Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this - Old to the Ban

I really don't know how this works, but I will try. I don't know how you get all that info to come up where your name is. Like age weight date of ban installation, etc......... Any help would be great. My friend back in NY told me about this web site, and I have been reading around it. WOW, it is really cool, I wish I knew about it a lot sooner. When I first moved to florida (About 2 years ago) I had had my Lap-Ban in a year. I was in dire need of an ajustment. Ended up going back to NY to get one, and was doing good for a while. Now last winter I needed another ajustment and could not find any doctor down here to do it. I live in Citrus County, about 1 Hour north of Tampa on the coast. Not a booming city to say the least (we don't even have Starbucks !!!!!). The nearest big city is Ocala, and that is not really that big as far as city's go. I did find one doctor there and he would not ajust anyone who he did not install the lap-ban on. So after a lot of work I found the obeisty clinic just out side of Tampa. Now I am going there.

My name is Butch and I have had the lap-ban since 2-18-02, a long time as far as a lot of people on this web site, so far. I started at 600 lbs and the doctor wanted me to lose 50 lbs before he would do the dirty. So tape over mouth I lost some weight, it was close to 50 lbs. more like a strong 35.... I did my best, sorry to say. But he did the install and as of to date I am 390 lbs. Now to me this is a 200 lbs loss. I could do better if I could do more excersize, but the only stuff I can do is in the Water. You see.... if I walk too much or try to do too much my back starts to kill me. I have this huge lump of skin and fat hanging in front of me, it's like having a 150 lb tool belt on, or a 150 lb apron. Anyway, I need a an ajustment, and thats all there is to it.

Now for a qustion that I have been bounceing around in my big fat bald head...... Before I had the lap-ban we had classes every month. Now one month a Plastic Seregon came by and told us about a lot of things we could do as we lost weight. One was like a Tummy Tuck but like to the 10th degree. They cut you across the pelvis and up the middle to above the belly button. It was like hard core, but now it seems worth it. If I did not have this "Tool Belt" out in front of me, there is a lot more I could do. I might have to lose more weight but no biggie. Any help with a Plastic Seregon would be a great help to me. And I will be in touch with..... Ya'all. Thanks in advance, Butch

Hey Butch! Welcome to LBT!!!

Wow, what great success you have had so far! And it IS neat to see someone banded a good while. Vinesqueen's DH started our at 600 too. She'll post soon, I'm sure.

The surgery you are talking about I think is called a Paniculectomy-oh please check the spelling-I just know it's wrong. I'll see if I can post some links to other threads. Insurance will generally pay for this since it's "medically necessary" and NOT cosmetic. That apron is par for the course with weight loss, and you will feel SOOO much better to have it off! Your back pain will improve, no doubt!

Leeme see...check these links...

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5195

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1933&highlight=panniculectomy

That should get you started. Happy researching!!! So glad you are here!

Hi Butch & welcome to LBT

Iam sure the clinic in Tampa can give you a name of a plastic surgeon and give you a referral. It may be medically neccessary for you which your insurance will cover it. Ask them at the clinic, Iam sure you are not the first patient to ever inquire about a plastic surgeon.

Congratulations to you on such success with your band! Awesome job you have done.

Thank you all for your thought's, they are well taken. I am going to make an appoint with Dr. Grossbar who heads the clinc. Let's all us in florida stay in touch. This is an awsome web site and I can see why a lot of people stay in contact with the web site even after they got to goal weight. I will me looking around this site and getting more at ease with it. Thank you again Everyone, you guy's are the best. Butch

Hi Butch. Welcome aboard. Congrats on your fantastic wieght loss. You are doing great! Keep up the hard work--you CAN do it. By-the-way, we love the ocala area. We go camping to salt springs quite often. We usually bring our ATV's and go riding. Fun, fun, fun!

Welcome Butch

You have done well in your weight Loss:) Hope you get the info you are looking for

Hi Butch,

I live kind of near you-have you heard of New Port Richey? Dr. Grossbard did my band on 7/5 along with Dr. Rehnke in St. Petersburg. There is going to be a support meeting next week in Largo that you are welcome to attend. It should be a good one. Dr. Gary Calhoun (obesity psychologist) has special plans for this. His website is www.OnlineLifeCoach.com (then click on pink stomach) and another site you might want to check out is www.obesitynomoreFL.com Dr. Grossbard attends the support meetings as a bandster instead of a doctor-he is a special person.

You are amazing! You really put your mind to it and used your band as your tool like we are supposed to. You will love the meeting if you can make it because the people are so nice and have so much in common. Yes, it is a long drive, but it is only once a month. Even if you only make it every other month you will benefit.

Welcome to LBT. I'm new to this board also. I joined a while back but got side tracked with summer vacations & getting banded and now I'm back.

Keep in touch-you did great getting your name etc. on.

Denice