Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone over 350lbs? success?

I was banded in January 2005. I was exactly 350 lbs when banded. I have had problems with my port flipping & having a doctor who is as new to this surgery as I am. So although I have lost only 25 lbs. I feel soooo..... much better. Now that he has hired a nurse that came from the Lap-band clinic in Dallas, who knows all of the ins & outs of fills, I think we are finally on the right track. I started out just sitting on a blanket on the floor & stretching. Just look up stretching exercises on the web. My husband also bought me an exercise ball that is shaped like a peanut that helps with my stretching also. I always felt like the round balls would shoot out from under my big booty like a missile. LOL!! I have a very bad back & was scared of trying exercise. But this works for me. I recently started walking on my treadmill about a half a mile at least twice a week. I have also been taking my 2 cousins swimming a couple times a week in my Mom's pool. I can lose 5 lbs. overnight just by swimming with the two war whoops. I highly recommend swimming! My Mom has an above ground pool. It's awesome! Well good luck!

Well I started off at 442 day of surgery and now I am in the 40x range--hopefully in a week I will be under the 400's--Yipee. I have a seditary job so I get very little exercise. I am trying to work on that some because I can already see sagging skin some and I do not want that--even though I expect it. I have really little fill at 2.5 cc but my appetite lately has been almost non-existant. In fact for the first time in my life I have to stop and think if I have eaten yet today because I can go till 3 pm and not eat anything all day-without even trying very hard. But by then I am feeling physically tired and need to eat. Its really great to not have hunger pains at all.

My goal weight is the 260-270 mark so I have a way to go but then again I am a large framed man at 6'1" and could pass for a football player easily-and moreso as I loose more weight.

I was 390 when I started out - I feel i'm a success. I'm not at "ideal weight" but where I am will do me for sure!

As for exersize - i'm ashamed to say that I didn't really do much... I do walk now & have even RAN !!! haha.

Good luck to you!

Aud x

Hey there,

I am going to be banded in Sept.:) I am currently at 377, and hope to be around 350 when I bet banded. I have already started South Beaching and I think it was someone on this board that reccomended Callanetics for exercise. I got the AM/PM Callanetics VHS tape for like 3 bucks online and I LOVE IT! :banana it is low impact but a full workout. Also try the Walk Away the Pounds series, I am on the one mile (17 mins) and it is a quick efficient walk. I am acutally back to taking my dog for a stroll around the block! :P

:Bunny ***Swirligirl*** :Bunny

Guest fleona

Had my surgery july 21 and now I down 19 lbs and counting going to have

my first fill august 17, 2005 feeling better that I felt two weeks ago.

You guys are doing great. I'm suppose to get my first fill August 18 but I have gotten my upper gi done yet so I need to make that appointment first and see if I have to reschedule. I have lost 34 pounds. I also belong to a group called TOPS Taking Off Pounds Sensibly. They are a great support group.

You go Swirly, it feels good to get some of the weight off before surgery. Keep up the good work.

Wow, your all doing great. I have question; my surgery was on July 26th and the first week I lost 21 1/2 lbs. since then I haven't lost anything and I'm only eating a 1/4 of what I used to. I can't figure out why I'm not losing more. I'm doing the Vitamins and Protein Shakes but the weight isn't coming off like I think it should. Any advice?

Kari

I belive as nutrition goes, right now your body is holding on to eveything because it is in starvation mode. Are you exercising, you could be building muscles, which weighs more. Are you drinking your Water, it is important to try to get in that 64 oz fluids. Are you eating pasta's or fast food? What are you eating?

Hi

Started at 334. Now I weigh 180 ish. I probably should weigh less, but I have become slightly complacent and just had plastic surgery and a band partial unfill during surgery. Life is good!!!

Babs in TX

334/180

Hi All - not exercising yet. I had a tough time after surgery, espohgas spasms and was losing feeling in my upper thigh. The doc says both are normal, the leg thing is from laying on the operating table for an hour, he said that must of tweaked a nerve in my back. It's a lot better, but if I stand to long it feels like my skin is burning. It's been so darn hot, I haven't been out. Tomorrow I plan to go to the mall and walk. I haven't had Pasta or bread in 4 weeks, can't be that. I know I'm retaining Water, but I'm not eating a lot of salt.

Highest weight was 330 on surgery Day 1/24/05

Now 288

It works but you have to work too!

First few months were quick weightloss and it has now slowed down I am at my second plateau where I keep going up and down 2 lbs.

Good luck

I was banded on august 8/29/05. I weighed 335.4 lbs at the time of surgery and in a week I have lost 17lbs! I hope it keeps going at this rate! I am sure I will plateau but I will survive!

I have lost 17lbs! I hope it keeps going at this rate! I am sure I will plateau but I will survive!

Oh it won't. And you will.

Every ounce lose will become more precious and dear though. One of the few advantages of having a lot of weight to lose is that it initially comes off so fast. Now is the time to learn new habits that you will sorely need as your shrinking subsides. Please take this to heart now so you won't get discouraged later.

Congratulations and enjoy it while you can!

When I first started this journey I was at my all time highest weight of 367 and I did just fine through the surgery and in a little over a year I lost over 125lbs! I really didn't start exercising seriously and then hit a few bumps in the road, had the band deflated and gained back alot of weight, but please realize this was my choice. I was being really foolish and finally came back to my senses and started this time at 349 when I got a fill again, it's been six weeks and I have lost over 33lbs and that's without exercise. I have a heart condition and diabetes so it's very difficult for me to do much. I need to loose a little more weight before I start that.

Hope this helps ease some of your fears. As you can see, many of us were way up there on the scale and have managed to do great with the band. I love it, it allowed me to mess up and come right back to correcting my poor judgement.

Best wishes and Good luck!!

Cindy