Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Manitoba anyone?

Shopping dilemma solved (finally after all my b*tching). The Bay Downtown had alot left and I even bought 1 dress a size too big that I will have altered. Score!!

I called Jen today - looks like we got our wires crossed a bit as I missed her to book the appt for the fill. She was not at her desk and the receptionist told me that they would call. I should have gone in today however Bracken was alone and now both are on holidays until Aug 10th. So now my fill date will be on Sept 1 at 4:40 after I am back from vacation (I leave on Aug 7th)

I am sorry to hear about the issues that you had and hope that the back pain is gone. Put it all behind you right now and just start fresh - don't think of the "woulda, shoulda, coulda" and don't beat yourself up over anything that has past - this is a new moment right now going forward.

As for that miserable machine called a scale, I try to make it a point to only weigh myself twice a week - Tuesday (because I need to be extra good on Monday to make up for any excess on the weekend- okay, okay, I like to have a drink or two - but not 10 like I used too - on the weekend) and Friday (because I try to keep on track on the weekdays and know this will be a good day). If you must - move that horrid beast to another room between weigh ins so that you are not tempted to peek. Just remember - it is not all about the number on the scale - but feeling good about the things you accomplish and learn along the way. (I am getting off the soapbox now people)

I seem to be doing okay - my pre op weight was 219 and after the diet and at surgery, I was 211 - June 9th. At my weigh in this morning I am just under 196. Jen told me that they just would have checked me and probably not given me a fill this time as I had lost more than 10 lbs. I am still a little nervous about eating in public which is my saving grace and I find that I tend to forget and may not chew as much as I should or swallow too large a piece. I have some uncertainty about the trip we are going which will be with a group for 3 weeks. None of them with the exception of my husband know anything about this, although they do know I am dieting again. Did everyone see the eyeballs rolling? :-)

Leslee, next year when we all are a fraction of our previous selves, we (and everyone on this forum) will be able to look back and be amazed at what we have been able to accomplish. Even though it feels like hell sometimes - remember to Celebrate the small victories you make each and everyday!

Cheers

IWBAL

Edited by I Wanna Be a Loser

WANNA BE; Thanks for the info about the bathing suit shop at Polo Park.....I also was told about 'Swimming Matters' on Waverly and Grant, it carries only polyester bathing suits which are the kind you want if you're going to be in the pool any amount.

I also wonder about the purging thing.....I haven't experienced any of that ....thank goodness....but I do wonder why I don't feel the intense restriction that some of you talk about. I am supposed to be at 5cc and only have a slight restriction...if I eat slow enough and don't drink with my meals (sheesh thats not an easy habit to break) I'm usually okay. I suppose I shouldn't focus on the restriction as long as I'm losing :thumbup:

Hi Mimi - thanks for the tip on Swimming Matters - I will try and check it out.

So far with the purging, I have been lucky enough only to experience that at home - I think it was because I was not thinking about the chewing, swallowed something too big because I was hurrying.

One of the most amazing transformations for me has been that I am not constantly thinking about eating like I was. From waking up in the morning onward, I was alway thinking what was would be next to eat - trying to balance the good with the bad (and often gravitating towards the bad) and by the end of the day pigging out with whatever is in sight. Every morning would start out with the best of intentions and by noon would be blown out of the Water. Now I am finding that I have a fuller feeling, I am consuming less, obsession less on what I will eat and, dare I sayit, I have acutally missed eating a couple times because I got busy and did not notice the time. Wow - that is something that thin people say - I never really understood how people could miss a meal - I was like clockwork when it came to meals, now, not so much. I am eating when I am hungry - what a great concept.

Mimi - maybe the restriction is there but for some, they may be consciencely aware of it whereas with you, your body may be picking up the signals natually - which is something that we all are moving towards. Obviously there is something at play as you are continuing to lose weight, so that is a good thing. I would like to think I am at the inbetween stage, conscious sometimes, but looking to be aware of the restriction as I was only banded 6 weeks ago.

Cheers - IWBAL

WANNA BE; I do agree with you in that I don't find myself thinking about food all the time....other than how I'm going to adjust what I'm making for supper to suit how I need to eat. I can't honestly say that I'm ever really hungry.....now that's not to say I'm a saint either lol. Its all about getting back on track if I've slipped and forgiving myself instead of beating myself up like I would have in the past.

My ticker moved! my ticker moved! (except I can't remember my password and can't get it to move!!! arrrg) I'm excited, that darn thing has not budged for over a month. Two pounds. This last fill had an effect. Question though, even though it's doing something I still don't feel full fast or for long periods of time. The weight loss is due to me being scared to eat stuff because some stuff is getting stuck and I'm very cautious what I eat, and how fast I eat it. I don't want the docs not to give me a fill just because I get the odd PB. Does that even make any sense?

Edited by moonbeam
spelling

Question: How long was it before your surgery was scheduled from the time of your first information visit? I went July 7th (where I met Moonbeam :cool2:). They now have my pre-op exam report and labs. How soon after that did they schedule the dietician and psychologist appointments? Should I bug Jen to get appointments?

Thanks for posting that the doctors are on holidays until Aug. 10th. I've been hanging around the phone...waiting for the next step. Doesn't sound like I'll be getting the lap band in August.

Susan

Diva: I only waited about a month between the initial consultation and the surgery.....but as you just indicated with the docs are off for a period of time in August. From what I understand they are already booking into September. Jen will contact you once all your prelim exam results have been gone over....I know with me they had to consult the anestitist as well before booking a date. I would call and talk to Jen if you have concerns.

Question: How long was it before your surgery was scheduled from the time of your first information visit? I went July 7th (where I met Moonbeam :cool2:). They now have my pre-op exam report and labs. How soon after that did they schedule the dietician and psychologist appointments? Should I bug Jen to get appointments?

Thanks for posting that the doctors are on holidays until Aug. 10th. I've been hanging around the phone...waiting for the next step. Doesn't sound like I'll be getting the lap band in August.

Susan

Hi! Nice to see you found us. :smile:

It was about a two month process for me, from the time I first spoke to Jenn until I had the surgery. I would remind Jenn that you are waiting.

Mimi, did you actually meet the anesthesist ahead of time? I would need a consult too as the last time I was under they had trouble intibating me.

Where do you go for the psych assessment? Maples? What did they ask you? For the dietician, do you track your regular eating for awhile before you meet with them? How soon did these appointments happen?

Susan

Greetings All

Welcome Diva! With regards to your question - I saw Dr Andrews for my info session on May 26th and was banded June 9th - about 3 weeks later - but I had no health issues and did not have to meet with the anethitist. In fact they were somewhat surprised that I woke up as soon as I did - surgery at 10:30 and outta there by 1:30.

The psych person was Dr Theresa located near the Misricordia - she was great and it was good to talk to her - I rather enjoyed our session together. Expectation of the surgery, what motivated me to do something about the weight, what kind of support I had from friends and family and who I was planning on telling, as some remain "in the closet" (of which I am one - only my husband knows and you guys on the forum). I saw her about a week before my surgery for about an hour. Nothing to stress over - it is very relaxing.

Moonbeam - congrats on the ticker movement - wa-hoo! That is a big deal. My moment of the day was that I am now down 25 lbs exactly - cheers for me too!

I hope Leslee is doing okay - she seem kinda bummed out with the issues with the back pain and not losing anything.

So, when do you all go for you next fills? I am Sept 1st.

Cheers

IWBAL

DIVA: I didn't meet with the anestitist ahead of time....only saw him briefly right before surgery....but your concerns should be mentioned to Jen and she'll pass them on to the docs. I met with the psychologist about three weeks before surgery and the dietian about two weeks before just intime for me to start the Optifast.< /p>

Hi Everyone, sorry to change the topic a bit but my surgery date was supposed to be August 11 and now I will have to wait til September or possible October because my blood pressure was elevated and I am now trying a new pill for that. The only thing, is I'm scared I"m going to change my mind now!! I really want this surgery but I want it done and over with. Did anyone else experience this back and forth?

Hi Everyone, sorry to change the topic a bit but my surgery date was supposed to be August 11 and now I will have to wait til September or possible October because my blood pressure was elevated and I am now trying a new pill for that. The only thing, is I'm scared I"m going to change my mind now!! I really want this surgery but I want it done and over with. Did anyone else experience this back and forth?

Mandine don't change your mind, in a short while you won't need or may not need the blood pressure pills. Be strong this is just a small set back in the big picture. I had surgery at the maples on Oct 14,2008

Good luck!

Janet

Maybe see you on the waiting room.

weight.png

Edited by toots2008

Hi All!

I hadn't read the forum in a few days and it looks like a lot of stuff has been going on.

IWBAL and mimi: Thanks for the info on the swimsuit places. In the past I usually went to Peepers but the cost sometimes was a bit more than I'm willing to shell out. I got a nice suit there for a trip to cuba I went on a couple winters ago, cost me $120 or something ridiculous, wore it for that trip and one season and now it doesn't fit... I'm happy that its too big but at the same time bummed that I spent that much money on it for such little use.

I too noticed a huge change in my thoughts about food. Its become less of an obsession. I no longer feel the need to constantly eat but I still enjoy my food and cooking and trying new things. There just doesn't seem to be as much emphasis placed on it. I grew up in a family where after we finished eating dinner my mother would be asking what we wanted for dinner the next night... uhmm we'd just eaten. Its nice to not have food be such a central part of life.

Diva: I met with the surgeons initially mid-January and had my surgery on March 7 two almost a two month wait, but worth it. I didn't meet with the anestitist ahead of time just the day of surgery but my medical records were forwarded to her for pre-approval as everyone on the team has to agree that you are a suitable candidate before they go ahead.

Mandine - DON'T CHANGE YOUR MIND. Just think of all of the things you will gain by doing this. One day blood pressure may not be a health concern of yours at all. A few extra months is a small price for a longer life.

Ok, so yeah I was pretty bummed about the back issue and not losing. I've had a few days to myself and have cleaned/cooked it out. It's kind of a family joke that if I'm angry upset I will clean and cook. So my house is sparkling and all my neighbours have Cookies to last a lifetime. On brighter news though I'm starting to feel some restriction! Kind of weird since its been two weeks since my fill but all of a sudden I'm full much faster. Not where I think I should be ideally but its something. Maybe with the next fill I'll be even better. :tongue2:

Thanks for all the information and hints Manitoba bandsters. It's nice to know that you are not alone.

Susan