Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I posted this in my blog, but I want feedback, so I'm going to post it again here. Below is the body of the letter I wrote to my sugeon which is part of his requirement. If any of you have advice, please let me know. I glady accept constructive criticism, and if it sounds good, I don't mind encouragement either. :angry:

I am writing to let you know why I need to have weight loss surgery. I say need and not want deliberately. At my weight I know I am at an increased risk for several serious health problems. The blood work I had done this summer shows that I am dangerously close to having diabetes. My obesity also puts me at risk for heart disease and sleep apnea. The excess weight puts a strain on my lungs, joints, and bones. I have to lose weight if I hope to live a long life.

Having weight loss surgery is not something I take lightly, nor will it be my first attempt at serious weight loss. In the past, I have tried a variety of weight loss methods. These methods have even been met with temporary success. The problem with that success is that it was not lasting. I need to control my weight for good. I have researched various weight loss programs and different surgical weight loss procedures. I feel that having the Lap Band surgery will allow me to not only lose the weight but to also maintain the weight loss. I do not expect it to be a miracle. I realize that it will require hard work and determination on my part. It will require a life long change, and I am ready to make that change.

While I would be lying to say that the aesthetic appeal of losing weight doesn’t motivate me, I will say that it is not my primary motivation. I do not want to be a new me; I want to be a healthier me. I do not expect to drop pounds overnight, nor do I expect to become skinny. I do expect to become a healthier person and live a healthier lifestyle for the remainder of what I hope will be a long life. Thank you for considering me for this life changing procedure.

Okay, so whatcha think?

Oh, yeah...I should mention I haven't sent it yet...thus, the request for feedback...

I think your letter sounds great and well constructed. Is your surgeon really selective? Do you think he will really turn you down based on your letter?

I posted this in my blog, but I want feedback, so I'm going to post it again here. Below is the body of the letter I wrote to my sugeon which is part of his requirement. If any of you have advice, please let me know. I glady accept constructive criticism, and if it sounds good, I don't mind encouragement either. :angry:

I am writing to let you know why I need to have weight loss surgery. I say need and not want deliberately. At my weight I know I am at an increased risk for several serious health problems. The blood work I had done this summer shows that I am dangerously close to having diabetes. My obesity also puts me at risk for heart disease and sleep apnea. The excess weight puts a strain on my lungs, joints, and bones. I have to lose weight if I hope to live a long life.

Having weight loss surgery is not something I take lightly, nor will it be my first attempt at serious weight loss. In the past, I have tried a variety of weight loss methods. These methods have even been met with temporary success. The problem with that success is that it was not lasting. I need to control my weight for good. I have researched various weight loss programs and different surgical weight loss procedures. I feel that having the Lap Band surgery will allow me to not only lose the weight but to also maintain the weight loss. I do not expect it to be a miracle. I realize that it will require hard work and determination on my part. It will require a life long change, and I am ready to make that change.

While I would be lying to say that the aesthetic appeal of losing weight doesn’t motivate me, I will say that it is not my primary motivation. I do not want to be a new me; I want to be a healthier me. I do not expect to drop pounds overnight, nor do I expect to become skinny. I do expect to become a healthier person and live a healthier lifestyle for the remainder of what I hope will be a long life. Thank you for considering me for this life changing procedure.

Okay, so whatcha think?

Eloquent and put together well. Thumbs up.

Sounds great. The only thing I might suggest is instead of just

"In the past, I have tried a variety of weight loss methods"

Specifically list those programs you've tried and maybe even your success and regain? Just a thought. Best of luck to you!

Sounds great. The only thing I might suggest is instead of just

"In the past, I have tried a variety of weight loss methods"

Specifically list those programs you've tried and maybe even your success and regain? Just a thought. Best of luck to you!

That's what I was going to suggest. Maybe add a separate sheet listing as many weight loss tries you have tried over the years (include how much you lost and gained back each time). That will only help you also get approved by your insurance (if that is one of their requirements). It probably doesn't hurt to get a letter of support from your primary care physician also.

Even without a letter of support, your letter sounds great anyway :angry:.

Thanks to all for your input. I don't know if he would turn me down based on my letter, but I am required to write one. That much I know.

The reason I didn't include specifics about my past weight loss methods is that I had to list all of that very specifically in the paperwork for him. However, after I REread the instructions for writing the letter and your advice, I think I should detail them again. Also, my instructions indicated that I sould also include a statement of my willingness to comply with post surgery instructions and lifestyle changes. So, I will be revising this in a while.

Again, thanks for the input. I want everything to go well, so I'm willing to take any pointers y'all have to give.