Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jan 20 surgery-lots of gas and pain!

Hey Everyone,

Just 3 days post op and feeling like crap! I have so much gas and the pain is unbearable!! I have been taking the pain meds right on cue at 4 hrs and then I am fine but wondering how long I am gonna feel this?! The gas is also a big problem! Just alot of air pressure(no smell!) but very uncomfortable until it releases. Also had a hernia repair so I am afraid to push anything out.

Last night woke up in the middle of the night with this incredible pain in my chest like someone was squeezing the life outta me!! help!! Was wondering how long I have to endure this?

I was banded on 1/13 STILL have pains in my shoulders

on and off. BE sure to take you gas x strips 2 at a time EVERY 4 hours! Also alternate putting a heating pad on your upper back and chest while you are sitting watching t.v etc. it will help it pass as I think it must relax you... feels a lot better :tt2: GOOD LUCK

Hey Everyone,

Just 3 days post op and feeling like crap! I have so much gas and the pain is unbearable!! I have been taking the pain meds right on cue at 4 hrs and then I am fine but wondering how long I am gonna feel this?! The gas is also a big problem! Just alot of air pressure(no smell!) but very uncomfortable until it releases. Also had a hernia repair so I am afraid to push anything out.

Last night woke up in the middle of the night with this incredible pain in my chest like someone was squeezing the life outta me!! help!! Was wondering how long I have to endure this?

Just get a fart catheter and be done with it.

What is a fart catheter .. walking ... it will help you get rid of the gas .. more you do .. the more you get out of your system.:tt2:

I was just banded on Monday and feel really good. Something you may need if you are taking the pain meds that frequently is some stool softner, because the pain meds tend to make you consipated. I took milk of magnesia yesterday and I feel that just about all of the gas is gone. Just something that seemed to help me out.

Thanks you guys for the quick responses! I will give all advice a try. I am getting ready to go walk around a bit at the grocery store. Hoping that helps. Also, it will feel good to get out of the house for a bit. Looking forward to feeling better. Follow up appt with doctor is on Monday.

Thanks a bunch!!!

I too am a Jan 20th bander, and started the around the ICU walks that night - it really helped though I thought I'd wake up all the other patients with my burps. Last night I finally was able to pass a fart too - it was fabulous (I feel like an old lady). I wake up every 2 hours, and walk around the hall and kitchen at home, and have been taking the chewable Gas-X pills (the flavors of the strips I didn't like), and I stopped with the pain med, and started liquid Tylenol, which seems to help more than the pain med.

Good luck!

SlimCola & Nfl,

Thanks for the advice as well! I am definitely gonna try the milk of magnesia. And you know, I was wondering if I was able to take any other meds not sooo strong! All I wanna do is get back in the bed! Tylenol sounds great if it will do the job and not make me so drowsy!

Hubby and I went walking around Walmart and it did help some. What a difference a fart could make, huh? Too Funny!!!! :scared2:

Just got home and had a bout of the b.g's(bubble gutts!)

Awww, the things we must go thru to be thin...lol

Keep those encouraging words coming! Best of luck to you all! and also a speedy recovery!

NVR2late,

I commend you from walking at Walmart, I can't imagine walking outside the hospital and home because I have made the loudest burps I would think the whole store would wonder where my manners were ;-) The heating pad behind my shoulder blades at night has helped me sleep, and feels good in the cold north!

I was banded 1/19 and I too feel like walking and just sitting upright makes a difference.

Also, I am COLD. Cold in my fingers and toes.

So far the best I can do is get down 1 protien shake / day for a total of 17g of protien/day. (not where I want to be, but the best I can do for now.)

On a bright note, I am getting my Fluid goal of over 32oz.

Each day I feel better, and I know the weight is falling off me.

I also did the milk of m and it was painful to get the first one out but it felt sooo good once I did. Right now I'm about 50% gas out one end and 50% out the other.

NVR2late,

I commend you from walking at Walmart, I can't imagine walking outside the hospital and home because I have made the loudest burps I would think the whole store would wonder where my manners were ;-) The heating pad behind my shoulder blades at night has helped me sleep, and feels good in the cold north!

Thanks, I think it did me some good. Everyone was right it does help with the pain. I think it helped push everything out! lol. Havent had too many probs with the burping, just the other end!

I was banded 1/19 and I too feel like walking and just sitting upright makes a difference.

Also, I am COLD. Cold in my fingers and toes.

So far the best I can do is get down 1 protien shake / day for a total of 17g of protien/day. (not where I want to be, but the best I can do for now.)

On a bright note, I am getting my Fluid goal of over 32oz.

Each day I feel better, and I know the weight is falling off me.

I also did the milk of m and it was painful to get the first one out but it felt sooo good once I did. Right now I'm about 50% gas out one end and 50% out the other.

Good job on your fluid intake! I myself have been slacking in that area. I need to push that a little harder.

All we can do is take it one day at a time, right?

I so far have ony lost 6-7 lbs. My doc says not to worry too much about losing right now just healing.

Best of luck to you & stay warm! :scared2:

Your doctor has the right idea. Right now, just concentrate on letting your body heal. The weight loss will come. You all are doing great walking and keeping up with your Fluid intake. I found that the walking was the only thing that helped with the gas. Also, I did find that the rapid release Tylenol liquid did seem to help my pain better than the narcotic. It also helped to keep me from getting that sick Constipation. Keep up the good work you guys!