Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Question for Runners

I want to run, and I do jog on the treadmill. I have problems with my back and I notice if I do too much jogging, my back just kills me the next day.

I am not sure how people run without injuring themselves.

I had a lot of sciatic issues, not caused by running, but definitely aggravated by it. To be honest, I just ran in some degree of pain for the first year - I figured I could have less pain (but not no pain) and be fat, or I could have some pain and be fit as well. Same deal with my heel, I just put up with the pain.

Eventually I ended up seeing an acupuncturist, very sceptically I might add. He really worked miracles, but i had to set my half marathon goals aside for a while as I just couldnt seem to run more than about 10k without setting off another flare up of sciatica.

At about that time, I started a new semester at uni, and having completed about half of a physiotherapy degree 20 years ago I have a pretty good anatomical and functional knowledge of the body, so even though I'm doing a teaching degree, I did Functional Human Anatomy as an elective. It got me thinking as we covered lots of stuff about how weak hip muscles can cause feet and knee problems, how complex the shoulder joint is and one small problem can have a whole chain of events etc. Anyway, I really started refreshing my knowledge and decided I needed to strengthen my core a lot more to run injury free.

I have done a ton of work on my core, and in particular my glutes (the most problematic hip muscle usually) and a TON of stretching for the piriformis muscle - which is commonly a culprit with unexplained sciatic pain (I have no disc bulges or problems). Over the course of about 18 months I have become incredibly strong, I can do abdominal tricks that make everyone gasp, lol. My increased glute strength is noticeable as well and lo and behond, my running has improved out of sight. No sign of sciatic pain, my heel (which was a four year long problem and the main reason I got banded) is completely better, it is really surprising how a weak core can affect your body.

To be a good runner, and to be injury free you need your abdominal, lower back and buttock muscles to be very strong and flexible. For women, pregnancy wreaks absolute havoc on this part of your body and most women who have had babies are in serious need of rehabilitation after pregnancy, but we dont push our bodies in general enough to even know we have problems.

That's how I run injury free! And you can do it fat too, but most obese people are also in terrible shape, which is why they get injured. The weight itself is not the whole problem.

I think it took me about 5 months to get to 4 miles. I have been pretty conservative about increasing distance though. That would be the way I would recommend doing it also. However, if you absolutely have to go quicker, pick up one of those running books/magazines and follow their advice on increasing distance. I'm sure they would have a proven plan of attack that takes into account body recovery and such. I'm currently trying to get up to 5 miles a day. Only at about 4.2 right now but am probably going to get to 4.5 any day now. Good Luck!

Hello Runners! I was banded on 1/22/09. Before surgery I was running about 3 miles a day at 255lbs :smile:. I am currently at 229:thumbup:. I havebeen using the Nike+ Running Program with my Ipod. Its a great tool to track your running and after a run it will tell you if ou justhad your fastest mile or your furthest run. It's a real motivator when it doesnt tell you anything. I find that just seeing the chart on the website is a great tool to keep you running everyday to push yourself to daily goals. The site also has a way to set a goal to run more often, faster, so many times ina month. Its a great tool to have in your arsenal.

The only thing is that you need an ipod and then the Running chip ($30). And if you not running in a Nike shoe ( there is a place in the sole of the shoe for the chip to sit in), you might need to get something to attach it to your sneaker (all sporting good stores normally sell them).

Keep it up everyone!!

Oh another things Nike+ has channalges you can sign up for like a 1/2 Marathon that you can do from wherever you are. I have done it twice and at the end they send you a "Finisher Tee" and a Tiffany Key Ring!

:crying: I lost my receiver for my Nike+ :biggrin:

I just want to thank everyone for their posts! I have started following the Couch to 5K podcast by DJBeatsmith and doing well! I can't believe I'm actually running! Thanks everyone!!:)

Running has been so wonderful for me. I used to run with my Marine husband back in my early 20's and then life got busy and I as I got heavier, I left it all behind....... I always loved running - cannot get on the treadmill and be content walking - Anyway, I started running slowly about 4 weeks after my surgery and now I am running 3-4 miles at a session. I ran 3 miles last night in 35:40 and my last 4 miles was at 47:30 - It has been a tremendous help with the weight loss. I went to see my doctor recently for a fill after about a 3 month lapse and he was amazed at the weight loss and commented to me - "nothing takes off the weight like running." I have to agree. Now I know I am hooked because my body craves it and I make time for it whether early in the morning or late at night........I don't want to miss it. All of my knee problems have disappeared and I am getting stronger every day. I would encourage anyone to just start out slow and work your way up!

I think running has not only helped with my weight loss but it's really sculpted my body so it looks much better at this weight than it has in the past.

I have had the urge to start trying a very slow run on the treadmill, but I am afraid to.

Now don't laugh- but when I just walk on the treadmill, I have to hold on because I feel out of balance when I'm not holding on and am afraid of falling. This has made me afraid to even try a slow jog. I keep picturing myself getting tangled in my own feet and wiping out.

Any thoughts?

I think running has not only helped with my weight loss but it's really sculpted my body so it looks much better at this weight than it has in the past.

Oh, this is SO true. People that knock cardio and say it doesnt improve your body just dont get it.

I let myself be swayed eventually into more strength training. It has toned me up a lot. But most of the improvement in my shape has been from running, I just havent found it makes you "skinny fat" (ie. low body weight but also low muscle) like people claim. And the strength training stuff, I struggle to find time for. Lately I have gone back to just running, for up to an hour a day. What happens? Down 3lb and clothes all loose again.

NOTHING burns fat and keeps you thin like running, despite what all the theories say, you just have to do it to be convinced of that.

What speed are you walking? I find some speeds are hard to walk and some are hard to job. With walking, it's hard if it's too fast but with jogging it's hard if it's too slow!

Jachut - I would like to make time for more strength training after tax season is over.....what does a typical work out for you consist of? I have been doing a light "arm" work out - trying to get rid of the turkey neck arms of my - seems to be one of the only things that gives a clue of my 90+ weight loss - everything else has firmed up quite nicely. I agree that it takes more discipline and dedication than just hopping on the treadmill and logging the miles.

You continue to be an inspiration in every post!! :smile2:

I do lots of compound moves - I wouldnt waste the time standing there doing single muscle exercises like bicep curls - it burns hardly any calories for starters and its time you could be spending torching fat by running - just my humble opinion.

I try to make my strength sessions aerobic so I do them circuit style - I mean, why NOT burn stacks of calories at the same time? So I might alternate short runs on the treadmill with sets of squat/shoulder presses with a heavy barbell, lunges, pushups, tricep dips, chest press. I tend to do high rep/lower weight but by lower weight I mean the sort of weight you can lift for 30 reps - my barbell is 45 lb so its not that light - but it doesnt exhaust me to failure in 10 reps. As a woman, you're never going to build that sort of muscle anyway, so why do that sort of weight training? I like lean and toned, I have no real desire for very visible muscles and ultra low body weight.

I do have Jari Love's Ripped series on DVD and those are quite good but although she claims you burn lots of calories, I find them frustrating light on the aerobic stuff but incredibly deceptive on how much strength training they contain - I'm sore today even though I do this regularly! If you need guidance, these are good DVD's. But I still feel I have to have a run that day also.

At the moment my routine tends to be a short 6km run outside in the early morning, go to work for the day and then maybe do a weights DVD 3 afternoons when I get home from teaching. One longer run over 10kms on the weekend.

I have had the urge to start trying a very slow run on the treadmill, but I am afraid to.

Now don't laugh- but when I just walk on the treadmill, I have to hold on because I feel out of balance when I'm not holding on and am afraid of falling. This has made me afraid to even try a slow jog. I keep picturing myself getting tangled in my own feet and wiping out.

Any thoughts?

I, too, have to hold on when I walk. I think of the trainers from the Biggest Loser yelling at her team to let go of the handles, but I just can't. I hoped my balance would improve after losing weight, but it hasn't. I've now lost 100 pounds since surgery and still need to hold on when I walk. However, running is not an issue for me. Granted, I typically only run at a 5.0 to 5.5 pace, but if my arms are pumping forward and backward, they help me move my legs in the same direction. Give it a try by slowly moving up from your walking pace until you're comfortable. I jogged for 30 second intervals at first and had my hands right above the handles. All it takes is one wipeout for you to be nervous. I've been there. I know exactly how that feels!

Give it a try for just a moment. The faster I move, the easier it is for my legs to keep moving and not tangle! Good luck. Keep us posted!!! :smile2:

Thanks Jachut,

I will check those DVDs out. I do find when I am working out with the weights I am bored and wish I was off running.....45 lbs - wow, can say I am anywhere near that strong.... I am at a place where I want to focus on certain areas - which everyone seems to says you can't really do..... my problem areas are the flabby underarms and the saddlebags on the outside of the hip area..... any hope except turning to plastic surgeons!??!! :thumbup: