Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you go emotionally afterwards?

Yes, the screw this part of the diet is where I come unstuck too. I know I can lose 10kg, I've done it a million times. But honestly, I feel like I've had somewhat of an ephiphany these last few days - and I've suddenly reached the point where I feel ready to let go of what's been holding me back.

What I've realised from all my reserch too is that people still get to that point, they have a physical restriction that prevents them regaining so much weight, but they still struggle with these issues. Its my head I feel I need to fix, not my body.

I rang my health fund, they cover it when its medically necessary according to the surgeon. No messing around substantiating it. I've been to the GP for my blood results, my cholesterol is a healthy 4.5, my blood pressure a perfect 120/70 this morning, no sign of diabetes, thyroid problems or any of that stuff. I'm in better shape than I was a year ago and 10kg lighter, thanks to an overall improvement in diet, if not calorie intake. My only problem is my foot which the physio has just discovered now that they've got the swelling down enough to do an ultrasound exam, is adhesions caused by previous heel surgery 20 years ago. Not due to my weight at all, but certainly aggravated by it.

On top of that AF has arrived (no doubt why I was so desperate about this last week) and on top of the kilo or so I've lost this morning, I know that means I'll also be another 2kg lighter tomorrow morning. That puts me fair and square at a BMI of 34. So I rang the surgeon's office and explained the situation, his secretary let me actually speak to him, his verbal advice was that no matter what my dieting and weight history, his policy is BMI 40+ unless there's sigificant comorbidities, which I thankfully do not have.

So peoples Im going to have to go it alone. I feel very relieved and I feel like I've really considered this from angles I've never viewed before. I've had a glimpse of what old age might be like too and I think I've had that mentality of being invincible shaken out of me. I've also got solid evidence that a change for the better in diet does affect your health positively.

I've also sat my husband down and given him a stern talking to (which was really directed at myself, he's never been anything but supportive). I've told him what I need to do and that I'm going to do it regardless of anyone else. I need the time to dedicate to myself, I"ve spent the last 10 years in baby and child mode and I need some time out and he's going to have to pick up the slack. I really need to find permission within myself to do this for me, that's the hardest part.

Some honest soul searching has told me that I've never really had a problem with hunger, its disorganisation, lack of time, lack of care for myself, stress, boredom and lack of direction and paying absolutely no attention to what I'm eating that's led me to this position. A band wont solve any of those things for me. I dont want to be thin and still have those problems. I feel like I want to work on those things and the weight will follow, not the other way round, kwim?

Good luck everybody and thanks so much to listening to the ins and outs of my personal decision over the last week. I may be back in six months of course, but hopefully I wont be. Most likely I'll get a bit of weight off, feel better and slack off a bit, but I'm actually having trouble staying this fat at the moment, lol.

Jachut you still havent made up your mind!! LOL...its a hard decision!!

Are you seeing the surgeon next week?

It is - what I said there a few weeks back I still believe, only I've come back round to thinking a band will help me achieve all of that, not be an easy way out. I think its the reality check of fine, I may lose weight and I may lose a lot but will I keep it off. I honestly dont know anybody who has lots a lot of weight and kept it off!

I do feel like if I dont go ahead, I've learned a lot about losing weight that I hadnt realised before. But I've also learned that particular surgeon has his own opinion which aint necessarily shared by other surgeons. So I'm going to see someone else.

But I have lost 5kg!!!! Yay :-)

5kgs thats great...keep it up

yeah see what the other surgeon says.

how much wieght do you have to lose?

Your BMI seems to be in a nice range

I wish mine was that!!

I'm 107kg now at 5ft 10 so I've slipped down to 34. Doug has a set of dumbells, I could hide the 3kg weights in my jeans pockets, what do you reckon? (just joking, lol).

I'm losing it fine but its the same old story, get a bit off, get away from panic weight, start to feel better and the motivation just goes out the window. There is no way I've got the strength for the long haul all the way down to 70kg or so without help. That said though, I'd be thrilled to get back to 80, something that once seemed massively fat to me.

Big day for me will be when i pass under 90kg though - I will cease to be obese. Boy how I hate that word. I will just be overweight then.

Emotions we all have them, we all live by them and some of us eat by them! Qustion

do we eat because we are hungery Or by choice?

Deep down most of us at some point just ate because we knew deep down we would feel better after ward, quick fix.....but going back to Emotions we are searching for some thing maybe a pat on the back a good job whatever just a need to feel wanted?

well I refuse to let my Emotions tell me how I am going to eat!

well what ever you deside good luck with your weight loss goals. God bless!

geez my BMI is 45 and my weight is 113kg. Im 159cm tall dunno what that is in feet!!

Is thAt the diff between our BMIS??

we are only 6kg apart but your BMI is 11 less than mine!!

I dont understand why.

Do you know why that would be?

It's because I'm so much taller than you - my ideal weight will be lots higher than yours too - at 159 cms yours will be down in the 50 kg's I'd imagine, mine is about 75kgs.

Same amount of weight spread out over a much longer body. 110kgs is about 30-40 kgs overweight for me, 50 + kgs overweight for you, kwim?

I'd also have more weight in bone, muscle mass etc.

But BMI is not that accurate either by the way - it doesnt really take into account how muscular (or not) you may be. If you have lots of muscle you will weigh more than someone with less, but not be fatter.