Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 27

Hi everyone. Went in for my fill this morning. He couldn't find my port. He kept poking and poking and it did hurt when he was poking around with that needle. Finally, he sent me down and did it under fluro -- but even then he had a tough time. He reassured me my port is fine (I could see it on the x-ray) but for some reason he just had a really tough time in locating it when he had the needle in hand. He promised he won't have any problems next time (which will be on my b-day so hopefully not). All in all, it wasn't bad, but I do have a bruse where I was poked and about 10 little holes where I was stabbed with the needle. I had a little burning pain for about an hour after the fill but seems to be going away now. Always seems like if there's a problem, it'll be a problem for me. LOL. I love my surgeon -- he's a good guy - I know he felt terrible. I lived to talk about it. Pen, have you had a fill yet? Funny thing is, I had to go to a luncheon at work right after and although he told me to have soft foods for a few days, I was able to eat a salad and a little meat and really didn't feel any restriction -- will have to wait and see. Linda

Hello ljv. Sounds like it was a rough start but a happy outcome. I kind of felt the same way about the restriction. I definitely feel tighter in the morning but I guess I thought I would feel full all of the time and not be hungry like I felt in the beginning. That is not how I feel at all. I still get hungry, but I can't eat nearly as much without getting full very fast. Therefore, I eat a smaller amount of whatever I cook for dinner and then wait. I can usually tell if I have eaten to much because I get very full and feel miserable for being so stuffed. So it is a live and learn kind of experience for me. I have to learn what I can handle. The good news is that I get to eat normal foods, just not as much as before and I get the added benefit of having good food (I do avoid breads though) and I get to lose weight too. Again, this is just my experiences so far with one fill. Nothing stuck yet....Yay! Take care and Good luck!

Carolina Mom, Somehow when I checked in yesterday, I missed your post. I'm so sorry you're feeling so lousy and having such a rough time. I do hope you start feeling better soon. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and sending you a big hug right now. Pen, what kind of work do you do? I was a legal secretary and worked at Woodburn, Wedge most of the time I lived in Reno. That whole area has grown so much it's scary -- I was back there in 2005 and I couldn't believe how much it had grown. My son graduated from McQueen H.S. in 1991, and there wasn't much out there at that time except the school and now there's miles and miles and miles of houses beyond that area. Unbelievable. The exercising really really works - I was pleasantly surprised when I got on the scale Tues. for my weekly weigh in -- I had lost 5 lbs. this week, so I was thrilled. I had so much gas after surgery that I stopped drinking Protein shakes pretty early on. But I ate only very soft foods -- egg beaters, scrambled very soft (with some non fat or low fat cheese melted on them), salmon patties, Boca and Morning Star veggie patties (much softer than real meat), baked fish, and black Beans, pinto Beans. I eat a lot of canned green beans. I dice up onion and put the onion in the pan with a tablespoon or so of those real bacon bits (only 1.5 grams of fat per 1 Tablespoon) and cook that until the onion is soft and transluscent. Then I add a couple of cans of green beans and then some pepper and a couple of tablespoons of vinegar and letting that simmer for about 15 mins. I like them this way adn they're very low in fat and they are soft and easy to eat. I like a lot of veggies, but I LOVE butter on them which of course I can't have, so that's why I like these beans. I've only had carbs a couple of times since I started the pre-surgery diet. One time I had a small red potato with non fat ranch dip on it and I've had a couple of bites of rice a couple of times. I've never had any problems with getting anything stuck or PB'ing. In fact, today was the first time I tried salad and real chicken (I had a salad with grilled chicken at Applebee's) and boy did that taste great -- I'd been craving salad but was afraid to eat it (not sure why). I took my own fat free ranch dressing with me. Like I said, I've been so hungry lately and have to be careful when I chew cause sometimes I am eating way too fast. When I get restriction, I'll have to be careful. Can't wait to get that fill next week. Pen, have you had a fill yet? Good luck and let's try to keep in touch. Linda

Hi Linda,

Sorry - I was out of town last week and didn't get back to you sooner. Work-wise, I'm a project manager. I like detail work so it's fun and it keeps me pretty busy. Until the band, I wasn't too busy to eat though :thumbup: so my band has been good for me. I'm learning fast what a normal portion looks like. I'm thinking "Seriously, only that much?" . Then, I can only eat half of it. :w00t:

You're right about Reno/Sparks growing so much. It was outta control and housing prices matched. It's been really bad since the bubble popped. We've got two houses on our block that went into forclosure so our housing prices skidded too. It's so much worse in Vegas that it's no comparison. We're hanging on but hoping that this slide stops soon while we've got jobs.

I have my first fill on the 18th. I'm not so concerned about pain but I am worried about the effects. I'm not especially hungry but I don't feel full unless I overeat (which I've done a few times). I can swallow the jumbo fish oil capsules and I can swallow beverages without having to use a sippy cup. I've had a few PB's but otherwise I can eat almost anything. I've been gaining and losing the same two pounds for 4 weeks so it's probably time for the fill.

Otherwise, things are going pretty well for me. Keep in touch. I wanna hear how you're doing.

Pen, How was your fill? Hope it was okay, and no problems. I'm doing fine, lost another 2 pounds this week so now at 48. Very happy with my results, but I do work very hard at it -- doing lost of exercise 5 times a week (I work on the weekends so I can't exercise Sat./Sun. but it's nice to have those two days off from the gym anyway). Let me know how you're doing. Tx, I feel more restriction when I eat, but can eat just fine in the morning. But it is nice to have that restriction feeling again when eating. I've had a couple of instances where I feel a tightness while I'm eating, but I just stop for a few mins. and it goes away. I'm so afraid of pb'ing (I never have, but read about it a lot) and just don't want to hurt my band in any way. I have to remember to eat slowly and chew, chew, chew. Would love to hear from everyone -- Carolina Mom, how are you doing? Hope everyone has a great weekend. Linda

Pen, How was your fill? Hope it was okay, and no problems. I'm doing fine, lost another 2 pounds this week so now at 48. Very happy with my results, but I do work very hard at it -- doing lost of exercise 5 times a week (I work on the weekends so I can't exercise Sat./Sun. but it's nice to have those two days off from the gym anyway). Let me know how you're doing. Tx, I feel more restriction when I eat, but can eat just fine in the morning. But it is nice to have that restriction feeling again when eating. I've had a couple of instances where I feel a tightness while I'm eating, but I just stop for a few mins. and it goes away. I'm so afraid of pb'ing (I never have, but read about it a lot) and just don't want to hurt my band in any way. I have to remember to eat slowly and chew, chew, chew. Would love to hear from everyone -- Carolina Mom, how are you doing? Hope everyone has a great weekend. Linda

Hey Linda,

It wasn't bad. Like a few other people, the worst was the numbing shot and the pain lasted only a few seconds. After that it was smooth sailing. The doctor filled the band with 2cc at surgery (I didn't know that at the time) so the nurse added only 1cc. Weird. I felt a difference but it was so subtle that's it's hard to describe. I've lost a pound since yesterday but that's probably the required liquid diet.

Congratulations on losing 48 pounds! You must be feeling so much better physically and mentally. What are you down...two sizes now? The almost 20 that I've lost has made a huge difference in my arthritis. Clothes fit now too. Haven't had that feeling in a long time.

Sorry about taking so long to post. I got slammed the last two days and fell behind.

Hey everyone, I am doing better. 31 pounds gone and 15 inches. I cannot say it has been easy but I'll live. I have not had a fill yet because of the problems I have had. I can eat about 1 1/2 ounces only at a time. I am tight in the morning but around 10 things are good. I eat lunch while trying to watch my kids in my class which is not easy to focus on the chew, chew thing. But I am coming around. I love the weight loss and inches. Love seeing a size 12 clearly. This for sure a learning process.

Congrats Carolina Mom on both the lbs. and inches. I never measured myself before surgery (and the nurse forgot too) so I finally took my measurements after my last fill. I have lost a lot of inches, though, so I'm disappointed I never took them before. I completely cleared out my closets (had a friend come and take it all) and have gone down almost 4 sizes - I'm short, only 5'2" and so I have a long, long, long way to go until I see size 12s. Plus, I have to admit, I did wear my clothes on the baggy side before, so truthfully, I probably have only gone down 3 real sizes -- since I was probably wearing a size too big to begin with. Does that make sense? But I like them loose when I was topping out at 245! Pen, glad your fill went better than mine. I didn't get a numbing shot so I felt the pain with each of the 15 or more "tries" the doc took to find my port. We're going to visit my son and daughter-in-law in Vegas the first week of April. We had scheduled a trip last Aug. but I was in the hospital at the time so the airlines gave us a credit. We are going in August, and I had hoped to use the credit for that trip, but found out I have to use it or lose it before June 1. Since I have a holiday (Good Friday) the first week of April, we're flying out. We'll get to see their new house (they just moved there in Oct.) and I miss them terribly, so glad we are going. But I'm worried about eating while there -- I'm worried I'll go "crazy" and eat like a maniac. I'll have to really be disciplined. We're going to stay at the Rio (we have free nights there) so at least I'll have a gym to work out in and a pool. But I am worried about the food. Have a good week everyone!! Keep in touch. Linda

Pen, congrats on your 20 lbs. too -- we are all doing great. Isn't this a fantastic new year for us? I'm loving it! Linda.

Linda,

You're doing fantastic. I'm stuck at 20. Still I'm very happy with the changes that I'm making. Smaller portions. Much more control since I've stopped fantasizing about the next meal. I feel so much better in my own skin too. I don't dread going to social functions. I'm amazed at the difference that 20 pounds made to my head and self esteem. Plenty more to go but I know it's doable now.

Hi Pen, Glad to hear from you. Yes, it is amazing how quickly we feel better, isn't it? I keep thinking, "why didn't I do this last year before I got banded?" Truthfully, however, the band truly has proved to be a tool to me. Although I still don't have great restriction, I do get satisfied on just my small plate of Protein and veggie. I hardly ever eat any carbs (except fruit) which to me is amazing. I would have never dreamed before of eating a meal without carbs! I remember on my info from the dietician at the surgeon's office she added a handwritten note to the page that said, "carbs are NOT required, not required EVER" on the sheet. That really stuck with me (probably why she did it that way) and so when I started eating real food I quit thinking in terms of what else to eat besides protein and veggie. I did have a baked potato a week ago (first one and I used low fat sour cream on it and no butter but boy, it did taste good to me). But boy oh boy did I get full fast -- so when I say I don't feel I have great restriction, that's kinda a misnomer cause I realize if I try to eat like I used to I have great restriction. Anyway, just sharing some thoughts here, wondering if any of you feel the same way. I gave all my old clothes away a few weeks ago and have purchased some new ones. I have a new problem -- I have worn too baggy and loose clothes for so long it's taking me awhile to get used to wearing properly fitting clothes again. But, it's a good problem to have. I can't wait till my new clothes are too big. Have any of you taken measurements? My nurse thought she took mine before surgery which she didn't, so I ended up doing my measurements just a few weeks ago after I lost most the initial weight. I know I've lost lots of inches though cause there's a lot more room on the love seat for the dog to lay next to me -- she was pretty crowded before and now has lots more room. That's kind of a strange way to feel success, isn't it? Getting ready to go to Vegas for a short visit with DS on April 6. We had a credit with airlines from last summer which we had to use before June 1, so we decided to visit that week since I have Good Friday as a holiday. I'm a little worried I'll go crazy with food, but hopefully my little tool will keep me in line. It's easy at home, but eating out will probably be much harder. Hope you are all doing well and would love to hear from you -- Carolina Mom, TX -- keep us posted. Pen, love hearing from you, thanks for keeping in touch. Linda

Hi again,

I just got home from a trip. I ate less -- much less -- while I was away. Not typical for me. In the past, I've used trips as an excuse to eat anything I wanted. Usually, it wasn't good for me. Of course, the band helps with Portion Control but the way that I traveled will help me in the future at home and away.

I planned ahead and packed sugar snap peas and mini carrots in snack-sized baggies. I bought a small container of hummus and I packed single serving packages of Meal Replacement and a small Blender Bottle.

I kept everything cool in an insulated cooler in my hotel room and I ate just fine. I stayed out of the hotel coffee shop and nearby restaurants. I felt terrific the whole time.

I'm going to adopt a couple of these practices now at home by upping the servings of veggies every day, getting some Protein with hummus instead of all the meat, and drinking more Water. It was just the boost I needed.

Hope you're all doing well. Have a great week.

Pen, Thanks for sharing, those are great ideas. Our room will have a fridge so I plan to go to the grocery store when I get there and stock up as well on some healthy choices so I can skip restaurants except for maybe dinner every night. Hope you had a good time, though. Linda

It was wonderful. Sacramento was 77 degrees! Thanks.

Hi gang,

Sorry I haven't posted lately. It seems my laptop has played out on me so the only time I can view the website is when I'm at work and that can be a tricky situation. It looks like everyone is doing well. In terms of weight loss, I'm doing okay but today is one of those days where I could eat all the wrong foods but instead I'm turning to the website. My dad called me earlier today from the ER saying he was having shortness of breath and chest pain. Well turns out he's had a heart attack and they admitted him to ICU. I was at work at the time and one of my good friends/co-worker immediately rushed me to the hospital he was at. It's been one emotional rollercoaster tonight. Thank God, my dad was stable when I arrived but he's going to have a stent placed in his heart tomorrow (which is now today). Since I couldn't stay the night with him I went back to work once I saw that he was stable and talked with the nurse. (I couldn't go home because I wouldn't be able to sleep so I figured if I was at work my mind would be occupied elsewhere). Now, since I'm an emotional eater, I want to go to the vending machine and get a big bag of chips and a 20oz. coke, but instead I'm opting to come on the website and chat my fears away. I feel better just talking to you guys. Carolina Mom, I'm glad you're feeling better. I wish I were close to being a size 12 but hey I'll take what I can get. I'm down 36 pounds so I can't complain. Linda, congratulations on your big loss. Fifty is right around the corner. Penflair, great idea on taking snack sized baggies with veggies. That's a good way to avoid eating all the junk food you normally eat when you go on a vacation. I'll have to try that when I go to Chicago in July. Thanks for allowing me to ramble. Hopefully, everything will be okay.

MsKelly, so glad to hear from you and so sorry about your dad. I'm sure he will be fine and will be much better after the stent is put in. It's very hard to deal with these types of situations. It's so easy to turn to our comfort food as it's always been there for us in the past. Try to make better choices tomorrow, and don't worry about what you ate today. Make each day a fresh start and try to have foods on hand that are healthy for you rather than the vending machine choices. I know in the past when I would have a bad day and go off my diet and eat bad things it could lead to just more days of eating bad things. Then I'd be even more disgusted with myself. Try not to do that, because that's just negativity in our lives -- try to remain positive if you can (and I know it's hard). I will be keeping you and your dad in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself and know we are thinking of you. Linda