Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think some folks are banded too soon for their own good?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think some folks are banded too soon for their own good?

• I also see a link between problems and fast banders
    • No, fast or slow, everyone seems to have the same problems
    • The people who had to wait longest for the band seem to have better results
    • I see no difference in people's weight loss based on wait time

This should piss some people off but that is not my intent. Best case scenario it becomes a spirited discussion of the merits of waiting. Worse case, those offended will rant at me for a while and I won't miss a wink of sleep over it. This is dedicated to all of you pre-banders out there who get discouraged, frustrated about the time it takes to finally get to band land, whether it be due to insurance or pre-op diets or any reason that causes you to take more time than you originally hoped for a band date.

So.........have you noticed that the people with the most problems, slowest weight loss, slippages, pb's, complications, etc. are the people who went from seminar to surgery relatively quickly as opposed to those who for whatever reason had to wait 8 months to a year.

I personally am using the time to learn. I will not be posting a thread in the future asking what is PB after I'm banded. First and foremost I am GETTING MY MIND RIGHT! for the changes I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR!

I don't think it's how fast you do or do not get banded. I think it's how well informed you are and how much homework you took the time to do. And weather or not you are truely ready to make the life style change.

I don't think it's how fast you do or do not get banded. I think it's how well informed you are and how much homework you took the time to do. And weather or not you are truely ready to make the life style change.

I'll buy that. You are absolutely right. I am suggesting that quick banders FOR THE MOST PART did not in fact do as much homework and did not really know that they still have to work to get results

That's interesting! One of the voters who voted they see no difference has posted threads that speak to exactly what I'm talking about I quote "Why didn't anyone tell me?"

I don't know.. would I be a fast bander or a slow band? I decided to do this in 4/06, found out I was pregnant in 5/06. Called and talked to the surgeon who said they would like me to wait until the baby was 2 before i did the surgery. I was banded on 12/29/08, a ljust over a month before the baby turns 2.

I do think education has alot to do with it. I took the classes the dr office offered. But I still had questions. Some I got answered here online, others I got answered other places online. I thought I knew what I needed to know, but I don't think one knows all the questions to ask before. Could I have been better informed.. prolly.

I think support after plays a big role in ones success as well.

There definitely has been an increase in the amount of posts regarding things that you would think folks would know had they of done their homework. In my humble opinion i think we are seeing alot of the "quick fix syndrom". People rushing into surgery thinking they are going to wake up with something that is going to make them thin without having to put forth any effort.

More interesting still.... Another voter who sees no difference in weight loss per their vote was banded quickly and identifies themselves as a "slow loser"

There definitely has been an increase in the amount of posts regarding things that you would think folks would know had they of done their homework. In my humble opinion i think we are seeing alot of the "quick fix syndrom". People rushing into surgery thinking they are going to wake up with something that is going to make them thin without having to put forth any effort.

I agree, congrats on your achievement and hard work.

Another voter for 'I see no difference' by a quick bander with marginal weight loss, also notably a self pay who mentions often that they received very little information pre band

Another vote for 'I see no difference' by someone whose first post was to announce a band date a week later. I am starting to see a trend, I may have hit a sore spot with people who are living in The Nile river

Another 'I see no difference' by a self pay, fast bander with marginal results

Come on folks, can't you see what I'm seeing? Chime in

I do believe some people rushed into it without learning all the facts, but because they didn't learn the facts isn't the reason they would have trouble with the band. They may not have known those problems existed, but it isn't the cause. Also, some doctors do not give all the facts, such as band sizes, complications, pb'ing etc. I learned most of what I know from this website and from chatting and getting to know people. My doctor didn't know what pb'ing was. I had my surgery within 4 mos and have had no complications and I am out 14 mos. now. I am a slow loser and not due to lack of education and information. The band helps Portion Control, not metabolism so I have to deal with that. I think your theory may be correct in some cases, but not in all. Everyone should do their homework and get to know the band so when complications do arise they know how to deal with it.

I do believe some people rushed into it without learning all the facts, but because they didn't learn the facts isn't the reason they would have trouble with the band. They may not have known those problems existed, but it isn't the cause. Also, some doctors do not give all the facts, such as band sizes, complications, pb'ing etc. I learned most of what I know from this website and from chatting and getting to know people. My doctor didn't know what pb'ing was. I had my surgery within 4 mos and have had no complications and I am out 14 mos. now. I am a slow loser and not due to lack of education and information. The band helps Portion Control, not metabolism so I have to deal with that. I think your theory may be correct in some cases, but not in all. Everyone should do their homework and get to know the band so when complications do arise they know how to deal with it.

"I do believe some people rushed into it without learning all the facts, but because they didn't learn the facts isn't the reason they would have trouble with the band. They may not have known those problems existed, but it isn't the cause"

This statement is at odds with itself. Are you saying they should have known or that they didn't have an opportunity to learn or that the doctors are to blame?

I am real newbie and do want to know what PB is? Excuse my ignorance! I am reading everything I can, but have still not come across an answer to this.

Thanks!

Edited by sam1am

I just voted in the poll and chose 'I also see a link between problems and fast banders'.

Previously I had started a thread in the 'Rants and Raves' board kindof along the same vein as this. I was having a bad day and had read a post from a woman who had been banded a few days before and was on here whining and asking some silly question about eating after surgery. I can't remember exactly what it was but it was certainly something that in my opinion ~EVERY~ bandster should know....if they had attempted to learn about banding beforehand.

Anyhow...I'm not looking to start anything either :angry: I personally was a fast bandster. My first phone call was Oct. 15th, surgeon consult Oct. 30th and surgery Nov. 16th. But I spent that month reading ~EVERYTHING~ I could find about banding and living by the bandster 'rules'. I lost 100 lbs in the first year after banding and have maintained it for a year (I was banded in '06) I was successful because I educated myself.

I personally feel that sometimes peoples ignorance of the banding process (before and after) is only partially their own fault. I think that especially for those who are self-pay (like myself) we can rush thru the process very quickly and I believe in that case it is also partially the responsibility of the surgeon/clinic to make sure their patients are educated.

Patricia