Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Manitoba anyone?

My hubby and I were scheduled for fills at noon on the 11th but are going to have to cancel because his work schedule changed. It's a very long drive from Sask. to not even see a doctor and to just get a nurse to do the fill. We are thinking of trying the nurse in Regina. Has anyone gone to her before? Has anyone talked to the docs about how they feel about getting fills done elsewhere? It sucks because we will have to pay but we are spending that much driving to Winnipeg anyway.

I'm in for 12:30 tomorrow, will leave by 6am to make the drive - NOT looking forward to it! I was thinking of asking about their thoughts on switching to the nurse in Regina that does fills - I believe she charges $100 a pop, but between gas and the time it takes to drive into Winnipeg for it, I don't think I'd be losing much. I'm just not sure how they would feel if I turn myself over to someone else for fills. Hell, who knows if I'll even see one of the doctors.

Let me know if you decide to use the nurse in Regina, would love to hear how it goes, and it would be SO nice to have a closer option to get a fill done if needed (or even un-done if I ever happen to get too much)

*Edit* do you (or anyone else from SK) know if it's true that we have to have a prescription from the doctor before a nurse will perform an adjustment? Something about it putting the nurse at legal risk to do it without a prescription from the doctor? Anyone? anyone?

Edited by sk27
Edited to add more rambling...

Well I'm totally nervous about my fill tomorrow! I'm really hoping she knows what she is doing. I'm uneasy not just because of the technical skills required to do this relatively painlessly, but this person doesn't know me, didn't do the surgery, and I'm just worried about the level of experience she/he has. Last time I got a fill it took Dr B a bit longer because he said scar tissue has been forming... oh dear.. I'm going to drive myself nuts.

Well... I had reason to worry. I don't know about any one else's experience but mine was not pleasant. My appointment was for 9:20. I went in to see Terry the new Nurse Practitioner at 10:30. She's really nice, seems to know her stuff. She took a bit longer discussing things than the doc's do, but that's not a problem, it's actually nice that she takes the time. The problem arose when she could not hit my port right. She tried for what seemed like hours but probably was only 5 min, poking me quite a few times. IT HURT. Eventually she gave up and let me know the doc's would do it. Another hour wait... I finally get the doc to do it, who does it in record time, and I'm out of there. I think I got too much of a fill ...but I'm going to stick it out for a few days, I don't want to go back! All in all I spent 3 hours there this morning. yikes.

Moonbeam, you must have went in just as I arrived. My appointment was for 10:50 I got there about 20 to 11. By 11:35 I asked where I was on the wait list cause I had to be at work for 12.....was told there were still two people ahead of me.....so I went and told Jen that I would have to reschedule.....she said the next appointment would be when I was originally scheduled two weeks from now! Then she said she would see how long the docs were going to be there ....as it turned out they didn't finish surgeries till nearly 4pm and then had a consultation so Jen called me at work and asked me to come back in for 4:45. Well as fate would have it I ended up not getting a fill anyhow....doc said why fix what ain't broke....I managed to lose another 7lbs in the past 4 weeks. WAHOO! I must be doing something right, now if i can just figure out what that is !:(

Well - I made my 5 hour drive there, put in my time waiting (which I didn't mind) and finally got in to see the nurse only to find out that I didn't need a fill. I'm a bit skeptical, but since my last one I've lost 14 pounds - which is GREAT, however I had almost a week where I was sick and not eating and I know that I dropped a lot at that time. So - back in the car for the 5 hour trip back. If I keep losing, I'll phone and tell them that before I drive all the way out.

I suppose I shouldn't focus on the negative (10 hours of wasted time :blink: ) and instead should focus on the fact that if I didn't need a fill, I must be doing good, but it's hard to think that way. I feel like I'm eating more still then what I thought I would be able to after my consultations and after everything I've read, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Moonbeam - your story made me squirm - that really sucks it was a rough one

Hi Everyone. So I really want to book my surgery for Sept. 1 but I am having problems with financing. The bank is giving me a hard time because I started a new career a year ago. Has anyone gotten financing from the lender that deals with Maples? Let me know ! Thanks.

Mandine, I went to cibc, but I too had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it. Maybe a co - signer? Good luck!

Hi Everyone! So it is booked! I get banded Sept 1. I finally committed to a date and I am freaking out. I'm really excited but the amount of money was hard to swallow. I just keep reminding myself that if I lose weight with this and feel better, it is worth every penny. This has been great support for the decision but am wondering if anyone knows of a support group in Winnipeg, I guess a real life one I'm looking for aswell. Also, I think I asked this before but did anyone experience any Hair loss? And...has anyone reached a plateau with their weight loss? or does the lap band allow you to lose weight continuously? Thanks for all the support and it's a big reason why I decided to go ahead with it. Hearing all your successes makes me really excited to start my journey!!

Congrats Mandine!!! You won't ever regret it!!!

Mandine. Good for you! You have your date! I was postponed from Sept 15 to the 29th. I see the dietician Monday. Do let me know what it was like and how you handle the early times. Yes, I'd be interested in a face to face support group. What area of the city are you in? I'm in the south.

Tammer, you've done so well! You've hit your groove. What are you doing - marathons?

Congrats Mandine!

To answer your Hair loss question. Yup. I went through about a two week period where I started to wonder if I should stop combing my hair! It was coming out big time. I've made sure I'm more diligent with my Vitamins and that seems to have helped.

I've been at a plateau for a while now. I lose 3 gain 3. I'm hoping this last fill will have done the trick and I'll start to lose.

HELP!!! lol. I met with Danielle yesturday and have surgery booked for the 1st of September but after our consultation yesturday, I am having big big reservations. I feel like with all those resitrictions, I could do this on my own if I really tried...and without spending the small fortune. I have to meet with Jen tomorrow to pick up the meditrim diet and give my deposit, but I'm not so sure this is the right thing. I have to give up so much but I could do this on my own. Any suggestions?? I am so confused and have to decide by tomorrow. If I do go ahead, I would love to start up a face to face support group...I live in the south end of the city.

HELP!!! lol. I met with Danielle yesturday and have surgery booked for the 1st of September but after our consultation yesturday, I am having big big reservations. I feel like with all those resitrictions, I could do this on my own if I really tried...and without spending the small fortune. I have to meet with Jen tomorrow to pick up the meditrim diet and give my deposit, but I'm not so sure this is the right thing. I have to give up so much but I could do this on my own. Any suggestions?? I am so confused and have to decide by tomorrow. If I do go ahead, I would love to start up a face to face support group...I live in the south end of the city.

Hi Mandine. I know how you feel. I felt the same. "If I can do all of that I wouldn't need the band!" I guess the trick is view the band as a tool and not a solution. Here's what it does for me, now that I'm at a fill level that seems to be effective.

1)Slows down my eating big time. This keeps me from the mindless munching I like to do in the evenings.

2)Gives my body a chance to feel full before I over do it.

3)Keeps me fuller longer.

4)I am mindful of what I buy at the grocery store. I am trying hard to find high Protein items that are filling and trying to avoid slider foods.

Here's what it doesn't do.

1)won't keep me from buying and eating slider foods. If I'm determined to eat crap.. I will eat crap. This is one that dissapointed me. I was unhappy that I will still have to utilize self control, especially when it comes to the "good stuff"

2)It doesn't change my head hunger. I have years and years of bad eating habits to overcome. I used food and over eating a coping stratagy and have noticed that I'm getting a bit depressed now having my stratagy interupted.

Those two are my biggest downfalls. I look at it this way. The band is taking care of the physical difficulties I had with eating. ie eating fast, mindlessly and too much. But I need to address the head issues. I am doing that by going to councelling.

Hope some of that helps!