up til the 27th of this month seems like a long time hey!

Teeny83 - Do you think what you are eating is good / bad? From reading the other postings i mentioned you are eating not too much but everyone is different as to what they can tolerate. That Velish Soup is devine :) How have you gone in your first year?

Normally some sort of Cereal for Breakfast - rolled oats or organic muesli, maybe poached eggs, maybe a piece of toast and vegemite. Try to eat some fruit too.

lunch is often a salad of some kind - i tend to make big salads at the weekend that last through a few days, fancier things like broccoli, feta and hazelnut, asian noodle slaw, stuff like that. I can eat bread, so sometimes I'll have half of a tuna and salad sandwich, occasionally on the weekend I'll enjoy a pie and sauce! I do dinner leftovers too.

dinner is the family meal - basic meat and 3 veg fare usually.

Hi there, My dietitian recommends after the puree phase i.e. Week 3 and 4 post op, the following:-

Breakfast: Half weetbix or quarter cup Cereal made mushy with milk or half cup thick fruit puree.

Mid-morning: 1 piece of fruit blended up to a thick but not juicy texture.

Lunch: bowl containing half cup blended chicken (or meat or seafood or legume), rice or Pasta and veges. (do not use fats or oils in cooking).

Mid-afternoon: Half tub yoghurt or low fat fruche or half cup of fruit blended with milk powder.

Tea: As for lunch

Supper: 1 piece of fresh fruit blended up or a snack pack of crushed canned fruit.

If genuinely hungry before next snack due then use slightly thicker blends.

Drink Extra fluids - not fizzy drinks.

Wait at least 30 minutes after your meal before you drink any liquids otherwise you might get hungry. Drink no closer than 10minutes before your meal.

I'm still sipping liquids for few more days yet.

Joy

Edited by joyoc51
spelling

I am on the liquid phase, day 3. Today I had:

100ml Up n Go

1/2 cup of chicken noodle Soup (blended thoroughly!)

1/3 of a small Wendy's banana smoothy (took me the whole of the "Australia" movie to get through that much!)

3/4 cup of laksa broth

500ml of apple juice

500ml of "Smart Water" (juice and smart Water sipped over the day/night)

It looks like that was a lot compare to what some people above are having :S I really need to switch over from juice and expensive cordial to water!

Hey Guys! Thanks for you responses they have helped me a lot! For those on the liquid diet we seem to be pretty much on par!

Jachut - You look beautiful :thumbup: Well done, your diet looks very balanced! Gives me something to look forward to! My family is looking forward to my mushies stage so i can eat some of what they are having they tend to feel sorry for myself but hey whats 2 weeks out of my life to enjoy Soup?

Joy - Its good to get some fruit in, a lot of people dont seem to be, Im not a hufe fruit eater but its good to have something a little sweet! How are you coping on the liquid stage?

Leah - How you feeling after surgery? You had Dr. Bessel right? Hope all is going well! At the moment I got told to have juice etc but I looked at the nutrition in it and changed to diet cordial (Cottee's Pine Lime and Apple Raspberry are great) also Water and Liption Light Peach Tea 4calories per serve!)

Any other responses would be great!!! This has helped me and hopefully more people to come!! Have a good weekend x

Yep, I was banded by Dr Bessell. I am not feeling too bad today - I still have shoulder tip pain, but only when sitting in certain positions - usually when sitting straight, so my posture is copping a beating!

I do still have some uncomfortableness - its not so much pain - in my stomach area. I can tell where my port is as that is a little more tender than else where.

Good idea with the iced tea - I love peach iced tea. I'll get some of that today!

Well guys now I am mushy foods and enjoying it! I cooked up a storm the last few days of satay chicken, butter chicken, shephards pie and chilli con carne and pureeed them all then packaged them into portion sizes so now on an average day i have:

Morning: 150g yogurt

Lunch: Shephards Pie and Mashed Potato (1/2-3/4 cup)

Dinner: Butter Chicken and Mashed pumpkin and Sweet Potato (1/2-3/4 cup)

Get a little hungry in between but usually drink my diet cordial to get through! Thanks all for your replies!

Em x

Hi i am almost 6 months out now. I eat i guess pretty much normal foods. like i did before, just not the same amounts. i pretty well now just eat off a bread and butter plate, and i find most times that satisfys me.

For Breakfast i eat things like rolled oats, or poached egg on toast. or it could be friut and yogurt, what ever i feel like.

lunch is usually a salad of some discription, and at the moment i am really into ones made with this really nice and easy low fat dressing, It is basically.

1/4 c white vinegar

1/4 cup of equall sugar ( not packed tight) or splenda

a few drops of sesame seed oil, no more than 1 tsp total

1/4 c Water

2 tbs soy sauce.

pinch of salt

and that is it. put it into a shaker, and shake it very well. I

also add some small diced fresh chilli, and i love a bit of bite,

I tend to chop the vegies very small into it, as though making a salsa. some of the things i add are as follows, just to give you some ideas.

2x fresh truss tomatoes

1/2 avacardo

1/4 spanish onion finely diced

1/2 cobb of fresh corn I shave them off the cobb with a sharp knife.

bunch of asian salad greens, or lettuce what ever you like, also chopped

good handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped.

1/4 red capsicum

1/4 green capsicum or yellow what every i have on hand

3-4 button mushrooms

1/2 lebanese cucumber diced small

i also add a good handfull of mixed sunflower and sesame seeds. just before adding the dressing.

I find this goes really well with grilled fish or chicken. or some times i will have it just by itself with some cut up egg or shaved ham for the Protein.

I hope you guys enjoy. also i make it up and there is always some left over for the next day. it tastes just as good as left overs.

cheers.

Edited by bindi2203
left out measurement