Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

English Muffins Anyone?

Okay so I'm sitting at my desk at work and all of a sudden I smell burnt english muffin:scared2:

then I think mmmm wonder if I can have that:confused:

Anyone had the nerve to try one yet since surgery?

I was banded 5/08 and I tried a thin (not so thin) crust pizza after fill #3 and you couldn't pay me to do that again, so now I'm a little leery!!! (I'm on fill#5 now!)

Thoughts??:thumbup:

If you couldn't handle the pizza, I wouldn't go NEAR the English muffin. Just think about what it may feel like.

I don't even want to try any of that. I have had several instances of foods getting stuck but I am going to do everything to not have things get stuck. Maybe if it is cooked enough there won't be much of a problem. Good luck.

If it is burned it might be crispy enough, but if you think it might be chewy and you still want to try it, take the smallest bites possible and wait a bit between bites. I still have trouble with chewy breads. We had a pizza lunch at work yesterday and my office manager told me about it. She always nudges me to eat because she thinks I am not eating enough, but what I am doing is eating differently, and I think that makes her somewhat uncomfortable because she has a weight issue. If you are all eating the same crap, then everyone can be miserable together.

Anyway I had two small squares (Ledo cuts the pizza that way) but the dough just sat. It didn't get stuck, but it takes a while to go down, and I would just as soon pass in most cases. Shrimp is a little hard, but I love it so I chew it to death and get by. With breads if it is really crispy, or in salads I use fat free croutons. They just disintegrate so they don't get chewy at all, and I like the crunch.

So good luck with the muffin if you decide to try it.

BTW, I am a reformed pizzaholic (I used to work out at Curves, stop at the pizzeria on the way home and pick up a 12-15 pepperoni/onion/green pepper/extra cheese pizza and eat the entire thing. Now I make crustless pizza and it satisfies my craving for pizza. Take a microwavable dish (meal portion size) cover the bottom with 1/3 to 1/2 jar of Homemade Style Ragu pizza sauce, cover that with Hormel Turkey Pepperoni(70% less fat and a Protein source), cover that with your favorite veggies (I use Birdseye Pepper Stir Fry--it consists of 3 color pepper and onion chunks), cover that with Kraft shredded fat free Mozarella or Cheddar. Nuke for 2 minutes on high. Hope you try it. Big change from a 12-15 inch loaded pizza, but it works for me.

Edited by PATCHELTON

I find it so weird that i can eat things that are crunchy like a cracker or crouton but anything like a slice of bread is so painful. Is it because crunchy things get chewed more?

I think it is because the crunchier breads disintegrate better. The softer breads are sticky and gluey.

Thats true...it's probably not worth it!!

I like the idea of the pizza though...I've done close to the same but used a tortilla shell instead and broiled it in the oven for a few minutes, turns out pretty good I must say!!

next time I think I am going to try it in a pan for a min before broiling to give it a little extra crunch :thumbup:

Hey everyone........

I just ate like 3/4 of 1/2 of an english muffin for Breakfast.I really toast the heck out of whatever kind of bread I do try to eat.It was ok but I proceed with caution because I too have had a couple of "sliming" scares when bread was involved.I didn' t realize how addicted to carbs I was but I'm slowly learning there are better filling ,less caloric alternatives out there........My Doc told me some people always will have problems with breads & some kinds of meats,reluctantly I think I may fall in that category.:thumbup:

But these are small sacrifices for a greater end!!:laugh:

Take Care everyone!!

I cannot eat english muffins whether they are toasted or not. It doesn't matter if they are whole wheat or original. Kinda bothers me cause I like them, but don't want the whole stuck thing anymore!:thumbup:

I have not had an English muffin, but I do toast up sliced sourdough bread evry now and then. I have had no issues with it getting stuck.

Its funny you should ask this question because today was the first time I had a toasted english muffin since I've been banded. I had no problems eating it...however, I'm only banded 2 months and I'm not at my "sweet" spot yet, even though I do have restriction. The only bread that has given me a problem so far, and as sad as it is that I will probably NEVER eat it again, was Italian bread! HOLY MOLY, did that hurt--I never want to feel that pain again! I've been able to eat whole grain breads, wraps and even pizza (which was always one of my favorite foods but I rarely eat it anymore) without any issues. I just have to always remember to take small bites and chew.

I had an english muffin just this morning with some turkey bacon. Of course I toasted the heck out of the muffin and cooked the turkey bacon until crispy. I did have a little problem when I started trying to eat it too fast but for the most part I didn't have much of a problem.

I did just realize that I cannot eat steak anymore and that sucks because I LOVE filet mignon :biggrin:... I had some rye bread on a ham sandwich once and it wasn't too bad but I couldn't eat the whole thing. Next time I'll just do half.

one of my favorite pre band treats was toasted english muffin w/LOTS of butter & honey. i've had and EM since, so long as it's toasted well i have no issue. i stay away because they didn't help my figure any - but will have the above treat on occasion and i'm now craving it!!

anyone know of a good high Fiber EM, something you can get at a regular grocery store like meijer? We don't have any whole food or trader joe or specialty stores like that. Would probably be better than a white one. I think I would like to add these to my diet. Could toast half of one like crazy and use to have chicken/tuna salad on. Even an egg and turkey sausage patty for Breakfast, pizza, hmmm, I'm hungry!!!