Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this has been talked about a thousand times already but my question is this: I am 10 months post-op and I have very severe left shoulder pain. It's not all the time and it's usually in the afternoon, although I've had it in the morning too. It doesn't always happen after a fill and it can be very random but when it's there it's PAINFUL! I have done about as much research as I can and I've come to the conclusion that it's the phrenic nerve (possibly referred pain). My doctor doesn't know what to do with me and thinks it's odd that I still have shoulder pain as he has concluded it's free air. I have a hard time believing that.

So, does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what kind of doctor I should see or start with to try to fix this? The only relief I get is from narcotics and laying on my left side. :thumbs_up:

I was banded on December 16th and am experiencing neck, jaw & ear pain that my PCP believes is due to the Phrenic nerve having been aggitated during surgery. The pain is so severe at times (especially at night) that I also went to my cardiologist to rule out a heart problem. I'm hoping it subsides soon but when I saw your post about experiencing this pain 10 months post-op, I have to admit - I'm a little discouraged.

If you look under the "lap-band complications" forum I think you'll find that many, many people have and are experiencing the same symptoms that we are. I only wish it had been communicated to me prior to surgery.

akindofmagic-Don't be discourgaged! Don't get me wrong, I'm SO glad to have my band. I'm just irritated with this shoulder pain and everyone that doesn't know what it's like looks at me like I'm a freak! I am also glad to know that others are having the same problem but I wish there was something that could be done--a nerve block?? :thumbs_up: Something would be better than nothing! Hang in there and at least your doc has some sort of idea!

Mine hurt for a while post op, especially when I exerted myself and had to breathe more deeply. Have you noticed if it happens more, say, after you eat or maybe eat too much? I'm wondering if maybe somehow your band or port/tubing may be occasionally irritating your diaphragm?

When it happens have you tried having someone rub your neck and shoulder (like getting a massage)?

I was banded on 9/22 and developed the usual left shoulder pain that went away in a couple of weeks. Then on the day of and after I got my first fill (11/11) it started again (coincidence?) and has been off and on since. Like you, when it hurts, it is really painful and certain positions (lying reclined) make it more painful. I have an appt. next week with my surgeon but I guarantee he won't know what it is and will just "guess" like most doctors and offer no solutions - probably just a wait and see attitude. Also, when I told him I had pain in my left shoulder after surgery - he said it is usually the right. I haven't seen one post where the person said it was right shoulder pain. Plus I've done research that says it is the left shoulder. Anyway, if I get no answers from him, I will go to my family doctor who is very good at getting to the bottom of problems.

I know this has been talked about a thousand times already but my question is this: I am 10 months post-op and I have very severe left shoulder pain. It's not all the time and it's usually in the afternoon, although I've had it in the morning too. It doesn't always happen after a fill and it can be very random but when it's there it's PAINFUL! I have done about as much research as I can and I've come to the conclusion that it's the phrenic nerve (possibly referred pain). My doctor doesn't know what to do with me and thinks it's odd that I still have shoulder pain as he has concluded it's free air. I have a hard time believing that.

So, does anyone out there have any suggestions as to what kind of doctor I should see or start with to try to fix this? The only relief I get is from narcotics and laying on my left side. :)

I really feel for you. It's like knives stabbing you. I have the same pain. I'm only 4 months post op. Narcotics do nothing for mine. The only thing that works is laying on my back. And I stand up as straight as possible. Still anytime I have to bend forward to do anything I get the pain. My Dr. said there is nothing he can do for it. He thinks the band is somehow irritating my diaphragm. He told me if it didn't stop he would do some tests. I'm not having the pain as often now, so I'm holding out for the testing. Good Luck! I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

I too am having this shoulder pain on the left side its been happening since I had an unfill back in november. I also have back pain at the back of the shoulder. I have the pain all the time now thinking of going to the doctor also. I am 10 months out. talk soon

aggie

I know exactly what you are going through. I am almost 13 months post op and I am STILL having this problem. Not sure why but it really hurts bad. I though it was just arthritis (almost 40 you know) but its only in the left shoulder. It doesnt happen all the time but when it does, WOW!!!

Edited by brendaanise
accidentally sent and wasnt finished

Good to know I'm not creating this pain! :cursing: I'm seeing my PCP on Thursday to see if she can help me.....thanks everyone!

Just an update...

I saw my PCP last week and she doesn't at all think it's the phrenic nerve but instead thinks it may be little muscles coming off of the coracoid process by the shoulder. She thinks they are spasming?? I don't really agree with her but she gave me shoulder excercises to do every day and take ibuprofen for the pain. Ok, so I know that doctors have no idea what this is and this visit was a shot in the dark but really, for those of you that have this pain, do you REALLY think ibuprofen is going to help?!?!? NO! She said to come back in 3 weeks if it's not better. Guess I should be making my appointment now....:)

After my above post I went to see my surgeon. I discussed the shoulder pain. I don't think it's a coincidence that it began hurting again the day of my first fill. He has me scheduled for an upper GI tomorrow to see if the band is okay. If it is then I guess it's off to the PCP. But I definitely think it is band related. We all have it in the left shoulder and none of us had it prior to the banding. I think all the doctors at this point are guessing and taking ibuprofen is not the answer. That doesn't treat the cause.

Cleo's mom, please keep us updated on your progress! I was banded on 1/13/09 and am having very bad pains ONLY in my left shoulder, my Dr. told me it was gas but nothing takes it away... it is a very painful thing and I wish you the BEST.

Baylee - since you were banded so recently your shoulder pain is probably due to gas. I had that too, but it went away after a couple of weeks only to return on the day of my first fill. I had my upper GI this past Tuesday and the doctor (radiologist) asked me if my surgeon explained why this could be happening. I told him no. He said that the diaphram is right there by the band and if it is irritated then the pain goes to the left shoulder (I guess that is referred pain). He also said the hiccupping that I had when I got stuck is due to the phrenic nerve being irritated. He seemed much more knowledgable than my surgeon. Anyway, I go for my second fill on Tuesday and will discuss this with my surgeon and do a follow up post.

Oh I feel for you, I know the left shoulder pain was the worst. It hurt to move or even breath at times. Mine has passed, thank God. I am sorry you are going through this.

lucy

I was banded on December 8 08 and I had HORRIBLE shoulder pain for about 3 weeks after surgery. It seems to come back after eating too much or eating too fast, very weird, but it hurts very bad! Nothing I have tried so far has worked, except not overeating or eating fast. Also if I drink alot in one sitting it hurts to and is only the left shoulder. Hopefully someone can figure out why this happens and come up with something to help!