Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Reporting in!

Hi y'all! Sorry I disappeared on you. I felt so great, I returned to work and was buried. LOL!

Anyway, what Peanutband had is normal. I had a sensation of "back wash" and discomfort when laying horizontal. Fortunately for me, I had a bed wedge left from a previous medical condition. Now I sleep normally, and this morning awakened to find myself on my stomach! That's happy. I'm a tummy sleeper, and missed it.

Doc warned me I might experience some pain around the port area when I visited him Thursday, one week after surgery. He was dead on. I'd been feeling some new pain, and over the next two days I was back on the liquid Tylenol. It did go away, and by Sunday morning was forgotten.

Now the big problem has been Constipation after I started consuming soft foods. (Ahem!) I tried a certain herb tea, and while it did the job, it was sloooow. In desperation, I'm trying Metamucil because it's psyllium. Only problem is, it really fills up the stomach pouch. I have some mild discomfort, but a cup of hot liquid like coffee pushes it past the stoma where it can go to work.

Off to blog and answer a private note!

Lena

[From Lena: Doc warned me I might experience some pain around the port area when I visited him Thursday, one week after surgery. He was dead on. I'd been feeling some new pain, and over the next two days I was back on the liquid Tylenol. It did go away, and by Sunday morning was forgotten. ]

Lena, I'm glad you're back. Thanks for sharing about the port area pain. I was in such pain last night on the inside - a new pain. I was worried! I took the pain med that I had stopped 2 days ago and went to sleep. This morning it's not better but not worse. Then I read your note! Now I know what the problem is and I can calm down a little. Thank you so much for sharing your time with us!

Congrats Peanutband , I'm so happy you had made it through so well, I did say a pray for you . I'm 2 days away from having mine done and must say still scared as hell ,but I'll be alright (I hope). One thing I wish I had was a recliner my girlfriend gave my her pull out bed (couch) just for the reason of having the surgery .I've slept on it for 2nights just to see it would feel ,and I must say it SUCKS! I can only image how hard it is going be after wards . I do have a king size bed upstairs ,but my bathroom is down stairs. The 1/2 is under construction (upstairs) has been for 2weeks now .I have a lounge in my living room ,I think I'm better off in that and besides it's already broken in . Again best wishes ,and now you on your way !

Trust me Ronda1966 it is worth it and you will be fine. I had to use several pillows under me for a couple of days when I wasn't in the recliner. Try to use pillows, it does help. The best news I can say is I have not taken any of my medicine for sugar in 10 days. My sugar is staying in the range of 120 to 86. I am so happy about that. Also my wedding rings, I can wear them on the right finger, and they are moving around the finger like they need to do. I am so excited about the future if this continues.....Wooohoo!:cursing:

Hey Everyone,

I was banded on the 6th - so I'm on day 6 recovery. Overall, it has not been nearly as bad as I imagined. I have steadily been getting better. Each day there seems to be improvement. Today is my first day back at work and it's not been as bad as I thought. My incisions are still sore, but even they are improving. The port area though still let's me know it's there! The worse thing is turning over in bed. I can't sleep on my back for very long - so, I've been sleeping on my right side, but very, very carefully turning over. If I'm not careful, that port site definitely lets me know!

My first post-op visit with my doctor is this Thursday. I'm thinking that's when they'll remove the stitches? Have any of you had your stitcxhes removed yet?

hello!! I got my follow-up call today. I asked about these wonderful bandages affixed to my tummy!! The nurse said that I should take them off now.. WHAT?? UM, so, how did ya'll get them off??

Lena, I'm glad you're back. Thanks for sharing about the port area pain. I was in such pain last night on the inside - a new pain. I was worried! I took the pain med that I had stopped 2 days ago and went to sleep. This morning it's not better but not worse. Then I read your note! Now I know what the problem is and I can calm down a little. Thank you so much for sharing your time with us!

**HUGS** Yeah, the port pain goes away, thank goodness. Now my biggest issue seems to be over-confidence. LOL! Once in awhile, I forget to chew slowly, sip instead of drink, and be aware that I'm still healing. I tried a new dressing on my tuna today, and started to wolf it down because it was so good! Ow! Ow! I didn't put down my fork and chew-chew-chew! (whimper) Here's the recipe:

2 oz tuna

1 T olive oil Mayonnaise

2 T lime juice

1/4 tsp minced garlic (I buy those jars in the produce section)

black pepper to taste

82 calories, 1g carb.

I deserved that pain for my greed, but I don't recommend it.

Lena

My first post-op visit with my doctor is this Thursday. I'm thinking that's when they'll remove the stitches? Have any of you had your stitcxhes removed yet?

Doc said to let the bandages and steri-strips fall off naturally on me. I kind of assumed there are stitches, but maybe there aren't any. He checked a few things, but I don't see him again until my very first fill appointment on the 5th.

I've been reassured several times that fills aren't painful, but I'm such a baby about needles. (nervous smile)

Lena

hello!! I got my follow-up call today. I asked about these wonderful bandages affixed to my tummy!! The nurse said that I should take them off now.. WHAT?? UM, so, how did ya'll get them off??

Hey JenzNewLife - it sounds like your doc used a different dressing than mine. Only one of my incisions had a bandage - the port. The others look like they have some kind of "super-glue" stuff over them - clear. Anyway, my nurse told me to take the bandage off and go ahead and wash with soap and Water. And, that's what I've been doing. I've been able to take showers, no baths.

I was banded on Friday (January 9th). I am absolutely not hungry. I have to make myself drink the protien shakes. I have found that adding a little bit of V8 fruit juice thins out the shakes and makes them easier to handle. The vanilla Atkins shake with strawberry/banana juice is really pretty good. I am looking forward to mushy foods on Friday. I am kind of tired of liquid only.

I am still a bit sore around the incisions and my left side I have a bit of a stitch type pain but overall I am doing fine. I am definately sleeping better and have been able to sleep on my side for a little bit in the night.

Just a bit of a tip from my aunt who is a nurse - make sure you get plenty of protien even in the first two weeks - this will help prevent any hair loss.

Just a bit of a tip from my aunt who is a nurse - make sure you get plenty of protien even in the first two weeks - this will help prevent any hair loss.

Good for you! Just one question: What is "plenty"? I've never heard a real number. Not that I've had any problems, but I'd like to know.

Lena

I can see that there are so many differences within doctors already. My doctor don't me to have any Protein Drinks until the second week. When I do get to drink Protein I need to drink at least 50 to 60 grams a day. Also my doctor did use the super glum method on me instead of stitches or staples. Isn't that funny how there are so many different rules but you still have the same ending results.

Thanks Peanutband and CJMTexas. Those numbers give me some idea, anyway. I probably make the minimal numbers anyway. I'll try to keep track of this as well.

Lena

Congrats on everyone who's been banded so far. You are all reassuring me and making me feel a little easier. I get banded tomorrow. My only real worry right now is that my husband has to work a 12 hour shift the day I am released. I'll be in the care of my grandmother and her sister. I think I"m ready for the aches and pains of surgery since I just had my gallbladder removed this summer (by the same doctor). I think I'm all set.

I can see that there are so many differences within doctors already. My doctor don't me to have any Protein drinks until the second week. When I do get to drink Protein I need to drink at least 50 to 60 grams a day. Also my doctor did use the super glum method on me instead of stitches or staples. Isn't that funny how there are so many different rules but you still have the same ending results.

I don't know about everyone else diet but my doctor has me drinking Isopure Zero Carb for protien during the first week. It's about 40g a carb per bottle and they told me to dilute it with Water. I tried it yesterday and it's very sticky sweet. It actually reminds me of warm just made Jello.