Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spent 1st night in the emergency room

RM, I just spoke to my doc and tho he sounded concerned about the fever, said if it got to 101 (it's was 100.4, but is 100.0 now; I took some tylenol), then call him back. He said it is not unusual for a slight fever. Body reaction...or something.

You are right, I did get crappy post op care, they got too nonchalant.

Respectfully, a post op fever isn't normal. It DOES happen when the body is starting to develop Fluid in the lungs. We don't really feel it at the early stages, thus the incentive spirometer. NOT to contradict your surgeon! I know my limitations! LOL But I did just go over your posts with my husband (who's a bsn RN with over 20 years experience in med surg) and he said a fever post op isn't normal and you need to watch it, deep breathe, and walk (LOL)

So please keep on doing both those...even though your lungs feel clear, if when you breathe deeply you cough up "stuff", then they are NOT clear! :tongue2:

VC, I agree with you 100%. I spent the night at the hospital, not because I wanted to, I just didn't want my hubby dragging my kids out 45 minutes away on New Years Eve. Even before the banding, my dr. signed an order to admit me for 23 hour observation. I recommend it for everyone! I am so, so, so glad I stayed (even though I could have went home).

I had dry heaves like crazy, seems like everytime I stood up, I was two seconds from collaspe (or it felt like it) and the nurses were wonderful. I still had my IV in so they pumped me with anti-nausea, and painkillers whenever I asked. Plus, the electric hospital bed assisted with me getting up and down. I was able to get some walking in around the halls. My room had a shower with a chair so I was able to wash in comfort. They served me my clear diet without problem. If I could have, I would have stayed there another 2 days.

I'm glad I went home; I felt great, had no nausea, no vomiting, and slept MUCH MUCH better in my own bed. HOWEVER....we should all do what we, and our surgeons (both!) think is best. If you're in doubt, unsure, worried, a little nervous, by all means STAY overnight! I didn't need to but not everyone is good to go right away!

I cannot even imagine getting a plane just hours after your surgery. I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough time. I was required to stay one night, and actually ended up staying TWO nights. I coudln't drink Water, I was so full and bloated feeling. It was awful. When my doc placed my band it was loose so he put a small amount of fill in it (as he often does with some patients.) But it was too much for me and he had to come and unfill me. Since it was nighttime by then, he wanted to make sure I that was all it was keeping me from drinking, so he kept me another night. Next morning I woke up, had tea, had some Jello and felt like a new person. Was home by noon.

Hope your recovery is smooth sailing from this point! Keep an eye on that fever, definitely!

Volcanolady: In addition to all the other advice you've gotten, make sure you are keeping yourself hydrated with your liquids because you can run a low grade fever if you get dehydrated. People don't just run a fever for no reason and please don't play around with the fever. If it does elevate please don't delay in getting medical treatment. Take Care,

Susan

I am curious, was it your insurance who said this was an outpatient procedure or your surgeon? The more I read this site the more I realize there is no consistency or "standard of care". Some are inpatient, some outpatient. Major variance in preop and postop - regular food right away to 4 weeks of liquids. I actually meant to ask my surgeon about this today, but forgot. I was an overnight, on IV's and a catheter until the next a.m. when I had to pass a barium swallow test, then urinate before going home. In all, still less than 24 hours inpatient, but definitely felt well cared for and confident to go home. Since it is less than 24 hours, it is considered outpatient, I wonder why more don't do it this way.

Glad you are now on your way, sorry you had to have such a rough start - and what sounds like an unnecessary rough start.

I can't say for sure if it was the physician or insurance. Maybe someone else out there can relate. My insurance is with Kaiser. Here, they have only been banding for 2 years.

They provide a large binder with lots info and you have to jump near impossible hoops for 4 months before you can get approved. Even then, I have noticed many inconsistancies.

The rest of my group is still waiting for a surgery date, 6 weeks after approval. Terrible.

BTW, my fever is gone and I feel much stronger.

Volcano Lady - WOW! I can't imagine getting on an airplane after surgery. Not to mention I've been on a few flights into Hilo that I thought I was gonna vomit... :thumbup:

I also did an overnight stay when I was banded. I didn't feel like I needed it and really wanted to go home at the time - but in hindsight I'm glad I had the stay. In fact, even the next day after a barium swallow they wouldn't let me go until I proved I had a ride and was not driving.

Good luck in your recovery and at least you have a beautiful island on which to do it! Don't take that place forgranted!

Brad

What a story....I'm glad you are doing ok.

As for me I arrived at the hospital at 6 am, surgery was at 8, and at 1 I was in the car on my way home! I'm waiting for the day of the "drive-through surgeries"!

It is a bit rediculous being rushed out the way we are nowadays, but thank goodness I had no complications and was glad to be going home.

Take care

Sorry to hear you had a such a stressful experience on the day of surgery. In hindsight we can always think of ways we could have done things 'better'.

My surgeon said the decision to go home after surgery was out of his hands. What he was getting at was the fact that, if I didn't pass the post-surgical milestones I would stay in the hospital overnight. As other posters indicated, I too had to have a post op barium swallow xray, be able to urinate, drink 1 oz of Protein drink followed by 3 oz of Water followed by walking and respiratory exercises every fifteen minutes. I wasn't 'cleared' until I could do all of the above and keep my oxygenation above 90% while walking. The gentleman who was next to me in the recovery room spent the night in the hospital. I saw him at our post op classes the week following our surgeries. I was able to leave about 4.5 hrs after surgery.

Keep up your liquids, breathing treatments, and activity. My prescription pain meds caused me to be terribly nauseous. I figured out the connection after taking the first pill. Thankfully my pain was very manageable with Tylenol.

Best wishes to you on your journey.

Volcano Lady is my friend, we started the lap band program at the same time. For me, I have been waiting two years to get this surgery done. I'm still waiting for my call from the surgeon. Kaiser has put us through so many hoops, I'm fed up ! Now I hear this unnessary horror story my friend just had to endure, and I don't know what to do. I was supposed to be called for my surgery in December also, and all I've gotten is the run around. After all this time, I'm second guessing everything, if this is a sign, maybe I shouldn't do the surgery. I've lost confidence in Kaisers bariatric team and I just don't know what to do or think at this point. I'm so close and yet I've never felt this fearful and unsure since I first requested to get into the program. :thumbup:

I'm much better now. Sore but that's to be expected.

PT, you didn't decide on the band on a whim.

Keep focussed, it'll be worth it in long run. Hang in there, we skinny chicks are going to Vegas next year remember?

Wow, so sorry you went through this. Not a very nice way to start your New Year.

I had some minor complications with my band surgery/recovery, so I stayed in the hospital for 2.5 days. At the bariatric center I attend, the norm for a band patient is at least one night spent in the hospital.

I had stomach gas pain so bad that the pain was not being alleviated by the pain meds. This is the primary reason why I spent extra time in the hospital. I had to wear anti-nausea Patches in the hospital and at home. When I did pass gas I thought I was some alien monster.

Anyway, I did make it home and I felt awesome on day 7 post op.