Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How strong of a tool?

Ok I have been reading this forum for a couple years now and am in the process of getting my band.

I know the band is a tool and if you choose you can eat around it by eating ice cream etc...

HOW strong a tool is it? I mean I obviously struggle with knowing when to stop eating. Is the band going to "discipline" me enough to help me not overeat if I stay away from the high calorie liquid foods that slip right through?

If I may...

Your discipline is the thing you need to measure, not the band. It will work only as well as you will allow it. If you go into this saying I have mostly everything I need to lose weight but I need some support when the tough times happen, the band will work beautifully for you.

If you go into this saying I'm going to test the band at every opportunity because that's how I behave, the band, well I'm guessing will not be a good a tool for you.

I expect there are other ways of saying this...but it's about you and your committment to transforming your life. Doing something drastic like having an WLS says that you are there on many levels.

Framing the use of the band in how it will support you the best way possible will go far in how well you succeed with it.

So quick and dirty, you can and will cheat with the band if you want to.

I am well aware that losing weight with the Band will require self discipline forgive me if my original post did not make that sufficiently clear.

Like most who are overweight I have gotten my will power together and lost weight. Dieted and excersized for 6 months to a year at a time losing weight. Always life happens or my will power fails. If the band is not a tool to give the extra needed in those times what else is it for. Why bother getting it all if all I need is a good plan and strong will??

I think it's amazing. I'll tell you why. I have had NO restriction that I'm aware of. And yet, between Fill #2 on 11/13, and fill #3 on 12/18, I gained.....1/2 of a pound. This while being able to eat anything. No restriction? Ok. I've had pizza and pork chops and chicken and dumplings and you name it. Tacos. Nachos. I felt "slightly guilty" but had determined I would NOT diet. (that doesn't work for me long term) I have tried not to snack, but if I'm hungry, I eat. After my 5 week severe preop diet and 2 weeks of liquids (before mushies) post op I lost a lot. I expected once I could eat that I'd gain it all back in a heartbeat. That's what's happened to me before once I "quit" a severe diet. BUT I've only gained 16 pounds, and only 1/2 of oune pound of that between fill 2 and 3. Now after fill 3 I've lost a couple. I am NOT dieting. I still don't even feel restricted yet. I try to chew well etc but can swallow etc anyway if I forget. I haven't ever PB'd or slimed. And yet I'm losing.

Maybe that will answer your question. I thought I'd kept gaining because I haven't felt one moment of "diet"...being deprived, going without. I realized when I got my favorite Chick Fil A, ate 3/4 of one, 3 waffle fries, and tossed the shake out without even tasting it that I really am getting satisfied with less. And no restriction yet. That, to me, makes it an incredibly powerful tool.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

Thank you. I will make healthy choices and eat right. I will not eat around the band.

I just worry, sometimes people try to really manage your expectations so you wont be disappointed. I don't expect a miracle but I don't want to come out the other side with nothing different. I obviously need this help and I admit as I get closer to setting a surgery date I'm getting a little more nervous. Not doubting I want this just afraid that like everything else I have tried weight wise I will fail at this to. I know my will power is lacking.. I need something to help it along.

I understand, I think! It's like I COULD have had the shake before I ate my chick fil a. And I COULD have forced myself to eat all the fries and so on. Personally, I'm just trying to keep a middle of the road mentality...not obsessing over each bite, weighing it all, writing about it (LOL) etc, but by the same token not eating if I'm not hungry, stopping when I'm satisfied even if I have food left, etc. When I pay attention to myself, I realize smaller portions are working for me, and if I pay attention to myself, I realize i can go longer without Snacks, between meals, because I don't get hungry again so fast.

The band IS a tool and different people use it differently (sounds like a cliche but it's true!) Some people do measure, and use Portion Control before sitting down to eat it, etc. I just know from past diets that even if I start out, eventually I'll go NUTS counting each cracker and weighing each serving of beef. So what I'm doing is working for me and it's the BAND that is making the difference. An amazing, subtle difference. I love it. I truly do.

I didn't mean to imply you didn't have a strong will. You are right, anyone who has battled their weight has discipline.

What I should have said it's different for different people; how strong the tool is for keeping food at bay. Different people "wear" it differently too. Some keep it super tight, some not so much. But you probably already know that since you've been on these boards for some time.

What I was trying to say it's been my experience that if you look at the extremes of personality types with the band, you have on one side of the continum, the "I'm going to beat the hell out of my fat. I'm going to take this opportunity and do everything I can to get this weight off of me. This is my most extreme attempt, I'm having surgery and this tool is the going to be the difference between now and all my other attempts. I will be at goal!" Then on the other side you have people who say, "Oh I'm so sick of being fat. I want to have surgery to get the weight off. If the band is the difference between before and after, sign me up..." then months into it they are the ones who haven't met their goals because IMO, they are pretty passive about the whole experience. They will give you ample examples of how it's everything but personal choices that got in the way too...

Then there's most everyone else who sits between the two.

Or perhaps this is a better reply which is accurate for me: I used to be a volume eater. I could consume piles of food before. I simply can not now. I still eat some crap food but the band allows me to eat 2 oreo Cookies not a sleeve of them. If I make 2 eggs and toast for Breakfast I typically throw away half.

The band makes it easier. Indeed. I would have never been successful without, and I don't wear it super duper tight. When my weight stands still which it does it's because I make less than optimal choices, but I don't or haven't yet gained weight and that's pretty freakin' sweet.

TY Juli - that makes a lot more sense to me. I am starting to get nervous and a bit reactionary I feel really bad that I have failed consistently to be able to control my weight. I am a volume eater as well. I rarely even snack. Its just when I eat I almost get manic about it. Like HERE is a goal I can achieve lol not sure if that makes sense. I need the band to not let me do this. I can do the exercise and will continue refining my choices but I need help keeping them smaller.

Restless Monkey - Exactly!!! I am such an extremist I really struggle finding a balance. This has to be something I can do permanently. The thing that scares me as that I have said that before. I really need this to work. I am tired of being tired and sluggish. Of my knees hurting and the highlight of my day being when I can sit down or sleep. The band needs to be the solution I can truly live with long term.

the band can be a strong tool yes.. if you eat solid protien and not slider food. the band will tell you when to stop and you will get sick if you overeat. so in that manner yes it will help. Yes you can eat around it. this is what I have found life changing for me. Instead of eating a whole bag of chips at one sitting I only have like 5.. If i get a small kids hamburger I only eat half. Most the time I eat healthy but I admit im a big red meat lover lol. However.. When you got good restriction it is a great tool and powerful. and it will help you. None of us were successful in the long road which is why we all had surgery in the first place. All I can tell you is I lost 64 pounds in three months, No way I could do that on my own and cut down my portion sizes like I have!!

Awesome!! I hope I can report the same thing after surgery! Congrats on your weight loss as well that is way faster than I am even daring hope for!

I get the manic part of wanting to over eat. Nothing more thrilling than getting the plate clean. LOL. I say that in a twisted way, but I do remember those days.

When I went in for my inital consult and it was determined that I was a volume eater the nutritionist said to me, you will do very very well with the band. It's the snackers who tend to keep putting food down continually that struggle. Who knew?

You'll be amazed at how differently you feel about food. It really does stop becoming all consuming, sorry for the pun. But honestly, it has made all the difference in the world for how I react to food. Don't get me wrong, I still love food. I'm a cook by trade, so it's a huge piece of my world but I've transferred much of how I inneract with it to other behaviors. Come to my house and I'll feed you! it's sick, but it's the truth. :)

Also, Monkey, I ascribe by the not extreme rules too. I actually have thought of my band as bumpers on the bowling alley. I try to shoot down the middle but if I get off track it keeps me from rolling into the gutter.

Now I am excited again bout of nerves has been laid to rest.. hopefully permanently Lol

It is still all about your choices. Once you are properly filled, eating a regular meal (meat, veggies, starch) is difficult. You can eat just a few bites of each item and you are sooo full, you can't eat another thing. You don't want another thing. However, if you choose to eat junk food, the band won't help much with that. You can still eat lots of ice cream, milk shakes, and some Cookies and other junk foods. The band is excellent if you eat real food, but if you can't stay away from junk foods then it won't help as much. I must admit that I fail often and eat too much junk food. I often just substitute junk food for real food. But before the band, I ate huge meals, then plenty of junk food too. Now, just the junk food sometimes, so I still lose weight because I'm still eating less. I am a slow loser because I make lots of mistakes. But I am still down almost 100 pounds so I'm not complaining. Loving this band!!

I am so loving this thread! I really needed to read this tonight and thank you so much for asking the question! I am 2 weeks post op and I fear that it won't be enough. I continue to lose, but the fear is still there, due to all the past failed attempts.

I am just starting my Band journey and this has helped me understand!! Each perspective makes sense and I feel more assured about getting "banded":teeth_smile: