Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Garth Davis- Houston, TX

Has anyone used Dr. Garth Davis in Houston, TX. I am going for my surgery consult next week and was just curious. Thanks.

I have read about him on this forum all of which is positive. Plus, I have seen him on his show, Big Medicine. He appears very thourough and involved with his patients.

Do you have a list of questions already drafted for him?

A few yes. I am a little unsure of which procedure to have. After going to the seminar and hearing the father- Dr. Robert Davis speak I can tell they trully prefer the Rout-en-y bypass over the lap band. I am just unsure I guess. I am 28 - 5'4" and about 252 lbs currently. Any feedback would be great.

Katie

A few yes. I am a little unsure of which procedure to have. After going to the seminar and hearing the father- Dr. Robert Davis speak I can tell they trully prefer the Rout-en-y bypass over the lap band. I am just unsure I guess. I am 28 - 5'4" and about 252 lbs currently. Any feedback would be great.

Katie

I am 5'5", 44, and weighed 253 when I started. I was on the fence with both procedures. I gave a lot of thought to both WLS that I was interested in. After careful research, reviewing medical journal studies pertaining to WLS, and after discussion with my doctor, I decided to proceed with banding.

Perhaps, when you meet with Dr. Davis and hear his feedback and you present your concerns, together you will decide what is best for you. It is a difficult decision I know. You only want to have one WLS in your life time, so you want to make the appropriate choice for you.

I know that Dr. Davis has his patients best interest at heart, so I know that both of you together will decide what is best.

But don't forget you are in control of your health. If you believe one procedure is better suited for you and your doctor does not, then ask for his reasons. If those reasons are unclear or leave you with unresolved questions or uncertainty, then get a second opinion.

You have the Power to make the decision. Best regards with your journey!

Katie

Perhaps they prefer RNY for their patients, BUT when it came time to do WLS for their own sister/daughter, they chose the LapBand. I find that extremely interesting!

Hi, I was wondering how things are going for you w/Dr. Davis office. I have been to the first consult, I want to get the lap-band surgery. I wanted to ask you if you have been to his office yet? I finished all my psych & nutrition classes and have been approved as of last friday. The only problem is I have called his office and sent an email w/no response. I wonder am I being impatient or being ignored. I am growing a little impatiant and need some feedback. Thanks!!!!!

You are actually farther along in the process that I am. My first consultation appt with Dr. Davis is tomorrow 2/9/2009. From what I've heard his office is very busy and the wait is sometimes long. Still, we get impatient when we're ready to get moving!!!! Hang in there. I'll write more after my appointment tomorrow.

Katie

KatieSue - please share what you go through. I am considering the lapband and Dr. Garth (since he is in network for insurance). I am supposed to go to the free orientation meeting this week.

How long did it take you to get from that point to the consultation?

How far do you live from Houston, TX? I live near Beaumont, TX.

To be honest - I am scare and excited all in one! I never thought I would go through with surgery to lose weight and be healthy, but now at the glimpse of what life could be like one year from now is overwelming. Please don't tell me it is really 2 year away (if you add a year of wait(and weight) time!)

Hi Katie Sue, I'm so excited for you. I finally received a call saying I was approved and that someone will contact me within a week to let me know what the next step is. So I guess within a week I will know my surgery date (crossing my fingers). If you go to University General for your Nutrition visits and Psych you will be very pleased. Kathryn Lito the nutritionist is a sweetheart. They have free valet parking, and the check-in staff is really nice. So far I am so pleased with everything about that hospital. Thanks for the reply, and please let me know how your consult visit goes. Good Luck!

KatieSue - please share what you go through. I am considering the lapband and Dr. Garth (since he is in network for insurance). I am supposed to go to the free orientation meeting this week.

How long did it take you to get from that point to the consultation?

How far do you live from Houston, TX? I live near Beaumont, TX.

To be honest - I am scare and excited all in one! I never thought I would go through with surgery to lose weight and be healthy, but now at the glimpse of what life could be like one year from now is overwelming. Please don't tell me it is really 2 year away (if you add a year of wait(and weight) time!)

I live in Northwest Houston so not too far of a drive for me. Seminar to consultation appointment was about 3 weeks wait time. It gives you time to watch the online required videos, get a letter from your PCP, and call your insurance regarding coverage. I think it would have been 2 weeks but my travel schedule required that I push it one week farther. I'm excited to meet Dr. Garth Davis today. The seminar I attended was given by Dr. Robert Davis but I chose Garth for the surgery thus far. I have Aetna PPO insurance and the in-network doctors are very limited. I've seen the Davis's show on TLC "Big Medicine" so I thought it was fantanstic to learn they are in Houston and Aetna in network doctors. I'll keep you posted on my first impressions. I wish you luck on your journey!!!!

Hi Katie Sue, I'm so excited for you. I finally received a call saying I was approved and that someone will contact me within a week to let me know what the next step is. So I guess within a week I will know my surgery date (crossing my fingers). If you go to University General for your Nutrition visits and Psych you will be very pleased. Kathryn Lito the nutritionist is a sweetheart. They have free valet parking, and the check-in staff is really nice. So far I am so pleased with everything about that hospital. Thanks for the reply, and please let me know how your consult visit goes. Good Luck!

Are you planning on having the surgery at University General as well?? I belive for Aetna both the Methodist and University General are in-network. Also- what do you think of Dr. Davis so far? Did they push the RNY or were they open to the lab band for you?? Thanks.

Are you planning on having the surgery at University General as well?? I belive for Aetna both the Methodist and University General are in-network. Also- what do you think of Dr. Davis so far? Did they push the RNY or were they open to the lab band for you?? Thanks.

Hi Katie Sue,

No Dr. Garth did not push the RNY, I told him I wanted the lap-band and he was very supportive. He said he sees more results with the RNY, but for the amount of weight I have to lose he was comfortable doing the lap-band. I am 5'7 and at the consultation visit weighed 272lbs. I really didnt talk to him very long, my appt was almost a week after hurricane Ike and he mentioned his house still didnt have lights. He seemed in a rush, but I don't want to judge him being without lights for almost a week was probably taking a toll on him. Since that was the first time I met him I'm not for sure what he is really like. I hear mostly positive things about him. Yes I did chose University General. I think his office is really busy, but I guess that means he is a good Dr.

I know insurance can be very specific - but I have Aetna POS. Do you have an idea of the out of pocket cost? I would really like to know if this is a path I can financially afford; or what type of arrangements I may need to make. Believe me, I am not trying to go to the cheapest Dr on the block. But I do want to know what I am getting into.

Hi Waiting4,

I also have Aetna but I have Aetna HMO Feds (my hubby works for the USPS). I am covered 100%, but you need to call your ins co., because I think it depends on what exclusions your job has. Even though we may have the same ins, each employer puts different exclusions. This is what I was told. When you go to dr. Davis office his ins dpt should be able to help, but if I was you I would call the ins myself it's faster than waiting around for them to call you.

I know insurance can be very specific - but I have Aetna POS. Do you have an idea of the out of pocket cost? I would really like to know if this is a path I can financially afford; or what type of arrangements I may need to make. Believe me, I am not trying to go to the cheapest Dr on the block. But I do want to know what I am getting into.

I have Aetna PPO plan. I'm sure of the exact total but I know I have to meet my $250.00 detuctible and then they pay 80% and I pay 20% up to a max out of pocket of $2000.00 for the year. I'm guessing and only guessing to be out of pocket around $1700. I know I'll have the 80% for the surgery plus the anesthesiologist and hospital bill separately from the surgeon. The hospital will often work with payment plans over a six month period so that may ease the burden.