Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-band surgery vs c-section

I was wondering if the recovery from lap-band surgery is similar as recovering from a c-section? I've had 3 c-sections (the last one was in 2003) and am having my lap-band surgery on 1/27. Has anyone had both surgeries? Are there any comparisons in terms of recovery? Which one had an easier recovery? Is the pain similar?

Thanks!

No worries there - the two are not comparable! I've had 3 C-sections and was in the hospital a week on pain medicine for at least 3 weeks. After banding, I didn't even use the pain medicine prescribed to me. All I had to do was walk (immediately after surgery), walk, and walk some more while practicing deep breaths. I'm 3 weeks out and lying on my stomach typing this - no pain. You've been through the storm, you'll do great!

lb

I've had two C-sections. I was sore for a couple weeks after them and didn't get up and walk as easily right after.

With Lap Band, I was getting up and walking just fine on day one, and the surgical pain was gone for me about two days after I was home. The largest incision I had was about an inch and a half, and that wasn't the one that was sore. ha ha ha

I'd say the gas pain was more bothersome than incisions.

I had to sleep in the recliner the first night at home just because of the gas pressure. Walking helps get the air in your abdomen moving.

Congratulations on your surgery!!!! I wish you all the best!

C-section is way more invasive! There's no comparison. (I haven't had one but I've seen both done...nursing student LOL)

Okay, I've had 3 c-sections too. Each was followed by two days in the hospital with a morphine drip in my arm. I was sent home with a bottle of percocet pills. Sure things would hurt when I got out of bed or leaned over, but it never really mattered to me because there was a beautiful baby who needed me.

Let me just say I'm a wimp. I don't want to feel any pain, ever. I was just banded on the 12th of December. I did spend one night in the hospital with IV pain meds. I then came home with the percocet again. The pain was different, but I think it was mostly because I was totally focused on me, me, me (for a change). My pain was all I was really concerned about, no newborn or hormones to distract me. Its not that bad. Its not pleasant, I didn't enjoy it, but you get through it. I did take a week off from work and the kids were still in school/daycare so I really took the time to recover. If you can arrange it, your should really try to have someone else around to watch the kids. Good Luck

I didn't notice the pain from the incisions at all. I had a harder time recovering from the anethesia. I have had 2 c-sections and believe me there is no comparison. You will be surprised at how easy it will be. Just plan to sleep a lot.

I have also had three c sections. Except for the first my c sections were easy. The lapband was not painful except for the gas. I would disagree with the plan to sleep, if you lay down to much the gas will be worse. I had to keep reminding myself that the pain I did feel was mostly from gas and no amount of pain med would fix that. Good luck.

I have also had three c sections. Except for the first my c sections were easy. The lapband was not painful except for the gas. I would disagree with the plan to sleep, if you lay down to much the gas will be worse. I had to keep reminding myself that the pain I did feel was mostly from gas and no amount of pain med would fix that. Good luck.

The first night had slept sitting up.

I hate to be the only one to say this but I have had a much harder time with this than my c-section. I don't know why.

I had my band done on Tuesday, this week and am just now finally feeling a little better. And I mean just a little better. I have been sleeping in the recliner all week b/c there is no position I can get comfortable in.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel now and that is terrific b/c even as of yesterday I was really regretting doing this but today has me feeling a bit more optimistic.

I know that everyone is different and I wish I had been one of the folks who had no pain or trouble but I wasn't. I wanted to post so that you would know that it may go either way.

When I was on here reading a few weeks ago I read posts from people who had their surgery on Friday and said they were back to work on Monday. I set up my thinking that I would be one of those people and expected to bounce right back but unfortunately I have not. My Dr. called me today to see how I was doing. I told her that I was having a hard time and the details. She said it sounded pretty normal and it was a hard surgery to recover from. I felt better hearing that b/c at least I know that I'm not the only one.

I'm not trying to discourage you b/c I am not unhappy that I've done it now, but I just wanted to share the other side of recovery.

p

<><

I'm with poodles. For some reason this has been a much harder recovery for me. Not sure if it is because I am older, more out of shape, or what, but for me it was the gas pain. It was so terrible and no amount of pain meds will ease the gas pain. After my emergency c-section, by the third day I was up and drove to my work to show off the new baby. I expected that this time. but by the thrid day I was still moping around in serious pain. I couldn't imagine leaving the house and driving the car. I am almost four weeks post op now and still my port site is terribly sour and I have constant pain in side and back.

Justme...do you have back pain too? I have been having pain in my back that is killing me. It moves from between my shoulder blades to the middle right side. I think its muscle spasms. Its really bothering me.

So I tried to get out of the house today. I thought a quick drive to the store (husband driving) and just pick up a few things would make me feel better. Well, i was wrong. We didnt make it out of the subdivision before I was having motion sickness. Ugh...I'm so glad I dont have to work this coming week.

Justme...do you have back pain too? I have been having pain in my back that is killing me. It moves from between my shoulder blades to the middle right side. I think its muscle spasms. Its really bothering me.

I am the same. I have side pain right above my rib cage, kind of around where my bra runs to the back. When I went to my 3 week post -op, they told me this is "normal" with some people and is referred pain from my diaphram being aggitated from surgery. I've had two floroscopies (sp?) done and everything looked fine so I guess I have to trust the surgeon. If not I wouls swear it feels like my band is in the wrong place or has slipped already except I have no problems eating.

Thanks for all the replies! I enjoy hearing everyone's experiences. The recovery from my first c-section was much worse than the second and third ones. I'm hoping for the best but preparing myself for the same amount of pain/discomfort just in case. I'm getting nervous!

Hi,

I would say the 2 csections I have had were worst that the lapband surgery. The first csection was the worst but then the 2nd you knew what to expect.

With the lapband, I wouldn't say easy but the recovery time is much quicker. However the gas pains aren't fun, you will need to walk walk walk... they made me walk around be4 leaving after surgery. My surgery was at like 10am and I was leaving the hospital at 3, groggy but leaving, went back to my parents house for a few days so my Mom could take care of me (hubby was at home taking care of the kids) and I got to sit up in the recliner for 2 days, mom brought me lots of liquid and made me get up and walk.. the port incision hurts the worst for a while....

Anyway hope that helps you....