Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Dec 30- Please answer some questions-HELP

Ok I am so lost- I was banded on dec 30- Did well with the diet for the first week. Only threw up a few times day of surgery after I gothome due to empty tummy and pain med-

My doc says no foods for 3 weeks but I was so hungry that I started them already- When they band you is it filled then? I go back in a week is that when they put the Water in it? I feel so hungry like I dont have anything there and able to eat more then just the cup of food like outlined-

Did it slip? Have I messed it all up from starting solids?

How fast should I be losing weight? I feel like I did this all for nothing becasue I am so weak and couldnt do liquids for week 2-

PLease help- Thanks Denise

I was able to eat regular foods much sooner than you are

but I have learned every doc is different

banded on 12/9 and regular foods on 12/24

I do not think you have hurt your band

I did the same as you and had a fill on wed and nothing was said about the band and they showed me the band

so do not worry

and I still get hungry

Hi Denise, I also was banded Dec 30. Every Doctor is different some are more conservative, and some more liberal. I was told in a couple of days I could have chopped foods, but I also had a educational nurse and dietician that gave me information about protecting the pouch. I stayed on liquids until my first Dr. Appt. which I was told everything going good and could start eating soft foods,, Leave it to me, give me an inch and I'll take a mile. I went to lunch to a Mexican rest. with family and had an enchalada, did ok then later that night ate some meat loaf that was drier and it felt like elephant sitting on my chest for about 3-4 hours. You learn quick what you can't do. I lost 6 lbs my first week, the key is continue to drink your Protein, I have trouble getting my Water in. Restless monkey gave good advice to me that not every one losses right away due to added hydration during surgery. My lap band wasn't filled at surgery, I have an appt Feb 9th for my first fill. Do you have a support group to go to. That also helps. Keep your chin up, drink your protein and water.

Pam

Pam

Thank you for replying- how did they show you the band? How much have you lost--if you dont mind me asking- was it filled at the time of surgery or do the do the first fill at your follow up?

Typically you must stay on liquids (even food liquids) for at least 2 weeks after surgery. By eating solids, you may have put your band at risk of ripping (the stitches and stomach holding your band in place). Tell your doc what you have done and have them check it. Please try to do what you are told. Didn't they tell you about the diet before you went under the knife?

I was banded on the 23rd of Dec and just had my first post-op check up. My Dr. doesn't do the first fill until the 6 week follow up. I stayed on full liquids for two weeks(oatmeal and cream of wheat are out of my diet for a long time after that). I started eating the pureed/mushy foods on Tuesday and that seems to be keeping me full much longer. I am having a hard time getting all of my Protein in. Any suggestions on good powders or drinks?

Yes I was told and in week two in my book you can have some pured foods etc. I am more worried about the throwing up and the fact that I can eat more then told at this stage to feel full- I was worried it had slipped more then anything- But I would think that if I was or had ripped the stitches it would hurt when I ate wouldnt it?

I will talk to me doc for sure but wanted to just find help here /advice sence I am all new to this-

Hi there....you are going to be just fine...but this is what we call Bandster Hell....this is the very difficult part of the journey and you must try and do what the doctor tells you because you don't want to damage your band. Typically as in my case, the band is placed on your stomach in surgery and stitched into place....they do not fill usually (and some people are different) until 6 weeks...this is so healing will take place with your band...so please, please follow the rules. I would imagine your band is not damaged, but pick yourself up, and dust yourself off and follow the liquid diet....this is very, very difficult and it is totally normal that you are very hungry....the band doesn't usually really start working until you get your first fill...and sometimes it takes a couple of fills before you get good restriction....but once it starts working, it is heaven....please take time to heal and follow your doctors orders. Good luck and I promise, promise you, it does get better!

Thank you Lori Ann for you response- I want this to work so bad - thank you again- I will pick myself off and go forward--

If i read this post correctly its saying that you have only had your band for 10 days. Your stomach is still in the healing process from having been operated on. You need to take it easy and let your band heal before you starting eating normal food. Please inform your doctor when you go of what you did so that he can set you on the right path to insure that you wont have any issues down the road. They give us dietary guidelines for a reason and it is up to us to follow them, if your not sure what yours are call your doctor and ask! You made the decision to get banded and its your responsibilty to be informed of how to use and take care of your new tool.

Also, Denise...try to drink things very high in protein..this tends to keep you from feeling so hungry...there are Protein Shakes that are very high in Protein and they really do work....remember, protein keeps you from feeling so hungry!

When people say Protein drinks...what do they mean? Slim Fast is 10g of Protein and 5g of fiber. Is that a good 'protein drink'? Thanks guys.

My Protein Drinks were Isopures and Bullets. Bullets have about 45 grams of protein and Isopure has 40 grams they fill me up and do not give me gas or diarrhea. And they are low carbs.

Ok I am so lost- I was banded on dec 30- Did well with the diet for the first week. Only threw up a few times day of surgery after I gothome due to empty tummy and pain med-

My doc says no foods for 3 weeks but I was so hungry that I started them already- When they band you is it filled then? I go back in a week is that when they put the Water in it? I feel so hungry like I dont have anything there and able to eat more then just the cup of food like outlined-

Did it slip? Have I messed it all up from starting solids?

How fast should I be losing weight? I feel like I did this all for nothing becasue I am so weak and couldnt do liquids for week 2-

PLease help- Thanks Denise

Denise this is really hard and we have all been through it, but seriously follow your doctor's orders. Your stomach is healing from surgery. You cannot have anything solid or mushy digesting in your stomach right now, because your stitches are healing.

I found myself feeling really hungry as well, so I called my doctor and stated so. They allowed me to have yogurt and milk, but that was my doctor's directives for me. So call your doctor. Don't take a chance with your health and don't chance the possibility of your band slipping.