Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How well do you tolerate oatmeal?

How well do you tolerate Oatmeal  

6 members have voted

1. 1. How well do you tolerate Oatmeal

• Tolerate it well
    • Tolerate it OK
    • Cannot Tolerate it at all
    • Don't know, I don't eat oatmeal!

I am curious as an oameal fanatic, how well you are able to tolerate eating oatmeal and what you do to doctor it up...

I usually eat one package of oatmeal (any flavor will do) and add a small spoonfull of creamy Peanut Butter and a small amount of sugar free maple Syrup to spice it up. (It tastes like an oatmeal cookie)

Hi:

I make a dessert with my oatmeal and it's so easy. I use the instant Honey Nut Oatmeal mixed with a little bit of melted butter to make it crumbly. I put it over drained, canned peaches and bake it at 350 for about 45 minutes. It's a yummy peach crisp. Not sure of calorie count, but I don't eat more than a half cup at a time so it can't be that much.

If you add crushed almonds to your oatmeal it's yummy, and crunchy too.

Best wishes to you in bandland.

Sue

I heat milk, honey, raisins & crushed walnuts or sliced almonds & heat it in the microwave for 130 seconds. Then I add natural flavour oatmeal & heat for another 20 seconds. Then I stir in toasted wheat germ.

I have oatmeal almost every morning. I use whole oats and add a tbl of honey and some cinnamon. Yummy!

I tolerate oatmeal well and love it, but that sounds yummy - Peanut Butter and maple syrup!

I only eat proper rolled oats though, i simply dont understand why you would take one of nature's superfoods and process it to remove most of its nutrients, THEN eat it.

I soak my oats in milk overnight, then just heat in a saucepan the next morning for a few minutes. If I dont soak, I just cook them in milk/water and boil for a few minutes longer. Delicious. I like brown sugar and a bit of milk with mine.

I also make bircher muesli - soak oats overnight in apple or orange juice, maybe add some sultanas and in the morning add something like half a grated apple, or some stewed fruit and natural yogurt, sprinkle with some raw almonds or cashews. No cooking for that one.

I do the crumble thing too - oatmeal, brown sugar and butter mixed to a crumbly texture, spread on top of some fruit and bake - we use green apples, and this week someone gave us a bag of plums, so I used those, top and bake. Its technically a dessert (well in Australia apple crumble is a pretty traditional dessert( but I have been known to eat it for Breakfast - with cream too (shamefaced). Only a bit of cream, like a tablespoon. I figure there's sugar, salt etc in all processed cereals to such a degree that this is probably healthier and it gets my fruit in (I have a lot of trouble with uncooked fruit).

Edited by Jachut

I can eat it and it fills me up, but it makes me dizzy, like it messes with my blood sugar a little too much.

I tolerate it fine and love it especially on a cold morning. But I just cook it in skim milk and eat it plain or with a little stevia or berries, I love oatmeal as it is so I usually don't add any extra calories to it.

I get the weight control oatmeal. But do eat the rolled oats also. My husband never ate breakfast, and thought he didn't like oatmeal!! But he eats it every day.

I noticed a lot of the recipes have nuts in them. I thought we couldn't eat nuts with lap band?

Quaker makes a product called Weight Control Instant oatmeal. They have two flavors at my grocery. banana Nut and Cinnamon. Both are good. The reason I like it is that it also has 9 grams of Protein in one little packet. It's a perfect breakfast. I love it. It holds me over until lunch. If I'm a little tight in the morning, I just add a little more milk after heating it up, and thin it out a bit. I do just fine. In the winter I also LOVE Cream of Wheat. I add a half scoop of unflavored Protein Powder to it after I cook it. It's a comfort food for me.

Oatmeal is about the only thing I can have for breakfast and I love it. I just do the plain oatmeal with honey!!!! Yummy!!

I'd like to echo those who like the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal. My doctor actually suggested to me because I love oatmeal for breakfast but had been avoiding it since I try to make Protein the center of each meal, but honestly I love carbs. The Weight Control Oatmeal is the best of both worlds, and it actually does keep me energetic and full all morning.

I cook the oatmeal with skim milk instead of Water. I actually prefer granulated oat bran. It is like cream of wheat (or Farina) and it is a nice consistency in the morning when I am especially tight. I do a combo of Cream of Wheat and Oat Bran, cooked in skim milk and with a drizzle of Cracker Barrel sugar free Syrup. Yummy and band friendly when you can't handle ANYTHING solid in the morning!

Mmmm I just had some. Yum. I like Steelcut Oatmeal made with lactaid skim milk, vanilla, and cinnamon (and some sugar, Im a purest). OR Quaker Instant Weight Control in any flavor. I like this kind because I cannot detect the artifical sweetener.

Edited by chocolate_snaps
Lactose Intolerant Pride!