Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After many, many months of trying to just accept that I can't do anything about this weight that i have become, I have started to entertain (seriously enough to end up on this site) that lap banding may be relevant for me.

Can anyone tell me;

• if there was one thing that pushed/decided you to seriously consider this for yourself?
  • how do u rationalize in your mind (or to family friends) that you are willing to undergo significant health risks (up to and including death) from surgery/anaesthesia/complications, but u can't do the simple things that the rest of humanity does to not over eat and excercise properly?
  • has anyone considered the Mexican dr's/locations
  • has anyone had the procedure done in the Western provinces of Canada, or the western states like Washington?

All info/answers/perspectives gratefully received. Thanks.

Happy holidays Contemplating!

There are many reasons I decided to get lapband. The first and biggest reason is that I just recently got diagnosed with high blood pressure, all due to my weight. I have been overweight all of my life. I have tried every diet from Atkins to Weight Watchers and had only been able to lose 50 lbs on my own. I just needed help! Lapband is not the cure all, but it sure is a tool that has proven to be very successful for many! I personally feel that I would have greater risks to my health being obese than losing the weight now. So to me the surgery was SOOO worth the risk. My family and friends have been nothing but supportive of me, they understand the struggles that come along with being overweight and have seen the years of truly trying to do something about it.

I was banded in Mexico. I have insurance, but my insurance company has any bariatric procedure written out of their policy. So I am a selfpay and just could not afford the surgery here in the states. I had my surgery done in Juarez across the border from El Paso. Being that I live in Texas, I felt this was the best bet for me. I used a company, Medical Tourism Corportation to set up all of the details of my surgery. Everything went exactly as they said it would, and I was very pleased with everything. I would go to Mexico again in a heart beat. I know Mexico is not for everyone, but I would recommend any of my friends or family to go there.

Wow. A lot of questions, some seem so simple, but so off base.

It is easy to assume that we are overweight because we don't et right or exercise, but that is not the case for all. I had 5 years of intensive IVF that wrecked my body and metabolism followed by 2 pregnancies in two years.

So first of all my question is why do you (or I) have to rationalize to anyone else but myself? I don't. I am the only one that matters. I don't care what anyone else thinks or believes. They are not me and do not live my life. The risk of not loosing the weight is far greater than surgery by any means.

I had tried to diet for years and nothing worked. My breaking point was when I went to the movies with my kids and could not sit in the seat. I then realized I would not make it to see them marry if I didn't loose weight.

I was banded in August of 2006 and I can say it changed my life. I now can do all the things I wanted with my kids and they no longer have to make excuses for me. They no longer will utter the words "mommy can't she's too big". That was worth any risk ever!

Good luck to you!

Thanks for your reply- I appreciate what u had to say. I truly do recognize (having been in the medical profession myself) that not everyones weight is a result of over eating, wrong food choices and not working out. However, it's safe to say those are the most common reasons, and they certainly have been mine and everyone else I know.

I guess i am trying to work out in my mind, how, if i can't do it now, am i going to be able to do it after the surgery? And i'm also trying to rationalize (to myself primarily) the risks associated with the surgery and beyond vs not being able to eat less/better and move more.

However, the bottom line is that I am just wanting to make sure that i'm not acting out of desperation and not considering the reality of what this is about.

Thanks again for your perspective and I'm glad to hear that it worked out well for you!

J.

Happy Holidays to you too!

Thanks for your thoughts- it is Mexico that I am leaning towards too. I am concerned about the aftercare that is available where i am- as i couldn't afford to keep going down there for fills (or heaven forbid something worse going wrong)

Glad to hear that you are feeling so happy and positive about the process- I haven't felt that about my body/weight/ability to address it etc for so long. I think that alone would be almost worth the price and risk.

j.

Thanks for your reply- I appreciate what u had to say. I truly do recognize (having been in the medical profession myself) that not everyones weight is a result of over eating, wrong food choices and not working out. However, it's safe to say those are the most common reasons, and they certainly have been mine and everyone else I know.

I guess i am trying to work out in my mind, how, if i can't do it now, am i going to be able to do it after the surgery? And i'm also trying to rationalize (to myself primarily) the risks associated with the surgery and beyond vs not being able to eat less/better and move more.

However, the bottom line is that I am just wanting to make sure that i'm not acting out of desperation and not considering the reality of what this is about.

Thanks again for your perspective and I'm glad to hear that it worked out well for you!

J.

Feel free to pm and we can talk personally. I can tell you how I feel now is a different life.