Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quitting w/ E-cig for Lap Band

I've been reading the forums for a few days now, and I've seen plenty of mention re: quitting smoking prior to the surgery via cold turkey, the patch, etc. but I have yet to see any mention of doing so with the electronic cigarette which is what I had intended to use. It delivers nicotine in the form of liquid vapor to my lungs removing carcenagens and other damaging agents that a typical cigarette would. It also produces a lower dose of nicotine in my blood stream than your typical patch. What I need to know is whether or not this would produce acceptable preop results for a surgeon like Dr. Ortiz compared to quitting with the patch or other sessation devices. I don't intend to turn back once I've begun, and need to know I'm on the right track now.

The E cigarette as I understand it isn't a tool to quit smoking but a way to deliver nicotine to your body when you can't smoke because it is banned or prohibited.

The patch gives you a minute amount of nicotine over 24 hours to help your body "come down" from nicotine. You still have to break the habit of smoking.

Nicotine (whether you smoke it, use the ecigarette, "dip" tobacco etc) increases heart rate and blood pressure and blood glucose. It constricts blood vessels and can impair healing.

Most lap-band Docs want you to quit smoking for THAT reason...the benefits to your lungs from all the stuff that smoke has in it is just secondary.

The nicotine in the patch is way less than what is in one cigarette, let alone a pack (or more) over 24 hours.

So I'd say NO, the e-cigarette would not be considered an acceptable alternative because you'd still be getting the nicotine and the bad effects of that drug.

I also don't think the e-cigarette will help you quit smoking any more than tapering off on your own will.

I used the patch, in 1995, did the work, and quit. It gets easier. You may just have to bite the bullet and do it. It is worth it in the long run.

I quit after smoking for 20 years using Chantix. It is a prescription pill- it is a miracle for me and my best friend used it, too. She was a 2 pack a day smoker. I am on a lower dose because the side effects were rough for me on the higher dose- bad dreams and stomach aches- but it is great now. I do not even think about smoking and don't miss it a bit! Good luck!

Thank very much for the input that both of you have provided me with. I too have used the patch years ago beginning with step one (the highest dosage at 21mg of nicotine) and quickly found myself even more addicted to cigarettes than I had been before.

We are all different and have different body types, but this made me aware that the patch was not a good option for quitting.

We typically ingest 1mg of nicotine per cigarette, and that dosage is lower when smoking lights or menthols. The reason that I chose the electric cigarette was because the highest dosage that the cartridges come in are 10mg, and they range in dosages from High, Medium, Low, to Zero nicotine, and if used properly over the correct period of time can be used for smoking cessation.

Getting back however to the actual substance of Nicotine and its ability to constrict blood vessels, increase the heart rate, blood pressure, etc. it is more logical to remove the substance entirely from my veins before surgery.

The difficulty for me has never been in the actual quitting of smoking. I can quit cold turkey in a matter of three days if I plan things out well. Four months later when the stubbing of my toe is enough stress to cause me to light up again; well that seems to be the problem. It’s not the quitting it’s the staying off completely.

As far as smoking meds go , such as Wellbutrin, or Chantix, I was diagnosed Bipolar type I a little over 12 years ago and have been on medication ever since. The meds associated with quitting smoking pose a risk that could cause me to go into mania and possible rapid cycling, which believe me would be far worse that smoking.

I know there is a solution to this equation, sometimes the best ones are simply harder to find. I just like to plan things out pretty far in advance. I’ve never been fond of surprises.

I quit in '95 and haven't kept up on the patch but back then, considering I smoked over 3 packs a day, the 21 mg patch that distributed that over 24 hours was giving me WAY less than what I smoked. Perhaps if you smoke under 1 pack a day, the 21 mg patch (which does NOT dump it all at once but doles it out 1 mg an hour) was too much. As I recall, they recommended the 14 mg patch for smokers who smoked less, and there was an even smaller patch (amt escapes me)...one was supposed to titrate down.

Since you have such a handle on your addiction I'm sure you'll figure out a way to quit!

I'm on day 3 of quitting smoking cold turkey. I have to say the first two seemed to be a piece of cake but today is a different story. However, I am still smoke free. I chose to try with out meds since I am trying to make new lifestyle choices all together with WLsurgery, etc. I want to see if i can have the will power to make myself make the life change without help. food has much more power over me than nicotine and believe me I LOVE MY CIGS!!!! I needed to prove to myself that I have the power needed to get through this on my own so I know I can get through my food addiction. I have to be honest though - I am only making it through the power of prayer. I have also set a piggy bank on my desk that I put my cig money in and money I saved by not using the patches/chantix to go towards my new wardrobe for the NEW ME!!! Good Luck!!!

Good for you Alabama. But realize there is no shame in using a tool...that type of thinking is what keeps lots of people who need it from getting the "Band"...thinking it's "the easy way" and feeling they should be able to do it on their own. I'm all for whatever makes my life easier! Plus, pragmatically, I want to achieve my goal so anything that will favor a positive outcome is something I want to use! :)

I quit using welbutrin 5 years ago and have no urge to smoke, unless I'm drunk. I only drink that much a few times a year and have never had any more urges the next day. I had previously quit cold turkey for 6 months and wanted one constantly but now I cant stand the smell.

AAAaargh!

Weight loss and quitting smoking in one fell swoop????

I'm shaking in my boots now... LOL!

When I was pregnant, I quit cold turkey and stayed smoke free until baby was about 10 months old. Morning sickness may have helped with that, though... LOL!

I saw the e-cigs in the mall last weekend...

I'm not so sure that's part of a cessation program.

Besides, they are really heavy, too...

I'd suggest trying the tried and true route...

Good Luck - you can do it!

Wow, I really didn't expect this much encouragement, but really appreciate it a great deal.

I still have more research to do (as if that ever ends) but as I mentioned before I'm determined to make quitting permanent this time.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted.

I couldn't help but add to this post. I am on day 7 of quitting... It's no easy task, but I am also determined to make this change in my life. I am using Welbutrin and Nicorette gum. I think the gum was the best choice for me because now my mouth always feels clean (yes, they have come a LONG way in the flavor and texture of Nicorette) and it keeps me from wanting to eat for compensation.

I'm getting banded in 2 weeks!

I quit after smoking for 20 years using Chantix. It is a prescription pill- it is a miracle for me and my best friend used it, too. She was a 2 pack a day smoker. I am on a lower dose because the side effects were rough for me on the higher dose- bad dreams and stomach aches- but it is great now. I do not even think about smoking and don't miss it a bit! Good luck!

I quit after smoking for 20 years with Chantix, too! The only side effect I had was more vivid dreams. Initially I experienced unusual drowsiness in the evenings the first couple of weeks but that passed. My husband also successfully quit on Chantix. It was truly painless and effortless.